Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Citizen
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

A good friend of mine (and a fellow prepper) asked me where he could find a really complete first aid kit. He wants one with sutures, needles, antibiotics etc. All the stuff you would need if you were really on your own and had to DIY it.

Do any of you know of such a kit?

Thanks,

Bill

·
71 Posts
Anything that is pre-made will cost you an arm and a leg. I suggest he put one together from scratch, maybe in a large toolbox or backpack. There are plenty of sources out there where you can pick up supplies that will meet your personal needs and save you a lot of money in the long run. If he has the time and inclination it is worth a try. There many medical supply companies out there. Here are a couple companies that sell relatively cheap medical supplies;

Medwork Instruments - discount medical instruments - reflex percussors

http://www.chinookmed.com/

If your looking for antibiotics you can either ask your personal physician and hope they understand your need for such preparations or look into veterinary antibiotics. I have my parents buy mine when they pick up their medications in Mexico. There is some debate regarding the effectiveness of vet antibiotics, but I have read more than one post from a supposed doctor that claims the medications are marked exactly the same as the drugs labeled for human use.

Tablet & Capsule Antibiotics

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Antibiotics-Non-Prescription.php

I also found this site to be very helpful.

Armageddon Medicine - How to be your own doctor in 2012 and beyond

I hope this helps.

Carl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unless you have a trained physician or midlevel using them sutures are probably a bad idea in most cases.

If it can't be closed with butterfly strips it's probably something that has to be thoroughly cleaned and debrided to prevent infection, etc. Deep tissue suturing may be required - do you know what you are looking at? Do you have enough of the right type of suture, attached to the right needle? Do you know how to tie suture knots so that they don't loosen? If you tie them to tight the skin underneath may die. And so on. Even a staple gun requires practice.

just my two cents

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
my dh has studied some civil war medicine. some interesting things came out. The south used boiled horse hair (the tail) for sutures while the south used silk. guess who had the better outcome?

the south. the north did boil the silk thread. boiling will sterilize. many other interesting we have found out, even how to make chloroform. we are doing additional studies on this old medicine ways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some scary things happen when you start thinking about doing upper level medical stuff. I am a nurse, and I am not prepping most of the higher level things. I am thinking things will eventually go low tech anyways. Think about how much success Florence Nightingale had. Yeah it was the middle 1800's, but if the S hits the F then that'll be the average level of tech for most folks. Keeping things clean (which was one of her most important changes to health care) will be huge.

The fact that no one wants to admit is that if all access to even moderate care is removed, lots of folks will die of stupid crap. Stuff that right now we hammer with meds and goes away. The strong will survive and, well, the weak won't.

So, for a go-it-alone med kit, there isn't such thing as you are talking that I have ever seen, if only for legal reasons. Buy the nicest EMT kit you can find and then stock 5 times what you think you need of the included bandages, tape and triple-antibiotic ointment (provided there are no allergies). I say EMT kit vs Paramedic kit mainly because there is a lot that Medics are allowed to do that EMTs cannot, and I think that with most folks level of training the EMT kit won't equip you INTO trouble if you catch my intention.

Just my .02
jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some scary things happen when you start thinking about doing upper level medical stuff. I am a nurse, and I am not prepping most of the higher level things. I am thinking things will eventually go low tech anyways. Think about how much success Florence Nightingale had. Yeah it was the middle 1800's, but if the S hits the F then that'll be the average level of tech for most folks. Keeping things clean (which was one of her most important changes to health care) will be huge.

The fact that no one wants to admit is that if all access to even moderate care is removed, lots of folks will die of stupid crap. Stuff that right now we hammer with meds and goes away. The strong will survive and, well, the weak won't.

So, for a go-it-alone med kit, there isn't such thing as you are talking that I have ever seen, if only for legal reasons. Buy the nicest EMT kit you can find and then stock 5 times what you think you need of the included bandages, tape and triple-antibiotic ointment (provided there are no allergies). I say EMT kit vs Paramedic kit mainly because there is a lot that Medics are allowed to do that EMTs cannot, and I think that with most folks level of training the EMT kit won't equip you INTO trouble if you catch my intention.

