Alaskan Watchmen

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by kogneto, Jul 5, 2010.

1. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

Hey for all you Alaskan's I found a posting on craigslist for a local group interested in prepping.

reading over their CoC they seem pretty safe/legit, just applied for membership and waiting to hear back

any other watchmen here?

2. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

There is a vast difference between prepping and militias. I can't really speak for you, but if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time.

On average, militias do not prep. They play weekend soldier and do a lot of target shooting while wearing way too much gear. It seems to pretty much end there. They stockpile guns, stockpile ammo, keep a few cases of MRE's around and they think they are set.

Judging by their website, it would seem that this is the case for this particular organization. But I don't know much about them, so I will reserve judgement.

9 times out of 10, the majority of a militia's members have little to no military experience. Sure, they read training manuals and maybe even exercise regularly. But the experience isn't there. I am not sure you would want to be taking commands from somebody who has never seen combat. Because chances are they won't keep their head about them. Just a suggestion, anyway. I don't know what type of members this organization has.

3. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

yeah, I kind of get that vibe too, but I think I'll go to a meeting with a buddy, scope it out and see what they're all about

don't want to judge a militia by their lack of technical savvy

4. ALASKAWATCHMEN

ALASKAWATCHMEN New Member

5. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Very interesting site, I will do more reading when I get home. I wish we something like this in CO, though the other day I was headed home on the MC from work and saw a jeep with the word militia on the top of the front window, so it seems they exist.

6. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Oh, i'm sure that they do exist. Though it seems as though putting a sticker on one's Jeep is rather poor OpSec...

7. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Yep, it did seem a bit odd. Now, I need to figure out how to find the ones here.

8. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Well now we know what ol' ding dong Palin is up to. :rolleyes: