Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Why I look for Kosher on my flours is due to the fact that anything from a human being is considered none kosher except for breastmilk as fed to babies from the breast.... (many Jewish friends when I was younger and I also have Jewish relatives got to learn many interesting stuff.)
Unless the Rabbi in charge of watching and making sure that the standards are being kept is slacking, there should be no "human derived" ingredients.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Why I look for Kosher on my flours is due to the fact that anything from a human being is considered none kosher except for breastmilk as fed to babies from the breast.... (many Jewish friends when I was younger and I also have Jewish relatives got to learn many interesting stuff.)
Unless the Rabbi in charge of watching and making sure that the standards are being kept is slacking, there should be no "human derived" ingredients.
Kosher is good but a pack of hot dogs cost $6 for Hebrew brand.
I'll check on WalMart and see if they have the flour.

:flower:

A blender can be used to grind wheat in small amounts. I'm not sure about a coffee grinder. Wheat berries/kernals are pretty hard. We've stone-ground corn and wheat, and the wheat is hard work, whereas the corn is pretty easy. I'm not sure where coffee beans fit in there, as far as how hard a bean they are. Most 'eating' beans aren't very hard to grind, so coffee grinders might not be up to the load of how hard-shelled wheat berries are, if coffee beans are similar to 'eating' beans.

Most flour nowdays has so many things added to it. I'm still trying to figure out why the white flour I was buying has "Malted barley flour" in it. It's about the 3rd ingredient on the list. Same thing with the L-cystine and other things, WHY? I started making home-made bread in an effort to help my husband with his allergies because they add so many things to store-bought bread. Now I find out some of that stuff is in the flour itself! So we're back to grinding our own wheat.

I'm floored at how much some of you have to pay for wheat berries. Though I guess I'd rather pay more for healthy food than to have to pay out later for medical bills and medicine. :dunno:

Ten years ago I came home to find two room mates pushing my biskits on the floor like hockey pucks. THAT did it...NO MO biskits.
Then I found Bisquick! I store it. Love it. You can add beer and cheese and Red Lobsters will sue you..lol. Makes waffles pancakes..etc and all I have to use is my powdered milk, or just water.
I will buy grain and grind it I know I will, but gawd I love my Bisquick..lol

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.