Just my .02
jim
I totally agree. nice post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I went to a Big Gun Show that comes into our area @ 3 months. There is always a table that has Sutures, scalpels and other items. I bought 10 scalpels (throw away) for 10.00 and bought some sutures for DIY jobs. The Lidocaine and Lidocaine w/ ephiphrine I got through other means. Like a person who posted, I bought at Wal-mart some back packs and filled them with everything I need. I have stocked up on some of the antibotics for future. You can go to Gall's and they sell med supplies too. They sell to Police and F.R.
But I do suggest you take some training. I have done F. R. for 14 yrs. I am just a rookie still. Believe it or not, a AED would be helpful. They are coming down in price. They are the most helpful thing that anyone can do. The cost are still about 1000 to 1500.00. They are not cheap, but not everyone needs one. The batteries last about 5 years. The pads are not reuseable, so get an extra set if possible.
Good Luck.

·
Citizen
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the insights and information!

Yeah, I tend to agree that you might do "more harm than good" when you start doing your own "doctorin'" but if the "end as we know it" were to happen, that may be your only recourse.

Besides that... my daughter is an RN and we've got some other seasoned healthcare pros in our midst as well.

I'm pretty sure with proper cleaning and a sewing kit and such, we could take care of a lot of injuries on our own. As a last resort of course.

God Bless You All!

Bill :2thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
Believe it or not, a AED would be helpful..
Good Luck.
People who survive because of an AED need a hospital. Unless they died from choking or drowning or an airway issue that has resolved they may die again soon without serious medical attention. I'm not sure this one should go on anyone's must have list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Advanced Medical Kit for preppers

A new company based in Alaska has just hit the market with a very advanced medical kit available to the public. This might be exactly what you are looking for.

Their kit comes with an advanced trauma package including hemmorhage control, wound closure supplies, a dental kit, and numerous prescription medications (including antibiotics) for infections, GI problems, cold and flu, etc. This is the best medical kit I've ever seen and would be excellent for a family when access to high-quality health care is not possible. Their website offers many additional add-on items such as IV supplies, suture kits, catheter sets, etc. The kit comes with a one-year membership in their telemedicine program, which gives members unlimited phone consults with a board-certified US-based emergency physician for urgent medical issues at no additional charge. I've never found anything else like it on the market. I have two of their kits and am very pleased. Visit their website at Medcallassist.com

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can find a sealed surgical/medical kit on line. These are made for people going to third world countries that reuse supplies. The have syringes sutures scalpel ect.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You can find a sealed surgical/medical kit on line. These are made for people going to third world countries that reuse supplies. The have syringes sutures scalpel ect.
Yeah these are pretty cool sets. Along with the above items they also contain the needle and such for an I.V. I bought two at my local "survival store" for $20 each. I plan on adding a couple more soon.

·
1,084 Posts
In addition to gathering supplies, I think it's important to try to get as much training as possible. Some local community colleges offer EMT courses for a fairly reasonable price. I'm not under any illusions that I can self educate to the level of MD, but I think if you're committed to being as prepared as you possibly can be, you could prove to be a very effective 'doctor' for your family. When TSHTF prevention will be key to survival. Prevent as many injuries as you possibly can with safety equipment and proactive health measures. If you are in a group, you should have one person in charge of safety measures/planning.

·
As smart as
555 Posts
In addition to gathering supplies, I think it's important to try to get as much training as possible. Some local community colleges offer EMT courses for a fairly reasonable price. I'm not under any illusions that I can self educate to the level of MD, but I think if you're committed to being as prepared as you possibly can be, you could prove to be a very effective 'doctor' for your family. When TSHTF prevention will be key to survival. Prevent as many injuries as you possibly can with safety equipment and proactive health measures. If you are in a group, you should have one person in charge of safety measures/planning.
If I may piggyback on your post - having just one person trained in first aid/health care is unwise planning, at best.

The classes taught at local Community Colleges have recently changed or will change due to recent changes in how EMTs are certified and licensed at a National level.

IF you are looking for a class that fits your needs, a call to the State licensing agency will provide a list of institutions that provide advanced training.

