Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys. I wrote a quick blog entry/article on the affects of hurricanes on areas much further inland and the importance for those areas to prep for such occurrences.

Let me know what you think and feel free to share any experiences you might have.

Scott

Hurricane Preps in Illinois?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I was in pub ed a loooong time and somedays it just works out that way. You point out that the affects of hurricanes can touch people who pretty much think they are safe from them. (They don't want to know that :sssh:) But it did plant a seed and they will look at hurricanes in a different way ... even if they didn't post about it. ;)

Great work! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys. I wrote a quick blog entry/article on the affects of hurricanes on areas much further inland and the importance for those areas to prep for such occurrences.

Let me know what you think and feel free to share any experiences you might have.

Scott

Hurricane Preps in Illinois?
A buddy of mine is dating a meteorologist and apparently people are thinking the hurricane season this year is going to get bad. Anyone else hear this?

·
803 Posts
A buddy of mine is dating a meteorologist and apparently people are thinking the hurricane season this year is going to get bad. Anyone else hear this?
Yep. Not looking good. But we shall see.

Jimmy

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Yes, have family in Tampa area and Panhandle of Florida. Folks are genuinely concerned about this year.

We are inland (Tennessee) and have already looked at impacts if a major storm rolled in from the Gulf. The Blizzard of 93 originated from the gulf and reeked havok on this area. Granted this was a winter storm, but it is still the same type of scenario.

Thanks for sharing

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
with record rainfall this month and last month, my friend and I stand to make some $$$ on th French (durum wheat) futures exchange...

:scratch it's a mystery :rolleyes: why the gooberment & MSM are focusing on big screen Tvs and other luxury items as opposed to food & fuel to gauge how the economy is doing... :dunno: :sssh: :ignore:

pay no attention to me, I'm just a dumb hick kid

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
TXG - Excellent article! The map and data bring it home to those who will only listen. With the flooding already occuring in some of these states, imagine another Hurricane Ike on top of it all! Even without the high winds, the devastation would be severe.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
TheXGrasshopper: I thought your article was spot on. I just read it this morning and I like it. I posted at length in another thread about the trouble I had in 2005 (I think) from a hurricane, and I live near Pittsburgh PA. In short-it rained so hard our job site was almost flooded, my hour long commute took 3 hours due to flooded roads and the resultant traffic, and we (the volunteer fire company I run with) cut fallen trees, pumped basement, and cleared roads non stop from mid afternoon to 2AM. After that, I became convinced that even as far inland as we are, we aren't immune to hurricanes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TXG - Excellent article! The map and data bring it home to those who will only listen. With the flooding already occuring in some of these states, imagine another Hurricane Ike on top of it all! Even without the high winds, the devastation would be severe.
Thanks for the kind words :) I hope it can bring that fact to alot of people's attention. If you'd pass it on or post it to your facebook that'd be awesome! Hitting the Digg button and StumbleUpon button at the site will help too :)

I'm glad the article started some dialogue here. :)

I'm always open to suggestions for articles/videos for the site. So, if you have any requests let me know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TheXGrasshopper: I thought your article was spot on. I just read it this morning and I like it. I posted at length in another thread about the trouble I had in 2005 (I think) from a hurricane, and I live near Pittsburgh PA. In short-it rained so hard our job site was almost flooded, my hour long commute took 3 hours due to flooded roads and the resultant traffic, and we (the volunteer fire company I run with) cut fallen trees, pumped basement, and cleared roads non stop from mid afternoon to 2AM. After that, I became convinced that even as far inland as we are, we aren't immune to hurricanes.
Great example Jason! I'm on the coast...so if it hits, we'll get the brunt of it...but doing the research I did made me realize how much it could affect you guys and gals inland.

I want as many people prepared and aware as possible. Even if it helps just one person survive or even just weather the storm better it's worth it to me :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts