Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious how those on medications add extra to their preps.

Background: I currently take 175 mcg of Synthroid daily. If I miss a dose/day I can not double up to make up the missed dose like with other medications. I found that when I miss a dose if I put it aside in a separate bottle I can add that to my preps. But this is slow at best. I have been on my current dose for about a year and have only saved 15 pills.

I can not ask the doctor for an extra month of pills for the simple fact my dosage can change at anytime. I have to get blood tests done every three months to check if I am on the correct dose.

I have 60 or so pills of this dose but the generic brand of my medication. A few months back I showed signs of allergic reaction to this brand so I was told to stop taking it. I was thinking of rotating in one of these pills a week in place of the correct brand. The point being to add the replaced pills to my stores.

I have seen website that sell my medication without prescription but they don't offer verified/secure checkout so I am reluctant to try them.

I also wanted opinions on vacuum sealing medications in bags for storage- weather in the freezer or my BOB.

Any thoughts?

·
1,920 Posts
I myself am not on any medications, so this may not be useful to you. I just want to throw it out there.. So, Im very worried about developing diabetes. My dad is diabetic. Ive thought about it a lot, and heres what Ive come up with...

First, explore any and all diet and exercise changes that might help. I already do this to a certain extent, I very rarely eat processed sugar, I dont put it in my coffee, and I resist those sweet tooth cravings as much as i can. When I do eat sweets, I really try and limit it. Ok, so having said all that, if I were to become insulin dependant (which applies to any drug one might be medically dependant on for survival), I would make a trip to mexico and stock up ASAP. Most meds like this are very difficult to get extras of. Experimenting with dosage and putting away some pills has its risks, as does heading south of the border for a drug run. I would also try to find someone in another country that would be willing to ship to a US address. Thats a loose outline of what i would do... your mileage may vary...

·
Time Traveler
3,916 Posts
Good point FatTire. If your doctor will write the prescription Canada has good prices on meds. My folks save four thousand a year by using a Canadian pharmacy. Some States have laws forbidding this.

My insurance will refill my prescription before the last is used. By ordering on the first available day I have acquired a years worth of most of my prescriptions. If my dosage is changed I adapt accordingly. Pill splitters are inexpensive and most pills can be halved or even quartered. Often they will keep the same pill and increase or decrease the number. If they double the dosage I take two of the old prescription.

Anything that is taken off my plan is set aside incase it is ever put back on my plan or saved for someone else. I have also been given drugs that were no longer on someones plan but were on mine. The military did some testing shortly after expiration dates were instituted and found that most were still good more than a decade after their expiration dates. As with most things I use first in first out.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I've had issues in the past and had many prescriptions for pain pills. I did not use them all at the time. Next bout they would prescribe me another batch (year or two later). Saved some of them, rinse and repeat. I vacuum sealed them in small bags, cut the bags to size and seal individually in 24 hour doses. Back into the ORIGINAL prescription bottle and into the freezer. IMPORTANT POINT! If you have prescription pills without them being in a bottle with your name on them, they are illegal drugs!!!

I had bouts of gout years ago and have a good supply of those pills packaged the same way, only in 7 day doses. I know this has been said many times here before but diet will take care of a huge amount of medical issues. BUT! Just in case I do have a supply available. Also look into medicinal herbs for your issues. They will not take the place of, or be as strong as prescription but are an alternative. I use skullcap and valerian for pain issues. If I have an acute attack of gout they will NOT make the pain go away like opioids but make it bearable enough so I do not want to grab an axe and chop the toe off.

As for prescription drugs for other issues, talk to your doctor. If you are regularly taking drugs for specific issues I bet he would prescribe a month or two ahead for you to have on hand. If your dose changes regularly pick an average dose and stock up on them, they will be better than nothing. If your doctor will not prescribe extras for you to have in case of an emergency, I would be shopping for another more caring doctor!!

·
I'm done - gone
1,585 Posts
Diet is not going to "fix" a thyroid that is not working. period.

Now, what I do is one week before I need a refill ( 7 days worth of pills) I take the script in and get it refilled. The I store the extra pills ( and rotate them thru my pills). I've been doing this for years and have a good stash of them so far. Missing one thyroid pill won't hurt ya and I've made peace with the fact that I can and will go 4 days before taking one (IF I HAVE TO).
Now some have talked about dessicated pig thyroid, but you have to experiment with the dosage to where it's what you need.
I imagine you can buy some on the net at online pharmacies without a script for the doctor's. I haven't gone that route yet.

