Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to stop taking prilosec altogether. When I don't take it I have constant heartburn.

Anything I can take to help till I get back to normal?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
First you could try to ... Slow down and chew, enjoy your meal. We are always in a hurry and our stomach will rebel.

Yogurt adds beneficial intestinal bacteria.

Mint or Catnip tea ~try drinking a cup before meals.

This is what comes to mind right off the bat. I can check some of my books and see what else I can come up with.

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
Drink water, nothing else. I had the same problem. Ate Zantac like candy and chased it with Tums. Went on a diet and drank nothing but water for a few months. I have not had a problem in a couple of years.
Good luck! I know it's tough

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I give my Mom tsp. baking soda and sasparilla/ginger/marshmallow root steeped as a tea & then a glass of room-temperature water

Drink water, nothing else. I had the same problem. Ate Zantac like candy and chased it with Tums. Went on a diet and drank nothing but water for a few months. I have not had a problem in a couple of years.
Good luck! I know it's tough
I am constantly amazed at what drinking plenty of water can accomplish :2thumb:

First you could try to ... Slow down and chew, enjoy your meal. We are always in a hurry and our stomach will rebel. ...
my Mom says I must be 'part wolf' because of the way I eat :lolsmash:

·
1,734 Posts
I am very well versed on the subject! Especially after having TWO surgeries to correct the issue. First one came "undone" after about 10 years.

Anyway, stay away from senseless carbs, carbonated soda, cake, candy, etc. Try to avoid eating late, at least three hours upright after eating. Make sure you're not carrying around any extra padding. Alcohol can make the condition worse.

The best antacid stopped being marketed sometime after my first surgery. It would immediately kill the burn.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, I can sympathize with you. My insurance quit paying for my Nexium. I went through hell the couple of months trying zantac and pepcid before I figured out that for me it had to be Prilosec. Thank God prilosec worked though because of the insurance issue.

I have heard that apple cider vinegar, couple of tablespoons a day will work. I know some swear by baking soda, but too much will upset your body's natural acid base balance and cause different problems. Like someone said, avoid alcohol. Also avoid caffeine. Eat small frequent meals, and never anything to eat after 5 or 6. Most important in helping me was to lose some weight. I can now skip a prilosec every couple of days and not pay for it.

I would advise you to be careful about getting off of the prilosec and just learning to live with heartburn. This can lead to a condition called Barrett's Esophagus, where the stomach lining(which is continually exposed to acid) starts to migrate up into your throat(esophagus) to protect the tissue from the exposure to acid. This ultimately leads to esophageal cancer if you do not watch it. My brother has to have an invasive test with biopsies every six months because of this.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'm trying to stop taking prilosec altogether. When I don't take it I have constant heartburn.

Anything I can take to help till I get back to normal?
I had acid reflux, not every day, but even every two weeks was extremely painful.
I began taking diatomaceous earth for something I read about ..my AR stopped.
I don't have attacks any more..:congrat:

Taken with a grain of salt, please, it may not help others.

Now, from Natural Healing..
Put 1/2 tsp of shredded fresh Ginger in a cup of boiling water--let the ginger steep for about 10 minutes--strain the tea --cool and drink.
It can't hurt; since I've read ginger helps circulation, lowers blood pressure, and cholesterol, aids digestion.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peppermint tea is helping.

I've managed to quit eating at night and that's helping with the morning issues.

I'm trying to stop the soda, I do good for a couple of days then I get that hankering.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
If you eat alot of chili's and drink coffee, those are two big ones. Chili's trick the stomach into turning on the acid pumps and coffee aggravates it.

Cider vinegar will work very well temporarily but is not a long term remedy.

Horse mint is related to and is a wild alternative to peppermint, is cheaper(free for the picking) and is common in your area. Now is unfortunately not the time of year to harvest it though. I have never used it for stomach acid but it does work well as a digestive aid, like peppermint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not something you may want to hear but I suffered for a couple of years with bad heartburn and ate tums like it was candy. Turned out I was becoming a type 2 diabetic and once this was discovered and I got my blood sugar levels under control the heartburn disappeared. You may want to get that checked. And by the way I was and am in pretty decent shape did not eat a lot of sugar or drink non diet pop and was not overweight or a drinker or alchohol so none of the "normal" dietary/lifestyle triggers for diabeties.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Finding the new normal

Several years ago I was prescribed all sorts of drugs for all sorts of issues. Some, of course, created by the drugs themselves. My heartburn/stomach acid issues were resolved by diet change. I took stock of all I ate and when I ate. One by one I gave up one thing and gave it a week to see what happened. Little by little I found what foods/drinks gave me issues and I do without them now… well… most of the time anyway. I can also have some irritating foods if eaten at the correct time of day. Coffee was a biggie. Seems that first cup in the morning didn't affect me right then but did cause issues later in the day. Giving up coffee was a huge relief booster.

I agree with the not eating for a few hours before bed also. My large meal of the day is not large at all and is mid-day. I eat 5 times a day and that has helped. Something about cramming large amounts of food at once gave me troubles. If I have tomatoes, radishes or anything spicy it has to be at one of the mid-day eatings. If I eat them late afternoon or for the last meal I'm sure to have troubles. For me, some dairy is a good way to finish the day. A small glass of milk, some yogurt or cheese a few hours before bed seems to coat my stomach and lets me recline in peace.

I guess what I'm saying is that it might be several issues, like mine, that were causing antacids to be my constant snack. As with the new aches and pains as we get older, changing the diet is part of finding out what the new norm is.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you eat alot of chili's and drink coffee, those are two big ones. Chili's trick the stomach into turning on the acid pumps and coffee aggravates it.

Horse mint is related to and is a wild alternative to peppermint, is cheaper(free for the picking) and is common in your area. Now is unfortunately not the time of year to harvest it though. I have never used it for stomach acid but it does work well as a digestive aid, like peppermint.
I love chilis but avoid them. Now coffee is another story. I'm drinking way to much a day and I know that. I've cut back but I think I'm still drinking more than most (6-8 shots of espresso daily).

The mint tea is helping and I'm taking a ginger pill which is supposed to help with digestion among other things but all in all I think the night eating getting cut out has helped the most.

It's a hard habit to break.

Not something you may want to hear but I suffered for a couple of years with bad heartburn and ate tums like it was candy. Turned out I was becoming a type 2 diabetic and once this was discovered and I got my blood sugar levels under control the heartburn disappeared. You may want to get that checked. And by the way I was and am in pretty decent shape did not eat a lot of sugar or drink non diet pop and was not overweight or a drinker or alchohol so none of the "normal" dietary/lifestyle triggers for diabeties.
I've been tested several times (at my demand) and they always come back negative. There has never been a single case in my family and hopefully I won't be the first.

My wife's family has it real bad. Something like half.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
A lot of folks around here, do a vinegar tonic. ;) 1 T vinegar in a 6 oz cup of water daily. When I ask my uncle why he did ... he said because his mom told him to. lol

What can you say to that? :p

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
A lot of folks around here, do a vinegar tonic. ;) 1 T vinegar in a 6 oz cup of water daily. When I ask my uncle why he did ... he said because his mom told him to. lol

What can you say to that? :p
Question: Have you or anyone you know of ever had long term relief(more than 5-10 minutes) relief using vinegar? I have tried it when I run out of tums and it works well for that few minutes. Also if my fude tube has been irritated from the acid reflux, the vinegar goes down with a temporary burn as it passes by the irritation.

I would prefer to use the vinegar if I could make it work more than a few moments, I have gone the route from a mild dilution to chugging several ounces with no change in relief.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I always wondered about DE, I feed it to my chickens but never thought of it for myself.

On the vinegar, you have to make sure it is organic with the mother in it. Otherwise you are just drinking a bunch of preservatives and chemicals. Take 2T vinegar, start with 1/4 tsp of baking soda, 2T pure lemon juice, put in bigger glass will fizz a lot, add water to taste. Do this on an empty stomach 2-3 times a day for 5 days and 2 days off, start again. Your ph is all out of whack. Sounds crazy but this will get your ph in balance.

Hope this helps,
the better half

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Question: Have you or anyone you know of ever had long term relief(more than 5-10 minutes) relief using vinegar? I have tried it when I run out of tums and it works well for that few minutes. Also if my fude tube has been irritated from the acid reflux, the vinegar goes down with a temporary burn as it passes by the irritation.

I would prefer to use the vinegar if I could make it work more than a few moments, I have gone the route from a mild dilution to chugging several ounces with no change in relief.
I don't drink it but I use it in a lot of recipes for food to a hair rinse. But the number of people that I know that take it as a tonic, would be more than a few. As a folk medicine it is used for many things from skin care to diabetes and obesity. (for some reason the science world has been a little slow to look at folk medicine ... but they are coming around.)

One thing for sure, always mix it with water or juice... and research, research with more research. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like someone else said.....avoid the caffeine, all soda pop, all coffee and most tea. Keep your meals small and dont fill up at meal time. There is no cure for acid reflux disease. It can only be managed to limit its negative effects.

Unfortunately I have a need for cafeine. Ive tried living without it but I can get by with small amounts each day. I still take the prilosec. At this point I think the prilosec is less harmful than not taking it. Esophogeal cancer is the 5hits.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm pretty sure my blood is caffeine.

I've done most everything else though, no more sodas for a week, no over eating, I'm already on the mend. It's taken quite a bit of self control.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts