Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I PM'ed UncleJoe about this last night and he liked the idea so I figured I'd run it past the quiettime folks.

Sometimes people on here mention that it'd be nice to be able to chat real time. That got me to thinking about a way we might be able to do that.

Back around 2000-2001 timeframe my friends and I all used a chat function called ICQ (I seek you) that just ran in the bottom of the screen and allowed you to chat with people as you surfed the web. It turns out that ICQ is still around. It was free and looks like it still is.

I was thinking that maybe we could download that and log on there using our usernames from here and then be able to real time chat. It'd be seperate from this forum but so what? If I remember right (I haven't downloaded it yet pending the responses this post gets) you could set it to available for chat, not available, etc.

It's similar to facebook chat if anyone is familliar with that.

What do you all think? Worth trying or bad idea?

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I am on facebook. We could friend each other and then form our own special group on Facebook. Only the people invited to the special group are able to read it and there is a chat box that shows whoever is in the special group that is on and then only lets them chat.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea...I sent you a PM.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
You all can send me a friend request to BillandPam Ritter and I can add you to the Prepared Society group. Make sure you say you are from here in the friend request please....or you will get a message demanding to know why you want to friend request me and how you know me! LOL!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
There is a PS Facebook group already - on the top-right of the screen you may notice a Facebook "F" --- that is the link to the FB-group.

You can find me there - same name as here.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I am not seeing the option of a private chat group on that though. It looks like if you post on there everyone will see it?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Sorry. I don't do facebook.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I'm expecting a lot of that. If this chat route doesn't work and we do do something like ICQ anyone who is on FB can at least hook up there anyway.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those people who don't do fb, would you be interested in a stand alone real time chat program?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
MMM and I each have Facebook, but our time online is going to be sketchy while we're here in Nevada.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
For those people who don't do fb, would you be interested in a stand alone real time chat program?
What ever you guys can work out. :2thumb:

Things are going to start hopping around here soon ... lambs, kid goats, calves and the garden. (homesteading stuff :2thumb:)

So ... I'm not sure how much time I'll have. Also my son got his first 'real job' today :congrat: ... but that will take my farm help away ... lol

So Ill have to see.

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
How about using a WebCam and seeing and talking to each other face-to-face? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
No webcam here. No plans to get one. What ever they cost, I sure I can find a better place for that money. :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
No Facebook for me I completely erased myself from there last summer. I like the ICQ idea, or could we skype each other and talk in a group chat for free?

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not familliar with skype. How does it work?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm not familliar with skype. How does it work?
I'm not that familiar with it either, just joined only used it with my uncle but you use your computer and dial up your friends anywhere in the world for free. While with my aunt & uncle in Hondouras I was able to dial up and talk to my cousins in Hawaii and France for free. Since we had video cameras on our laptops we could also see each other. When you talk to some one not on skype the cost is 2.5 cents anywhere in the world. I will be with my uncle in a couple of days and practice and learn more. It would be cool to do group visits.:2thumb:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just downloaded ICQ. It's still free and it only took a few minutes to run through the process. I'll have it running for the next couple days if we have any takers here who want to real time chat. It's at ICQ.com and just follow the prompts.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I'll check it out in the morning. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.