Again I don't know where people find these doctors that just write scripts for the asking and what ever little whim comes across their desk. I can never find them.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
I am not on any prescriptions but I have loved ones that are, including Synthroid. One very useful thing imo is a gram scale, along with the pill splitter mentioned already. With pills that are divisible (synthroid and many/most others) any required dose can be made from another. With problems like thyroid and diabetes or even blood thinners where the dosages are variable there is a lot that can be done. Chart your dosage over time, understand the progression of your problem and how it may change, make an effort to identify and quantify your symptoms and understand how that effects your dosage. Some people with diabetes for instance become incredibly accurate at judging their levels, using a test only to verify. Their family can also learn to help gauge their levels, some are quite adept.

These issues are quite a concern for me :(, despite the fact I don't use any myself.

·
1,920 Posts
Diet and exercise cannot fix all things. Sorry if i came across as saying that, was not my intent. Cancer wont be cured eating carrots and running ten miles, thyroids wont be replaced by push ups and beet juice.

On the other hand, legal and illegal aint the same as right and wrong, and a great deal of needless suffering is endured by good people following the law too closely.. IMHO of course...

·
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diet is not going to "fix" a thyroid that is not working. period.

Now, what I do is one week before I need a refill ( 7 days worth of pills) I take the script in and get it refilled. The I store the extra pills ( and rotate them thru my pills). I've been doing this for years and have a good stash of them so far. Missing one thyroid pill won't hurt ya and I've made peace with the fact that I can and will go 4 days before taking one (IF I HAVE TO).
Now some have talked about dessicated pig thyroid, but you have to experiment with the dosage to where it's what you need.
I imagine you can buy some on the net at online pharmacies without a script for the doctor's. I haven't gone that route yet.

Again I don't know where people find these doctors that just write scripts for the asking and what ever little whim comes across their desk. I can never find them.

Good Luck
What dose do you take?

I also refill before I "need" to and separate my pills into 4 bottles for the month. Each bottle has 7 pills- a weeks worth. The 2 extra in the refill are added to my stash.

I have a few pills left over from other dosages but they are Levothyroxine and the pills are near impossible to split. Though having a pill splitter would be a good idea.

My doctor told me that taking ketone tests can help measure T3 levels if a baseline is established. I know the test strips are cheap online but I wan tto build up a stash of pills before trying the tests. There are also saliva tests that can be done at home for T3 levels but I haven't found those yet.

·
1,920 Posts
Just to clarify on pill splitting, if the pill has a line downd the middle, it can be safely cut in half, if it has a cross it can be safely quartered., if it doesnt have those, you are taking a risk. Halve a pill with no line, and one half could be a full dose, the other couls be nothing. Not saying dont do it, just be aware of the risks.

·
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify on pill splitting, if the pill has a line downd the middle, it can be safely cut in half, if it has a cross it can be safely quartered., if it doesnt have those, you are taking a risk. Halve a pill with no line, and one half could be a full dose, the other couls be nothing. Not saying dont do it, just be aware of the risks.
That's why I said the Levo are impossible to split.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Always be aware of the risks with something like this.

The gram scale will help determine if they are split evenly, but can also be used for more creative dosages. Some pills that are too hard to split can be crushed, this is done at times now, mainly for people with extreme difficulty swallowing, you can buy pill "crushers". One possible route is to then have some empty capsules that you can fill with the appropriate dosage. These can be bought by the thousand for a few dollars and there are inexpensive tools to help with filling as well, again dosages can be verified with a scale.

Pills that have coatings or another means of extended release can behave differently, so don't just take somebodies word for it, do the research and find what you are comfortable with. Either way having the tools around for an emergency probably wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Your endocrinologist is shooting at a moving target if they prescribe dosages and the you choose when to take it or you are purposefully lowering your dose. I would rather you be honest with me and I would write you a backup script of your current dose. You are going to have years of thyroid tests that don't correlate to dosages in your records. Its a good thing if your aware of what really going on because your doctor likely has thoughts in their head about your treatment that differs and they are basing unsaid decisions off of this variance of what they prescribe and how your body responds.

Have your tried having just a plain chit chat. Legally it's not an issue as long as you aren't trying to get insurance to cover it twice. With that being said, it is a legal issue with controlled substances such as pain medication.

·
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your endocrinologist is shooting at a moving target if they prescribe dosages and the you choose when to take it or you are purposefully lowering your dose. I would rather you be honest with me and I would write you a backup script of your current dose. You are going to have years of thyroid tests that don't correlate to dosages in your records. Its a good thing if your aware of what really going on because your doctor likely has thoughts in their head about your treatment that differs and they are basing unsaid decisions off of this variance of what they prescribe and how your body responds.

