Another store is closing in our little town.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Clarice, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Another store is closing in our little town. It was a general merchandise store. Been in business for years. Also gas prices jumped 25 cents a gallon in one week. Right at $3.00/gal now.

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Gee, sorry to hear another store is closing. :( I feel bad for the owners and whoever worked for them.

That's terrible about the gas prices! It actually dropped here about 4 cents the week before Thanksgiving! I bet it's gone up here, too, or will soon.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

we had a gas drop also, and lucky for me I filled my barrels because it has risen to almost $3 here as well :mad: hopefully I have enough to last until Spring, I guess it depends on how much snow I have to plow, more snow means more gas used, but more $$$ so I am hoping for lots of white stuff :nuts:

4. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I feel for them. There is a general store in my parents town that had been in business for over 35 years and closed because of bankruptcy just last month. Sad to see.

5. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

China Mart strikes again! This happened to our little town, nothing left but a sorry Super China Mart!

6. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Holidays er comin, get yer vaseline ready, there gonna stick it to us at the pumps again! Won't be happy till they bankrupt this country.

7. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

A local store in my hometown is closing their doors this week also. It did not help that the store itself was nasty, unkept and pricey so I understand why they are closing their doors.

Here in Western PA, Gas went from 2.99/gal unleaded to 3.09/gal Monday morning when the snow storm started. I do not know if storms can be part of the reason gas prices change or not. Is it a possible cause and effect?

8. hillbilly

hillbilly Active Member

I live in central Pa and the gas went from 2.99 to 3.14 yesterday sometime.As far as china mart they have been putting small stores out of bussiness for yrs now.We make a lot of crafts and Wal-mart put them out of bussiness then quit carrying craft products they do that with a lot of things like plants also.People are just to slow tom see it happening and still buy there I personally have not been to Wal-mart in about 3 yrs I would rather spend a little more and buy from a local small store to support the American economy.But I did buy a motor for a customer and it came from Mexico so will be buying them else where from now on.I personally don't think it is the weather it is that the Government knows people will buy no matter what.They have to make money somewhere to throw away and waste.Sorry just my opinion.

9. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I never said the prices changed because of the weather. I was asking if it were a possibility that the weather could affect prices. Many different things change the price at the pump. Being that I'm still a young and stupid, I'd like to be aware of the why and how of price jumps.

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

They seem to use ANY excuse to raise gas prices...including a lot of stormy/bad weather. Usually does that near a holiday, too, so I was surprised when it went down a few cents here right before Thanksgiving. I'm itching to get out and see what prices are here now; to see if they've gone up.

Salek, I just read what you wrote on the other thread, the "young people" thread, and I'm happy to know you're another one of the younger crowd! Not only is it cool that you're learning all this stuff, sometimes the younger generation, with their fresh eyes, see things we older folks didn't, or think of things from a different perspective! We can learn from YOU, as well!

I like your plans and thoughts. I'm glad you have family members to teach you some of the things you want to learn! :2thumb:

11. hillbilly

hillbilly Active Member

hold on Sal I didn't say you were young and stupid.I was just saying the Government will put the prices up to make money on people anytime they want.They know people will be traveling during the holidays and also in the summer months so they raise the price to generate revenue.I apologize if you think I was putting you down.I would rather help than hurt you.

12. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

It dropped a penny here yesterday an I sure weren't surprised taday when it jumped up 14 cents. There be no real rime ner reason ta it, just the holidays comin up an time ta stick it ta joe consumer.:surrender:

Sides, somebody gotta pay fer all that oil floatin round out there in the ocean, didn't think BP gonna take that loss now did ya?

13. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

My best friend's Italian restaurant in my one mule town will be closing soon, he doesn't know it yet but I can see it........three years ago he decided to buy a new house and I told him not to do it .....but.......he did it anyway. He was living in a small trailer behind his restaurant for free.

The reason that I know for the above is that once in a while I park close to his restaurant to see what is going on and many nights he has only one client, the waitres working for him makes more money than him......with winter coming in he will have almost no clients.

14. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Up date. Just found out the Fred's $ store in this town is closing in January. That just leaves 1 grocery, a Dollar General and a Drug Store all owned by the same family. This doesn't look good. Any one else experiencing the same in their town? (Not to worry the government says the ecconomy is making a come back.)

15. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

The only thing expanding in my little town is the pawn shop......just to be one small unit and now is three after the gift shop next to it closed down.

16. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

store closed

Bummer to hear that, but around here they been closing for 4 yrs..cant compete with the super china store..I cant remember the last time I was in a mom/pop store..the one across town from SWM even closed and that was one of the early time convienence stores..a good 15 mins away from wallyworld

17. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

There's a guy here in Pittsburgh, Rick Sebak, who makes documentaries for the local PBS station. Years ago he did a segment on this old timey hardware store on Pittsburgh's South Side about an old time, wooden floored hardware store and how they sell everything and the same family's owned it for years. Well, here recently there was another one mentioning that the store was closing for all the same reasons listed above in the other posts. The same story happens all over the place, but this one happened to be documented on TV for the world to see. It was pretty sad.

Last night I paid $3.07 for regular. I'm about an hour and a half SW of Salekdarling. Thankfully, Salekdarling, you kept all the snow up your way. We got a dusting. I owe you one! :)