About water?????????

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by anna40, Mar 3, 2010.

1. anna40

anna40 New Member

Im totally new at this and i have a question that may seem rather...stupid. In an emergency do you just quit getting water from your faucet? Would it be because there is no electricity to pump it through the pipes? Or is it that we would get water but it could be contaminated? Also, would purifcation tablets work as well as a water filter? It seems like they would be much easier. Im starting to stockpile some food, and want to tackle the water issue but just dont know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Welcome to the forum!

You can continue to get public water until the towers go dry and/or the pumps stop running. Fill your sinks, tubs... anything that will hold water. With some relatively easy purification it can be used for drinking water.

Here's a couple sources for some good info on purifying.

A) Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water | Safewater | Water | US EPA

B) There's a decent PDF document at FEMA. Do a google search for FEMA water purification. It should be the first site that appears.

C) For Calcium Hypochlorite, do a google search for same. Here's a site that discusses what I'm referring to. Perma Pak How to make chlorine from pool shock

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Most municiple water supplies are pumped to tank at an elevated location then the water flows by gravity to the homes/businesses in the area. If the city has standby pumps to continue pumping in the event of a power outage you will continue to have water. The best thing is to fill everything in the house that will hold water. Go to the websites listed for water purification info. If you have any reason to believe the water supply is contaminated by terrorists or chemicals do not drink it. Used water you have in storage for that. If you don't have stored water begin storing it now. You should have at least a three day supply on hand at all times.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Unless you have an artesian well 20' from your door. :D :sssh:

5. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

I have a 24ft pool and it holds 13,500 gals. That I plan to use for cleaning clothes and dishes ( after I boil it). And probably us too. Also, in my area where I live there are underground springs. Right along side the hard top road, some of them come up right out of the ground. I've made note where they are all along the road. We have the berkey filters and two 5 gallon buckets to make our filtering system. This year is the year that I will make rain barrels a priority. Not only for the gardens but for us also.
    I would advise anna to start cleaning out and keeping her milk jugs. Fill them with water for the toilet only. I also have kept alot of juice jugs for water storage. I just make sure that I use a bleach solution to clean them really well.

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Something else that Anna may wish to do is use part of her freezer for water-storage. Re-using Gatoraid-style bottles works well. Instead of recycling the bottle for money, 3/4 fill the bottle, lightly cap and place in the freezer. When the bottle is frozen solid, screw the cap on solid and leave at the bottom of the freezer.

In case of power-outtage, the frozen water bottles will help keep the food in the freezer frozen for longer and when the water in the bottles melts, it can be used for drinking, washing or whatever it is needed for.

7. truthfulwon

truthfulwon Junior Member

I save my laundry detergent bottles as well as bleach bottles. That is for my dishes water or washing hands primarily disposable water. That way my drinking is not used for any other purpose.

I use my 2 litre bottles and juice bottles for my drinking water and cooking. I also have my bottled water from the store. I made the mistake of filling my milk jugs with water. And they started to desinagrate and water got all over the floor. They are biodegradable. But glad I found that out now then later.

8. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Milk jugs are biodegradable? I've used them to store water, still do..how long does it take before they leak? I've had some for a long time..??? in fact I had one half full in the back of my pickup for almost over a year, just sitting there...

Learn something new every day...:dunno:

9. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Just watched the movie 'Waterborne', may enlighten some on the water issue and how precious it is. I rate it about 3 stars, its ok but has a good point, BE PREPARED!

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I'm relatively safe for fresh water, just concerned about its purity, 20% of the WORLDS fresh water is right here in the great lakes basin.

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Awesome movie!!! Watched it several times. I was thinking about commenting about it in this thread, glad you did :wave:

12. NavyKen

NavyKen Active Member

I have six 55 gallon barrels that used to have Mountain Dew syrup in them they are sold for $20.00 each and need to be cleaned out. Rinse with fresh water, then strong bleach solution, then baking soda solution rinse and finally another fresh water rinse. Really helps but it will take a while for the flavor to completely go away. I change the water every six months. this means I have 330 gallons of water on hand at all times.

13. ampastor69

ampastor69 New Member

slightly smaller bowl inside larger one distiller

clear plastic teepeee catches evaporated dirty water from inner bowl,condenses n runs into outer bowl, scale up or down as bowls fit. can do with 2 litter water bottles too.enough to drink

14. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

This works for bacteria and viruses, but does not remove all chemical contamination, as a lot of chemicals evaporate at a lower temp than water does. So although it is useful in some situations, I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Short term, I would suggest buying a few home water cooler refill bottles. They cost under $5 for 20L in Canada. Count on a minimum of 4L per person per day to cover cooking and cleaning. Don't forget to account for pets. We keep a minimum 100L on hand in the house for 2 people, 2 large dogs, and 3 cats, which we figure amounts to at least 10 days' worth. It isn't too bad an amount to store, being only 5 cooler bottles. We also keep 2L in each car, and an extra 4L when we are going on a long trip.

For longer term, you'll probably want a few methods of purifying water. You can boil it, which will kill a lot of bacteria and viruses. Water treatment tablets will also kill germs. Chlorination is effective, and a bottle of bleach is cheap. Physical filtration will remove chemicals that other methods won't. We keep multiple methods on hand, so that we can use whatever best fits the situation. We looked into a Berkey, but it was way beyond our budget. Instead we got a "Just Water" ceramic filter from Monolithic. While we haven't used it yet, we were pleased with the price and the quick service. I think we paid around $30 with shipping to Canada, but that was awhile ago.

Here is the website:
    A Practical, Life-Sustaining Water Filter | Monolithic

15. texican

texican Active Member

I keep a 50 million gallon reservoir full, right above my home, for gravity fed water. I don't care if the grid goes down... as long as the laws of gravity are in effect, I'll have water! ;)

16. shadowrider

shadowrider Well-Known Member

"I would advise anna to start cleaning out and keeping her milk jugs. Fill them with water for the toilet only."

This may only work with a septic system. If the city water pumps are down from lose of power the sewer pumps will be also.

texican are you below the dam at Possum Kingdom? Man thats one big tank!:scratch
    sahdowrider

17. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

yea. you're right shadow. I forget that others AREN'T on a septic. lol I'm so used to conserving water and such because this is the way I've lived for 30yrs now. Just a habit I guess lol

18. hurst_guy

hurst_guy Member

I'm new here too

Anyway I just received my Katadyn Siphon filter today. It's gravity fed and will filter 5300 gallons of water. Cost was 75 dollars delivered and an absolute best buy for the money.:)

19. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

If you live in a city apartment then buy a large water bed and placed it under your regular bed and then fill it up, some bleach before filling.

Many here are getting ready like if this is going to last only for a few hours, days, weeks, months........well, is going to last for years and years and years.

Before the US becomes, once again, what it was in the past (if ever) it will take at least two to three generations.......buy silver, buy gold and hold it.

"If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

20. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

The thing is, Ponce, everyone has to start somewhere, and teh easiest place to start is to prep for a short-term emergency. Once you've got three days' worth of food, water, and medical supplies, then you can start working towards three weeks or three months' worth...or three years' worth. But unless they are rich, people have to start small...