Antennas

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ReconCraftTheta, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

Does anyone know if copper magnet wire would make for good antenna wire? Thanks.

2. KI4DFC

KI4DFC Member

Copper magnet wire is pretty small in diameter. It would work but not all that great for any long distances. 16 or 18 gauge wire would work better for a antenna.

It would make great snare wire for rabbit and game though.

3. ReconCraftTheta

That's what I was thinking. Right now, literally, what I'm using is a large gauge aluminum fence wire, which is okay, but isn't the greatest.

4. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

For what use?

Are you going to just monitoring, or will you be transmitting? Different uses dictate the type, and guage of wire that is needed. A good reference is the ARRL Antenna Book:

ARRL :: Antennas :: The ARRL Antenna Book

although a bit pricey at $44.95!

You might try getting a copy at a library and photocopying the pertinent pages, or you can look for a used copy at sites like Amazon:

Amazon.com: The Arrl Antenna Book (19th Ed./Bk&CD-ROM) (9780872598041): R. Dean Straw: Books

In my youth, I thumb tacked aluminum foil around the perimeter of my bedroom wall, up near the ceiling, and used an alligator clip to attach the lead wire to my short wave receiver and got good results, until Mom saw it :eek: and told me to take it down!

If you are transmitting, you'll need a heavier guage wire, depending on the power level desires, and a way to match the output to the antenna, especially if it is a long wire antenna.

Google the following; "Matching long wire antennas" and see what pops up...lots of good info! :)

5. ReconCraftTheta

Thanks! Yeah, my neighbor's an exham and told me about that book. I'm half tempted to try the tinfoil thing, just for kicks! haha.

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Recon,
    I don't know squat about ham radios so I'm going to derail this thread just for a second to say; Love the new avatar!! :2thumb:

7. ReconCraftTheta

ha, thanks! pink floyd is pretty awesome!