Any Campers Here

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Meerkat, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Foolish Question,huh?

We use to use tents and as we aged we had to have electric or solar at least for fan in summer and electric blanket in winter. Never used solar though but now we can if we go back to tent.
    I'm good at setting up these new age tents. No more poles with numbers or letters to deal with that keep sliding out of place.
    We bought two twin beds with frames that are so comfy. We put them side by side and it is leek a king size bed. Bed in a bag weighs just 40lb.s each. Unfold and blow up accordign to firmness you want. Walmart for $130.00 each. Still use the Coleman stove we bought 30 yr.s ago.
    We have survived some strong storms worst two in Florida. Worse one ever in Miami. Second here at home.

2. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

We started camping again last year.
    Bought a 34 foot motor home. :D
    My wife's idea of roughing it is no room service.
    A tent will never happen again..

3. Meerkat

I understand closest thing we had to an rv was my bus 1991 schoolie that I sold over a year ago. It was my favorite but doing brake shoes bearings,in axels, drums, rotors ,shoes ect. Son helped do the heavy lifting. Once we had it in great condition I sold it. Had some help from Ironman. Hope I got name right?
    You ever go to IRV2? I was a real smash on that site,lol. Haven't banned me last I checked though.

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

My camping style varies greatly. Sometimes we go to a cabin in the woods, sometimes we rent or borrow an RV and sometimes when it's just me and the boys (and one girl) we rough it in tents. My wife won't go unless there is a legit restroom available.

I like to go camping in the winter, at least once a year (but it does not always work out). No one else is even willing to go except my oldest boy. That camping is usually in a friends remote rustic cabin, but you care going to work to provide a limited amount of heat.

5. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

We camp quite a bit. Not as much this year because the wife is pregnant. Im smart enough not to even ask. We use tents or build shelters and i enjoy the air mattress. Can't wait for the new kid to be born and be big enough to go again!

6. Meerkat

We always had a porta toilet and chemicals. Has a nice seat on it, flushes and is leak proof.
    They can be dangerous in storms though but they DON'T LEAK when bashed up against a shin bone.
    Camping on the beach and a sqall aka water spout came ashore and tore us and the tent up. We couldn't find the zipper to get out.
    I don't like sleeping in other peoples bed or using toilets in motels,hotels.

7. Meerkat

Camping is fun with kids. I know your really enjoy that.

8. bacpacker

bacpacker Well-Known Member

We used to backpack year round. Any camping trip was in a tent. But in 1991 wife was in a bad car wreck and suffered a broken neck. While she was blessed beyond belief to not be paralyazed, she has been greatly limited since. (She had the same injury Christopher Reeve Superman suffered). We've only backpacked together a handful of times together since. To make up for it we got a pop up and used it for many years and in a lot of states. Once we hit our 50s with the popup wearing out, we decided to get a 5th wheel. Haven't camped as much in it for various reasons, including her health. But also consider it a viable BOL to set up at a friends location, should it ever come to that. We've already used it as such for a short term SHTF event that we had to evacuate our home for due to a train wreck some miles away.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. Meerkat

BackP ,we have a TT aka travel trailer, but we don't go that much anymore either. Kids live on cliff sides or no yard flat enough to park it. And it is too big for just us. Our old van seems to pull it ok I just don't want to mess up m van pulling it. I had to sell my bus but I'm not sellign my van.

Sorry about your wife glad she isn't paralized,thank goodness for that.
    I have bad neck pain at times so I feel for her.

10. kd4ulw

kd4ulw Active Member

I go back country camping when I can. I use a tent hammock, beats sleeping on the ground! If you’ve never tried it you don’t know what you’re missing, you don’t wake up sore but the only bad side is you don’t have much room inside for ‘stuff’. When it’s cold I use a down-filled underquilt. It got to 19°F that night so I had the tarp as close as I could to block the wind.[​IMG]

11. Balls004

Balls004 Not new, just older

I still like to camp, but now not only does the wife need something soft to sleep on, so do I. The Eno hammock is comfortable enough for a long nap, but I'm stove up pretty good if I sleep in it all night. The air mattresses seem like cheating, but hey, if we get to sit around a good fire, I don't mind cheating. Mostly we just camp on our property nowadays, if we go somewhere, there's a cabin involved. That's not camping, just a rustic vacation.

12. bugoutbob

bugoutbob Work in progress

I can and have camped in everything from a blanket under the stars, or an expedient shelter under the snow by a fallen tree to tents, tent trailers, trucks with campers and rv’s.
    As I get older I prefer my comforts and the camper on the back of the truck or our old camperized van are my faves. I don’t need a ton of luxury, just find I sleep better when it’s not on the ground (aching bones and stiff otherwise). Can also use them as a temporary BOL

13. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

One of my buddy's dad was camping up near Mt.Washington he runs the same thing you do. Just before day light a deer came running through his camp and hit his hammock with him in it. Knocked him right out of it and got tangled for a second and ran off. It radished his setup. He didn't know what hit him till he got his flashlight and saw the deer tracks. I wish he was still with us because listening to him tell the story is so so funny! After that he would run a rope around the trees to make a makeshift fence. Used to crack me up!

14. Meerkat

Oh dear or deer!
    Last thing you'd think you have to worry about is a deer,lol.

15. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

I camp all the time. Hate tents love hammocks and tarps. I generally go real light.

My version of "glamping" when I took my nephew :)
    20171007_182139.jpg

16. bugoutbob

bugoutbob Work in progress

More than once tent camping we have been awakened by bear. On at least two occasions by elk and twice by a herd of bison. Not to mention numerous encounters with a multitude of smaller critters. Camping is never boring

17. DrPrepper

DrPrepper Supporting Member

I used to love snow camping - pile the snow up around the tent and it gets toasty warm inside! Hubby does not like camping, but I do. I guess that comes from me being a ground pounder happily slogging through the mud and him being a squid-type and sitting nice and clean and dry on his ship!

18. terri9630

terri9630 Internet Princess

My Grandpa used to go camping. He always came back with towels and soap that had green lettering that said something about a holiday....

19. Meerkat

Oh my BOB, I may not like camping after these things happened.
    Glad you came out ok.

Unlike these two poor souls. Of course this man was really tempting fate with these Grizzlies.

20. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Does a 28' 2015 coachman catalina TT count?