Another Ohioan here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PamsPride, Dec 21, 2010.

1. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to register!
    I am a stay at home, home schooling mom of 6 awesome kiddos ages 15-1! I enjoy canning, gardening, and sewing. Right now I am on a dehydrating kick after watching several dehydrating youtube videos! I was given 50 food grade 5 gallon buckets the other day and my goal is to fill 10 of them with dehydrated food...lofty goal I know...but I will try! The other 40 buckets I am going to use for bucket gardening for cucumbers and green beans. I have chickens, turkeys, ducks and goats on 2 acres. My 15 yo (and the neighbor) built me a goat house this summer, which can be seen on my blog at Pam's Pride .
    I plan on getting a milk cow next summer.
    My DH does not have the prepper gene but he does humor me, a little. We have a garden and I am slowly adding more fruit trees every year.
    I am trying to talk all my children into owning a large farm and all of us living and working on it when they are older and married.
    That is all I can think of right now. I am always open to ideas and suggestions on becoming more self sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like you're really on top of things. Congrats.

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Hello fellow buckeye! :wave:

We homeschool, too. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the state - I have a feeling we could learn a lot from each other. Neat blog - I'm going to enjoy looking at that more closely.

What sort of fruit trees do you have? Still working on ours here. Like your DH, my DH isn't into prepping, but does humor me a little, and a lot of prepping is about being self-sufficient, and he's into that. So I'm hoping for more fruit trees in the coming year, hehehe. ;)

LOVE your bucket/dehydrating plan! 50 buckets - what a great score! :congrat:

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:pamsPride from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

5. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

We have pear, peach, and apple trees. Only 2 pears and 1 apple has produced anything for us so far. The goats got the one producing apple tree though.
    A friend of mine works at Dean's Dairy so he hooks me up with the buckets. We used some when we were canning last year and the buckets literally held my food hostage because we could not get them back off! LOL! It took my DH and my 15 yo to get the lids off!
    I get a lot of produce for free from friends!! My neighbor gave us around 200 pounds of potatoes, plus we grew some in our garden so we ended up with around 400# of potatoes this year. Another friend gives us all the sweet corn and apples we can pick.

I am always on the look out for someone giving away canning jars! It seems like I can never put up enough food or store enough. I know that we have more food stored than 90% of my friends but with 8 of us here, and 3 teen/preteen boys, yeah well you can never have enough food! They all know how to cook so I can not even disguise the food as ingredients either!

We sometimes wash our clothes by hand! :sssh: Don't tell my friends or they will think I am crazier than they already think I am!! My DH put me up a second clothes line this summer so I could hang more clothes out at a time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:welcome: to the forum... Medina/Wayne County here :congrat:

:scratch do you keep the chickens away from the ducks?

I seem to remember that there is a parasite (Coccidia?) that affects both, but is lethal to one... :dunno:

have you harvested any fruits/nuts yet?

were the apple & pear trees loaded in your area this year?

hope to hear more about your varied poultry flock :wave:

7. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

My poultry flock is just out there together! Always have been. I have never had any problems with them. Chickens and turkeys have come and gone over the years. We still have one duck that has been there since the beginning, Jack. His mate, Quackers, died a year or so ago. She had a bad hip and hobbled around for several years that way. Then we got a new duck, Lucky, last year. It was given to us by one of DH's co-workers. We are pretty sure it is a male as well. It is named Lucky because he was the only one their cat did not get out of the brooder box.
    We have raised meat chickens a couple of times in the past and I would like to do so again next year.
    We have an incubator and have hatched turkeys and chickens ourselves from our own flock. A friend of mine's children are actually WAY better at hatching than we are and they use our incubators! LOL! We are thinking it is because their house is more humid over all than ours.
    I bought a Bourbon Red Tom turkey at Rogers the Friday before Easter and hatched 4 eggs this year. Next year I am going to let my two hens sit and see how they do because one of my hens was VERY broody last year! I think there are pictures of them on my blog, along with the 4 I hatched.

The fruit trees were ok this year. My friend that gives us pears and apples got hit (waiting on the post that talks about that to be approved) with the late frost and one pear tree did not produce at all. My two pears trees that I recently planted did very well for their first year producing. The apples were good though I have seen better yields in other years. My one neighbor got hit by a blight or something on the one apple that he gave us apples from last year, which we were counting on because they were HUGE and perfect for cider/juice. I don't have any nut trees and unfortunately I don't know anyone else that does either.

8. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:welcome: to the forums!

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

Sounds like you're doing great! I loved reading about what you've done. And wow! Great acquisition on the 5-gallon buckets!

:)

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome!

Come on in. :D

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Pamspride-you have a great place set up there. I just skimmed your blog quickly but I did bookmark it for future rereading, as in, after out 2 year old goes to bed tonight. What caught my eye is the canoes-they're from Jamestown. My family goes camping at Pymatuning a lot. We also have chickens and rabbits and hope to get some cattle this spring. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

13. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Thanks Jason! We love to go over there and go swimming too. It is generally pretty quiet over there. We camp on the Ohio side of the lake.
    Have you been to the Cherry Valley Bulk goods store?

14. Jason

No...where's that one at? We usually stay around Linesville/Espeyville. There's an excellent little bulk store in Linesville, too. It's owned by Ginny Headley and the store is called Ginny's. She's a great lady with a really nice family and the store has top quality stuff at great prices. we've become friends with her over the last couple years.

15. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

The Cherry Valley bulk goods store is on Stoddard Hayes about a half mile south of route 6. They have some bulk foods, wood stoves, wooden lawn decorations, wood craft furniture, and canning jars, and more. I like that they carry half gallon canning jars.
    I will have to check out Ginny's sometime.

16. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I looked up Ginny's and it looks like they have a larger selection of food than Cherry Valley from the pictures I seen on their site.

17. Jason

Ginny is the best. She's a real sweet lady and just a down-home good person. If you stop in, sometimes she isn't there because she helps with her granddaughter but her employee is really nice too. And sometimes her mom even helps out. It's a wood floored old timey place that just sucks you back in time as soon as you hit the door.

18. Jason

I just looked at her site, too. I've never seen it (the web site) the red machine on the table in her one pic is her fresh ground peanut butter machine. It grinds honey roasted peanuts into the best peanut butter I've ever tasted.

19. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Fellow homeschooler here!:wave: I, too, love my dehydrator. Dried tomatoes are the best!