Prepared Society Forum banner

All Purpose Flour VS Self Rising

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Meerkat 
#1 ·
We have switched to all purpose flour to store and use.I made biscuits with it 'White Lily'and they have a different taste.Not a bad taste but just a little after taste not in self rising.
i don't plan on ever buying chinese corpse hair bread again so do any of you know why the taste is different.I use Clabber Girl baking powder and small amount of salt,last batch i put in a little baking soda to see if that helped,not!
Anyone here use all purpose for biscuits?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
All the time-I don't buy self rising stuff.. I prefer to add my own leavening agents. I use only Aluminum free baking powder.
All purpose
Bread flour
pastry flour
all three are what I keep in stock and I have wheat berries that I grind when I want whole wheat.. even tho I do sometimes keep a bit of whole wheat on hand.
Which one does'nt have the aluminum? Which all purpose flour do you use?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I get them right next to the big bags of flour in the baking isle. They're 25 lb kraft-colored bags (Wheat Montana brand), on the bottom shelf. We didn't used to have them, but we do now. Hopefully if you don't have them now, you will in the future... (you might be able to ask a manager to order them, citing the fact that other WalMarts carry bags).

It's not as good a price as others on this forum get from various places, but they're economical for me ($12.50-13.50/lb), and a brand I'm comfortable with.
Thanks ,I'll look again next time I shop there.:flower:

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Human hair in most breads,rolls and pizza doughs aka,L-CYSTEINE!

Now to check flour for this.Most jews and musims won't eat anything that comes from a human body,gee someting me and the muslims can agree on.:beercheer:

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Why I look for Kosher on my flours is due to the fact that anything from a human being is considered none kosher except for breastmilk as fed to babies from the breast.... (many Jewish friends when I was younger and I also have Jewish relatives got to learn many interesting stuff.)
Unless the Rabbi in charge of watching and making sure that the standards are being kept is slacking, there should be no "human derived" ingredients.
Kosher is good but a pack of hot dogs cost $6 for Hebrew brand.
I'll check on WalMart and see if they have the flour.

:flower:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.