ABC News: Doomsday shelters

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by gypsysue, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

2. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

3. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

Well, I'm not sure about starting over in the middle of a desert after leaving the bunker, but I do agree with his fear / worry of anarchy. Good find.

4. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

Good Find Gypsysue...

I don't think I would like to be the first one out of one of these shelters. Who knows what will be waiting for you. I rather take my chances in the mountains. ;)

5. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I'm pretty familiar with the cold-war era bunkers they're using.

The one in the article is about 8000 sq/ft if I recall correctly. I believe they're selling space for around 300 people. That's A LOT of people to put in that area, plus all the food and such that would be needed. BTW, unless they're gutting it, about 40% of that 8K sq/ft is for infrastructure components (water, sewer, HVAC, power generation, fuel storage, fire suppression system, MCC's, Mimic Panel, Transformers...).

The hub-and-spoke design shown in the video is too big to fit in there. For that, they'll have to start with open ground and start digging.

A concern for those that purchased spots should be "will they open the door when I get there?". If SHTF, when would they lock it down and refuse any further admittance?

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

By the way bczoom how is your shelter doing, do you have it stocked up. Last I heard you had it up for sale, any takers.

7. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I still have it. It's well stocked.
    There's been some interest, inquiries and site visits but most have been via agents for a group, company or otherwise so I don't know who is actually interested.
    We're thinking of building some apartments/condos inside of it at this point. The first 2 of them will be 1300 sq/ft. If/as we build more, they'll probably be about 1/2 that size.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I'd hate to have to travel as far as some of them (and possibly some of you!) to get to the shelter/BOL. My worry is that I either wouldn't make it, or it would be too late and they won't open the door!

I saw on the news clip that one guy had his stuff in a storage unit...was that stuff he needed for AFTER they come out of the shelter, or stuff he'd need to go get and take TO the shelter? If it's for "after", I'd wonder if it would still be there (scavengers or destruction). If it's for "during", he'd have to take time to go get it on the way to the shelter.

9. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

:D I am sure glad that I don't live in America.:D

10. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Mine is only a mile away. :D

11. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

According to the guy's website, the round shelter is designed for only about 200 people. The central hub will be 2 levels. And the outer spokes will be the living areas. However, this is NOT the shelter in the video, located in Barstow, California.

The one in Barstow is the first, which is simply being retrofitted from an existing structure. It is going to be expanded to 13,000 square feet and will only accommodate up to 132 people.

The info and schematics on it are right here:
    Vivos - Underground Survival Shelters Equipment and Supplies

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Those are huge shelters. Well, I guess they won't get lonely, with all those people in there. Me, I guess when I get tired of my family (in the shelter! lol) I'll finally have time to read!

Some of those people were 150 miles from the shelter, some were halfway across the country. One said his primary plan was to fly to the shelter (private plane), if not that, then drive, and finally, to walk. I think he said it would take 23 days to walk there? Might be too late when he gets there!

13. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Wow! The PRICES! It would cost me $175,000 for my family of 4. I could buy property and build my own shelter for that (I think).

14. james_black

james_black Active Member

NICEEEEE!!!! I wish I have the $$$. I will build one all for myself (and the wife too) lol :D