Any good fiction book suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mosquitomountainman, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I'd prefer fiction books here if you don't mind. It will keep the list manageable.

We just finished the book "One Second After." It's about EMP attacks on the US and most of the developed world. Decent reading and a little scary when you understand it's one of those things that could become a reality. Has its faults but has a pile of good stuff too. Our copy is out on loan now and probably will be for the next several months. We're hoping to open the eyes of those we care about to how quickly (and severely) things can go bad.

I highly recommend it.

2. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did read that book when it first came out. Pretty good story. I liked that it has a forward from Newt Gingrich and an afterward by the fellow who did a lot of the research for the government. Good read.

I am a big fan of the "Dies the Fire" series of books by S.M. Stirling. In the first book, there is an event that "tweaks" the laws of physics slightly, so that the energy produced by detonations is reduced, so no firearms, no engines, no electricity. Mankind is thrust back into the Dark Ages. The first three books are the best, i've re-read them countless times. The next three books deal with the second generation, for whom the Changed world is the norm, it's what they've grown up with, and those books delve a little deeper into mysticism and such, so if you are not into that sort of thing, it may be a turn-off.

I also recently read "Alas, Babylon" which is a classic of the genre, and a great story. Rather dated, as it is set in the late Fifties/early Sixties, but still a good read.

After that, I read "Patriots". . . I cannot stress enough, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME! It is basically a how-to book, which the author for some reason felt the need to envelope in a VERY thin plot. Skip it and buy his actual how-to book.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Lucifer's Hammer. :2thumb:

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Are you looking only for SHTF fiction?

5. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

For the most part...

SHTF types give me things to think about and prepare for. For example, I never gave much thought about dogs (eat them or feed them) in a SHTF situation until I read One Second After.