Everyone should have basic first aid training (ARC) and consider periodic re-training/re-certification on that training. Everyone should carry a Individual FAk and understand how to provide basic aid. As others have noted, if an issue is handled early, complications may be prevented.

As others have said, training is the first thing that should go into any first aid kit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am also worried about my aid bag. My bag (and everything in it) were older items pieced together through classes in the service. So, my kit is based entirely around trauma, and gunshot type injuries. I have nothing for any real infection/ illness, and have no idea how to get antibiotics. I haven't thought to much about how to obtain the necessary drugs, because I don't have any real idea of the shelf life of antibiotics. Anyone more knowledgeable have ideas? I am aware of some edible/medicinal plants, but again if TSHTF I would like something there when I need it.

·
As smart as
555 Posts
A plant guide

I am also worried about my aid bag. My bag (and everything in it) were older items pieced together through classes in the service. So, my kit is based entirely around trauma, and gunshot type injuries. I have nothing for any real infection/ illness, and have no idea how to get antibiotics. I haven't thought to much about how to obtain the necessary drugs, because I don't have any real idea of the shelf life of antibiotics. Anyone more knowledgeable have ideas? I am aware of some edible/medicinal plants, but again if TSHTF I would like something there when I need it.
The site - Of the Field (https://ofthefield.com/resources/) offers several well done plant guides. Might be worth your time to check it out and see what they have.

For you aid kit, the Hesperian Foundation (http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/) has books on line in PDF format that you may find useful - Where There is No Doctor is one of the better known publications.

There is no charge for the downloads, they accept donations and paper versions are for sale as well.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I was wandering around on Amazon and found this kit: Fully Stocked First Aid EMT First Responder Trauma Medic Bag

Items included in this kit:
(1) Fluorescent Orange Bag with padded inner divider, multiple pockets, and shoulder strap
(1) Blood Pressure Cuff (Regular Adult Size)
(1) Stethoscope
(20) Pairs of Powder Free Kimberly Clark Sterling Nitrile Gloves, Large
(1) First Aid Guide Book
(1) Adult Cervical Collar
(1) Pen Light
(1) Pair Trauma Shears
(2) Stainless Steel Hemostats
(1) Pair of Tweezers
(1) #3 Scalpel Handle
(2) Scalpel Blades
(2) Suture Sets
(6) Safety Pins
(5) Tongue Depressors
(1) CPR Mask
(1) Tourniquet
(1) SAM/Universal Padded Aluminum Splint
(2) Emergency Foil Blankets, 52" x 84"
(2) Adult Oral Airways
(5) Ammonia Inhalants
(1) Tube Instant Glucose
(1) Bottle Eye Wash Solution
(1) Bar Hand Soap
(1) Bottle Hand Sanitizer Gel
(4) Instant Ice Packs
(215) 2"x2" Sterile Sponges (15 are prepackaged in your bag, 200 extra are included for re-stocking)
(60) 4"x4" Sterile Sponges (8 are prepackaged in your bag, 52 extra are included for re-stocking)
(6) Abdominal Pads, 5"x9"
(1) Multi-Trauma Dressing, 12"x30"
(2) Bleed Stop Bandages
(1) Triangular Bandage, 40"x40"x56"
(5) Eye Pads
(2) Rolls Adhesive Tape
(1) Roll 6" Adhesive Tape
(15) Knuckle Bandages
(15) Bandage Strips, 2"x3"
(32) Bandage Strips, 1"x3"
(5) Butterfly Strips
(45) Antiseptic BZK Wipes
(6) After Bite/Sting Wipes
(5) Burn Relief Gel Packages
(10) Triple Antibiotic Packages
(20) Pain Relievers

I am pretty sure you can only get antibiotics with a prescription. You might be able to find the needles you want at TSC. I would also throw in some regular feminine pads for soaking up blood or to put on a larger wound.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Being in the medical field myself I would just like to add look for, quick clot. Its a bandage that has a powder in it that clots the blood/open wound. Their are other ones it harder ti get for civilians but our military uses them. The powder reacts to the blood and heats up to a really high temp, it pretty much carderizes( I know I did not spell this right) the wound. They come in different sizes. Just wanted to throw this out their.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.