Another form of chemical dependance

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by NaeKid, Jan 30, 2014.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...ling+amounts+cups+products/9450096/story.html

'Caffeine use disorder' made worse by lack of labelling of amounts on cups, products: U.S. study

Anyone here consider themselves addicted to caffine / coffee / etc? Have you considered reducing your coffee intake?

2. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

I drink one to one and a half cups in the morning and that is it, and no soda's or other caffine drinks..when I do not drink any caffine with in two days I have a headache..

3. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

I have about the same amount as RevWC, any more and I experience a Tachycardia from Hell and can't sleep.

4. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

I don't always have a cup of coffee in the morning, but I do most mornings. Once in a while I have a second cup. I have to be very careful with caffeine. If have a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or tea later in the day, it can keep me awake in the middle of the night. Even having chocolate later in the day can wake me up in the middle of the night. I don't drink soda very often either and soda with caffeine is another thing that will keep me awake in the middle of the night. Soda is something I drink when I've been working outside and I need some electrolytes. Even then, I avoid caffeine.

5. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

I used to drink coffee in the morning & cokes all day. I've eliminated all the cokes except for a few a week but it took me awhile to accomplish that. I still have about 12oz of coffee in the morning that I have no intention of giving up. I will get a headache if I don't have my coffee. Excedrin has caffeine in it & so will end the headache.

6. BlackDogWV

BlackDogWV Well-Known Member

Balderdash! :)

(this is the natural kneejerk reaction of one who roasts coffee for a living)

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I drink 20-30 cups some days:D I think of it as dry tripping :D been doing it for almost 30 years now:eek: maybe that's why im jumpier than a fly on a turd pile some days:eek:

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I have two 12 oz cups of black coffee with breakfast, a third on the way to work, a fourth at work, and sometimes a fifth later in the day. I drink no pop, caffeinated or otherwise, and have a cup of tea most evenings, sometimes with caffeine, sometimes without, like an herbal tea.

I'm a caffeine addict. I'll get headaches and be miserable without my coffee. I love the stuff. But it's my worst vice-I don't use tobacco or illegal drugs at all and drink very little alcohol. I gotta be human! :p:)

9. Dakine

Dakine Uber Newbie

no coffee at all.

when I'm working from home, I drink soda by the 2L bottle full, and I can easily kill a 2L before lunch.

When I'm at the office, I drink a LOT of water, I have a 20 oz cup at my desk an I will fill that between 5 and 9 times daily. I'm always hydrating.

For me coffee is a barter item, and beerz are something I will just have to adapt to being unavailable :( :( :( lol

10. dirtgrrl

dirtgrrl Well-Known Member

I love my addiction. No coffee and I get headachy and grumpy and very, very tired. I can drink a whole pot in the morning.

It's one of the things I would consider killing for post-SHTF.

11. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Same here, except my caffeine is in pop form. My morning 'coffee' is Diet Pepsi, my evening 'tea' is Diet Pepsi, and there will probably be a Diet Dr. Pepper or two in the middle of the day. When I go for a period of time without caffeine I can feel the effects of that absence - there's no doubt in my mind that it's an addiction. I have no other vices - no drinking, no smoking, nothing like that. But when it comes to caffeine, I stink. :eek:

12. helicopter5472

helicopter5472 Well-Known Member

Well I drink 3 cups a day as a regular, and since I work till 12.30 sometimes another. I went cold turkey for three days, I missed it, but it didn't effect my mood or irritability. I only sleep 4 to 5 hours normally and can drink coffee and go strait to bed no effects...:coffee:

13. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

I drink 3-4 mugs of coffee ( cups of coffee are that.cups 8oz. ever see the old coffee cups from the 30's,40's 50's,etc?) every morning. After that I drink a mug of decaf tea in the afternoons ( which still has caffeine but way less).
    Since I've seen that the price of coffee is supposed to go up or already has gone up in price I will start to cut back. I've also thought about switching over to tea exclusively

I think this is also about how people use those "energy" drinks too. They really abuse them and then have medical problems. I'm guessing that is what the the article is really about.

14. bacpacker

bacpacker Well-Known Member

Never been a coffee drinker. Maybe a couple mugs if I get sleepy when traveling. Gave up soft drinks altogether a few years back. I do love Iced tea, hot tea to for that matter. But generally always get decaf.

15. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

I try to live a healthy lifestyle so I don't drink coffee, just Mountain Dew.

16. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

snicker- Dew has more caffeine than coffee as if you didn't know.

I drink a pot of coffee before the wife wakes up and more all day. If I wake during the night I drink a cup of instant to get back to sleep.

I have 40 - 34 ounce cans of coffee in our stash plus a few jars of instant.

17. labotomi

labotomi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how that got started but;

Mountain Dew : 55mg caffeine per 12 Oz serving
    Coffee : 108mg per 8 Oz serving (brewed), 145mg (drip)

18. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I am hopelessly addicted. I drink a full pot of coffee every morning at home, another full pot at the shop. Around 2pm I switch over to coke or iced tea until bed time.

19. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Maybe pick up a Mr. Beer kit and store that. You can buy extra cans of the starter stuff (hopped malt extract) and you probably already have sugar. It's really easy.

Post-SHTF you can make your own beers!:beercheer:

20. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Why not start making your own beers now?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/

:wave: