Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my local sporting goods store and thought I would buy my brother some 9mm for his birthday, they didn't have any! I looked all over town and it was all gone, including .223 and .45 along with many others. .22 and shot gun shells were all that was available. I had to get on a list for what I wanted and my number will come up in a couple of weeks. I knew ammo was tight but not this tight. also a 20 round box of .223 is $12.99. I was also told ammo would be taxed like booze and cigs. I've been thinking about concentrating more on my 12 guage more and getting rifled slugs and other ammo for it.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey since you're doing that, come take the MilCopp Tactical .22LR class and the shotgun class. We're a couple hours south in C-bus!

I've been trying to stay away from the whole buying ammo thing for a while now, I've even looked into a shotgun press for my reloading needs. I wouldn't worry about an ammo tax right now, BHO has other things on his mind.

·
Greenhorn
96 Posts
I stopped by my local sporting goods store and thought I would buy my brother some 9mm for his birthday, they didn't have any! I looked all over town and it was all gone, including .223 and .45 along with many others. .22 and shot gun shells were all that was available. I had to get on a list for what I wanted and my number will come up in a couple of weeks. I knew ammo was tight but not this tight. also a 20 round box of .223 is $12.99. I was also told ammo would be taxed like booze and cigs. I've been thinking about concentrating more on my 12 guage more and getting rifled slugs and other ammo for it.:)
Working at the sporting goods counter you wouldn't believe how many times I hear this, except .22LR is hard to get too. It seems many people haven't been buying lately, as it has been this way for 6 months now. Many "experts" thought the bubble would last only till May. They were wrong. I think they forgot to include human nature in their formula. What is happening is a few people think they need 5-10,000 rounds or more stockpiled. I know some people that have over 20,000 rounds of 22LR. Those people are not leaving any on the shelf for the guy who just wants a box to plink with, where a box would normally last him a couple months or longer. That guy keeps having a hard time finding it, then when he does, he buys all he can afford, leaving none for the next guy. So the cycle continues.....

If people would be sensible about it, the bubble would burst faster than it is. (It is bursting... but not a "pop", just a slow leak...)

Honestly these people are HURTING the cause of gun ownership, but they don't care. It is all about themselves. Human nature again. Right now we have more gun owners then probably ever before. We should be letting them get a box or two to plink with so they can get hooked too. There have been a couple occasions were a guy just wants to get his son's first .22LR. Some of those guys change their mind when they find out about the ammo scarcity. The more people that we have start out early, the better trained our fellow gun owners are. The more people we have on our side, the better chance we as a people have to stand up against tyrannical gun control laws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Working at the sporting goods counter you wouldn't believe how many times I hear this, except .22LR is hard to get too. It seems many people haven't been buying lately, as it has been this way for 6 months now. Many "experts" thought the bubble would last only till May. They were wrong. I think they forgot to include human nature in their formula. What is happening is a few people think they need 5-10,000 rounds or more stockpiled. I know some people that have over 20,000 rounds of 22LR. Those people are not leaving any on the shelf for the guy who just wants a box to plink with, where a box would normally last him a couple months or longer. That guy keeps having a hard time finding it, then when he does, he buys all he can afford, leaving none for the next guy. So the cycle continues.....

If people would be sensible about it, the bubble would burst faster than it is. (It is bursting... but not a "pop", just a slow leak...)

Honestly these people are HURTING the cause of gun ownership, but they don't care. It is all about themselves. Human nature again. Right now we have more gun owners then probably ever before. We should be letting them get a box or two to plink with so they can get hooked too. There have been a couple occasions were a guy just wants to get his son's first .22LR. Some of those guys change their mind when they find out about the ammo scarcity. The more people that we have start out early, the better trained our fellow gun owners are. The more people we have on our side, the better chance we as a people have to stand up against tyrannical gun control laws.
I agree and disagree. I am one of the people that have 5,000 to 6,000 rounds at all times. I have this because of situations like this. I shoot a lot, at a minimum of 100 rounds a week from my .22. When I am in a loacal store that sales ammo and they have a brick of .22's, I buy them. I do this because most of the time when I am in, they do not have them in stock. I have no intention of going in and buying up every box of bullets I can find, but when I run across them, but bet I make the purchase. A box of 550 last some folks a year, some times they last me a little over a week if I have time to shoot. It is great to start the shooters out young, and they will be better, and safer handeling firearms for it. There is a problem with a lot of folks buying up the ammo, but to often, it is that person that just bought their first gun out of fear of a government collapse, or civil war that is buying everything up. The avid shooter always has a stockpile of ammo, and has no need to go out and buy everything up.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm guilty of hoarding. Every time I go to the club and they have another 180 ammo box full of 12 gauge shells I can't resist. It's not like ammo goes bad. I'll eventually shoot it.

I've got four boxes now. That's 720 shells. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting another box next time becuase I don't know when I'll be able to get shells that cheaply ever again.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started this thread the day I stopped by Dicks Sporting Goods to get some 9mm ammunition, I am still waiting for my number to come up, people are still buying and hoarding all they can. This is bad for the shooting sport. It has been about 6 weeks now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Picked up 150 rounds of 9 mm at Wally World and another 75 at Bass Pro. If you are not opposed to paying with a credit card try Georgia Arms. they are short on 380 and 9 mm right now but will notify you when it is in. No wait list just first come first serve.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Shooting isn't as popular here as it is in the U.S. so we still have ammo for sale. My local gun club just got a lot of surplus 9mm and 5.56mm in stock. However, they do put limits on the number of boxes a single customer is allowed to buy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm still having the same problem just outside of Cleveland. One of the employees there said they haven't recovered from the big run on ammo in Dec where they said ammo sales for the country were up 4xs the annual amount in a single month. He went on to say that there was a shortage of primers as well....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Miracle of miracles there seems to have been a change, either people have finally bought enough, panic buying has tapered off or the ammo manufacturers have ramped up their output to match the demand. Whatever, Wally world and our local Bi-Mart membership store have a very good supply of ammo, .38, 380 ACP, 44 Mag., 40 S&W, .223 and a few other high demand cal. ammo were on the shelf. I could have gotten nearly 3,000 rounds of 40 S&W. Wal-Mart had Federal 180 gr FMJ 40 S&W for $12+ per 50 rounds. Bi-Mart had 380 ACP 88gr JHP for $37.89 per 100 rounds.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Things seem to have loosened up around here also. Wally has a fairly good selection right now. I stopped in there on Mon. and was pleasantly surprised. I was able to get a couple bricks of .22 which I haven't seen for about 4 months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Supply Getting Better

I agree - ammunition is getting much better, at least in my area. I have family in South Carolina where 1oo rounds of 9mm costs $40 - when you can get it; I can get as much as I want here for $10/box.
Since the gun counters are quieter now too, I would say most of the panic buying is over. But primers for reloading are still almost impossible to get, probably becuase they are all going into full up ammo.
If I am buying in volume or a less common round, I use AmmoEngine: Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals to find a good deal.

·
Greenhorn
96 Posts
Ammo is still scarce here. 40 S&W comes in the most often, and sticks around for a couple days, but even it sells out. You can almost forget about 9mm, 45, .22lr, and the rest. Even rifle rounds still somewhat hard to get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
down here in colorado....the ammo situation was depressing to say the least, the local gun shop/ace hardware/grocery store/bait and tackle store/gas station/car wash place(all rolled into one little bldg.)....................didnt have anything except shot gun rounds and 22"s. they said that everything was on back order.......well that made me nervous so i went to one of those auction web sites and played the bidding game and was actually pretty lucky in the 45 ACP dept.....got 500 rounds ...45 auto..185 grain XTP hornady(custom) for 225.00. i dont think ive ever used hornady before but i thought it was a good price.in the plinkin dept i bought 1000 rounds of wolf 115 grain 9mm luger for 160.00 bucks....thats 8.00 bucks a box of fifty. then we made a trip up to cabelas and i bought some more 45 acp rounds up there. but stuff is comin back around and i recently noticed the local gun shop now has a good supply back in stock...but of course evrything is a little higher in price....go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
im in the same boat but ive been reloading since 1976 and i go to the local skeet range once a month and get a 55 gal barrel of 12 gage shell to reload also i get all the 45,357,38 sp.,30-06,30-30 and now 44mag empty shell as its cheaper to reload ammo--also ive devloped a way to make my own 12 gage bandoleers
they hold 45 shells--made them from canvas drop cloth from home depot

·
77 Posts
Wow...I am thinking there is something the ammo guys have against you all farther east.:dunno:
My local gun store has all the ammo I could possibly want, no limits, any calibre.
100rnd boxes of .223 for $35.00, cases and cases of bricks of .22lr $21.00 (yea, its a little high). Sportsmans warehouse has bricks all the time for $17.95. 9mm by the case, can't remember the price.

I reload most of mine when I have the components, .223, 9mm, 25-20WCF, 30-30, 30-06, .45, .44,.38/.357, 12 guage.
Guys, (and gals) it is definitely worth the investment to get started reloading.
Your equipment is a one time purchase, components are way more available than ammo in most areas, its a very addicting hooby in itself. And you can make much better quality ammo than the factory for hunting.

Nothing quite like pulling the trigger on your own stuff!

·
Registered
369 Posts
if you want a real shreader round for self protection i reload 12 gage shells with b b,s --talk about tearing a target up--ive also been making my own bandoliers from canvas and they hold 45 12 gage shells- i made 2 for each member of the house

1 - 20 of 37 Posts