Have your tried having just a plain chit chat. Legally it's not an issue as long as you aren't trying to get insurance to cover it twice. With that being said, it is a legal issue with controlled substances such as pain medication.
I do not lower my dose or purposefully miss doses. I have missed a few over the years but never with the intent to hoard my pills. When I had my blood test that lead to the current dose of 175mcg my doctor asked me point blank if I had missed any pills around the time of the test. I was honest and told her no. The reason she was concerned was I had been on 150mcg before, during and a year after I was pregnant.

Now if I miss 2+ doses I do call her office. They will push back my blood test a month and give me one more refill. I haven't missed 2 in a row since I gave birth to Roo 2 years ago.

This is the main reason I separate my pills into 4- 7 day dosage bottles. I don't want to miss my meds. Also why I am asking how others add meds to their preps.

But thank you for your concern.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Just to be clear, I wasn't recommending splitting or crushing in order to save doses, though I understand that this is done. There are legitimate reasons for pill splitting today as well, but I was referring more specifically to using up doses that don't match your current one (in an emergency).

I also think that any good doctor should be willing to help you have a "reasonable" amount on hand and that has been the experience of those I know who have asked, for the most part. I have driven in a blizzard to get pills for a senior who literally would run out the same time they got their new ones:(

·
Registered
768 Posts
Grimm said:
I do not lower my dose or purposefully miss doses. I have missed a few over the years but never with the intent to hoard my pills. When I had my blood test that lead to the current dose of 175mcg my doctor asked me point blank if I had missed any pills around the time of the test. I was honest and told her no. The reason she was concerned was I had been on 150mcg before, during and a year after I was pregnant. Now if I miss 2+ doses I do call her office. They will push back my blood test a month and give me one more refill. I haven't missed 2 in a row since I gave birth to Roo 2 years ago. This is the main reason I separate my pills into 4- 7 day dosage bottles. I don't want to miss my meds. Also why I am asking how others add meds to their preps. But thank you for your concern.
I using your example and generalizing with all the talk of pill splicing and whatnot. From a providers point of view, I either have a patient that is compliant and trusting with care or one that is off saying one thing and doing another. (Not you) I would rather save you and I both the head ache and give you the ability to put away an extra 60 or 90 day supply of a chronic med in case of an emergency. It might be a lot to ask for more than a three month supply and explain you think society is ending. But if your medication is a slep med you can easily ask for the 3 month supply per year citing that the med is expired one year from dispense date( although it is likely good for much longer) That's a lot easier to get 90 in a year plus your 15.

I gotcha Cowboy. I didn't think you were passing any ill advice. You are pretty level headed, reasonable and well thought out.

·
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to be clear, I wasn't recommending splitting or crushing in order to save doses, though I understand that this is done. There are legitimate reasons for pill splitting today as well, but I was referring more specifically to using up doses that don't match your current one (in an emergency).

I also think that any good doctor should be willing to help you have a "reasonable" amount on hand and that has been the experience of those I know who have asked, for the most part. I have driven in a blizzard to get pills for a senior who literally would run out the same time they got their new ones:(
My neighbor is also on Synthroid and splits her pills from old dosages to fill her current need.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Grimm

I am a diabetic and also on levothyroxin the generic version of Synthroid. What I did was told my doctor the truth and that I wanted a 90 script for a bug out plan in case of emergencies. I did this right after Joplin got hit with an Ef-5 tornado and they are about an hour from where I live. I told the doctor that I was scared of something like that happening and I wanted a safe supply in case and he gladly obliged. Just tell the truth.

·
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Grimm

I am a diabetic and also on levothyroxin the generic version of Synthroid. What I did was told my doctor the truth and that I wanted a 90 script for a bug out plan in case of emergencies. I did this right after Joplin got hit with an Ef-5 tornado and they are about an hour from where I live. I told the doctor that I was scared of something like that happening and I wanted a safe supply in case and he gladly obliged. Just tell the truth.
Thanks. Now if only we had tornadoes in California... ;)

·
Time Traveler
3,916 Posts
Thanks. Now if only we had tornadoes in California... ;)
You've got trailer courts so you must have tornadoes.

As I recall you live in the mountains so forest fires might be a better excuse for you. There are certainly enough wild fires in CA. You might claim you are prepping against a yeti attack.:dunno:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It doesn't matter what your fear is for your prep if it is real to you they should give you the script but like my doctor told me I had to go to another pharmacy to get it filled.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts