Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
The lack of power from a storm ... been there and done that ...

Always a good drill ... :)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
If only I could convince DW that it really would be an enlightening experience. :rolleyes:

Congrats on a successful trial run. :2thumb:

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
The storm is raging as I type, but I have 4 golf cart batteries ( not yet hook to my solar but charged ) and 4 optima batteries in my truck/camper with solar if the power goes out and stays out for awhile.
Think outside the box. We hit the walmart for the after christmas sales and I snatched up a couple strings of led lights for $3-$5 each. Some are 110v some are some are battery powered. You're not going to be able to read, but they'll light up a room for a long time.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Your experiment sounds like it worked out well, we live in a colder climate and heat with wood exclusively. so the house is cool every morning , we also get a few 12 + hour power outages. We often cook on our wood heater and make coffe in a perk if we have time. This fall the power was down for about 18 hours, several of the people my wife works with had no food at home that they didn't need to cook, and most only had cordless phones which need grid power for the base unit to work (unless modified) The lack of grid power opens peoples eyes but some times not for long.:flower:

While we are in this thought steam , we found some LED rechargeable night/emergency lights, they hold the nightlite charge for 2 or more days , we haven't used them that much but they could sure come in handy.

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
That's a good idea...

I lived off-grid for many years when I first built my homestead in '75, and when the infamous northeast ice storm hit in 1998, many communities around here were without power for as much as 8 weeks!

We have a stationary 7.5 kw diesel generator in our greenhouse now that runs on used McD's fry oil, and used it for the 14 days we were without grid power to run the freezer and fridge (ironically it was cold enough to put everything outside).

We only ran the diesel for 4 hours a day, concentrating all 110/220v activities into that timeframe, as well as charging up extra deep-cycle batteries we had on hand. Washer / dryer, kitchen equipment, hot water, etc. -all activities were done in the 4 hour "power" period. The rest of the time we used candles and alladin oil lamps, handcrank appliances etc.... I was used to "no power" as I lived with the Amish for several years to learn horse farming methods. I speak German, and we could understand each other as it is very close to the Pensylvania Dutch that the Amish speak.

I wired the house for both 110 VAC as well as 12 VDC back when I built it, as we had a 12v wind generator back then, and used 12 volt TV's, radios, lights, and a lot of things you find for a camper. We used a propane refrigerator then instead of an electric one.

We use only solar and wood for heat in this house... no thermostats to adjust! http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f43/maine-iac-4985/

- Basey

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good idea...

I lived off-grid for many years when I first built my homestead in '75, and when the infamous northeast ice storm hit in 1998, many communities around here were without power for as much as 8 weeks!

We have a stationary 7.5 kw diesel generator in our greenhouse now that runs on used McD's fry oil, and used it for the 14 days we were without grid power to run the freezer and fridge (ironically it was cold enough to put everything outside).

We only ran the diesel for 4 hours a day, concentrating all 110/220v activities into that timeframe, as well as charging up extra deep-cycle batteries we had on hand. Washer / dryer, kitchen equipment, hot water, etc. -all activities were done in the 4 hour "power" period. The rest of the time we used candles and alladin oil lamps, handcrank appliances etc.... I was used to "no power" as I lived with the Amish for several years to learn horse farming methods. I speak German, and we could understand each other as it is very close to the Pensylvania Dutch that the Amish speak.

I wired the house for both 110 VAC as well as 12 VDC back when I built it, as we had a 12v wind generator back then, and used 12 volt TV's, radios, lights, and a lot of things you find for a camper. We used a propane refrigerator then instead of an electric one.

We use only solar and wood for heat in this house... no thermostats to adjust! http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f43/maine-iac-4985/

- Basey
Basey, Looking forward to your input in this forum. Been checking out some of your other words of wisdom. WELCOME

·
Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
Thanks fellow farmer!

Heh... no sooner did I post the above note, and the power went out!

I can't even see 100 feet outside! Maine's governor called a state of emergency... we've got about 14 inches so far and possible a foot or more to go till tonite.

I walked out into the greenhouse (sunspace in front of the living space) and cranked up the diesel generator quickly to test it in case of a prolonged outage. The Jeep is ready for emergencies, and the "ambulance" is chained-up also.

The tractor with the big snowblower is ready to roll, but with 40 mph gusts, the snow will just drift back into the 800 ft driveway to the road anyway... so kick back and relax till tomorrow morning, man.

The fire in the old Papa Bear stove is crackling nice and warm, and the candles and oil lamps make things cheery.

Who needs electricity anyway! :)

- Basey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts