Accidental training

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by kyhoti, May 13, 2011.

1. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

We headed up to the mountains for our anniversary, and the power got knocked out in a storm. DW is learning what to w/o t.v. And to do it by lamplight! Great opportunity to justify more lamp oil for my "useless" lamps!

2. TimB

TimB Member

Mother Nature is a great teacher. :D
    Whereabouts did y'all go? My wife and I are headed a little north of Cleveland next Thursday morning for vacation. :)

Tim

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Mother Nature is like that ... lol

When the time comes those "useless" lamps ... come in handy.:2thumb:

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

If I was in seclusion with my S.O. for an anniversary, I would say "I do my BEST work in the DARK, baaaybeee!" :lolsmash:

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:tmi:

Blob ... Family show!!!! lol

6. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

Helen? Unicoi? Met my DH 44 years ago when we were at Truett-McConnell. We have a small place right outside of Helen. Small World.

7. Davo45

Davo45 New here

Helen, GA

I love going to Helen, GA....especially for Oktoberfest! :D

8. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

You have to stop at Smitty's(....Smith's Soda Shop), right outside of Cleveland on the Cleveland Hwy (kinda behind Ingels grocery). Hamburger, slaw dog and fries!!! Good price too.

9. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

We were in Blue Ridge. This gets better. Last night some yahoos started range practice on the mountain, and she asked to make sure I had MY weapons ready :) Then today she asked about solar and the cost of getting a propane tank. Got the chance to tell her about propane appliances and wiring panels into the house etc. When the power went out, I immediately filled up some pots with water; she asked why I was being "retarded". 20 minutes later, when the water stopped working, I got to explain about electric well pumps; she was greatful to have the water! It's coming along

10. TimB

TimB Member

Blue Ridge isn't too far from where we'll be. ;) We're just in the foothills. :D

Actually it's about halfway in between Helen and Cleveland- Mountain Lakes on 75Alt . And I took my wife on her very first camping trip to Vogel State Park almost 31 years ago. :2thumb: We were members at Yonah Mountain Campground from '89 to '07, then joined Mountain Lakes.
    Smitty's looks closed, is it still open? A couple of our favorite places to eat are Deer Lodge outside Hiawassee and N. Georgia BBQ in Helen. :beercheer:

Tim

11. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

12. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

"Accidental" prepping experience is always the best, and stays in one's mind the longest.

If the power goes out for a few hours, no problem. LED lamps give light while I practice guitar :)

13. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

My folks just bought a place nearby to where we stayed, so I hope to be going up there to check out the situation (we've already scoped out the neighborhood, so to speak). It's already "country" decor based on photos I've seen, so adding a few oil lamps and a "decorative" 12 gauge over the fireplace should be easy. The tricky part will be convincing my dad to let me have a corner of his shop for "camping gear" because we're out of room at our house. The cabin has a couple of working wood fireplaces, so heat/cooking is covered, it has propane tanks, so stove cooking/hot water is covered, there's a spring-fed creek nearby, so water is covered, now to get a small solar pump set up to pressurize the water from the cistern and we're alot closer to a BOL. In all reality, I think that's why he bought the place, even if he would never voice that opinion. I just need to nudge him in the right direction!

14. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

A little north of Cleveland?:scratch must be Lake Erie.:D:p:eek:

15. TimB

TimB Member

Sounds like you have an excellent start on a BOL. :2thumb: I hope to find a similar place soon or some land to build a cabin on. We've already picked out a cabin plan if we do decide to build. :)

sailaway, NOT that Cleveland. :)

Tim

16. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

The "training" stuck!

So we get a flyer in the mail from a local grocery chain, titled "Summer Storm Savings". Cute,right? Well, DW starts flipping through it, and scoffs. She said "I don't see candles or matches on here, and just how does canned raviolli help in a storm. If the power is out, how are most people supposed to cook? I mean, we'd be fine, with our grill and the camp stove, but really. Summer Storm? They're nuts." I was grinning from ear to ear, I hugged her and told her how proud I was that she was finally becoming a prepper. And for once, she didn't slug me! It just might be sinking in, woo-hoo!

17. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Gotta start somehow ... maybe a grocery-flyer will be enough to wake up more people :congrat:

18. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

We bought our bus in Cleveland Ga..

19. TimB

TimB Member

At least she's thinking along the right lines. :congrat: As far as summer storms... :eek:
    We rode around a little up there keeping an eye peeled for property. A little bit north of Helen (Robertstown) on Ga. 75 was a considerable amount of storm damage. We rode over to Lake Burton at Mocassin Creek State Park and could not believe the devastation. :(

I believe the world is truly getting smaller every day. ;) :D

Tim

20. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

What?

Accidental training is nothing new to me,I learn how to live with another one everyday.