Aaaarrrrgggghhh bug out

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by catsraven, Aug 19, 2011.

1. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

We have been having grass fires and some house fires around here. last night we had a grass fire some houses cot fire we were told to be ready at a moments notice to leave. My mother freaked out. I told her to get important papers. And that every thing was under control. She just looked at me. I had to explain that I had every thing we would need. I grabbed my BOB put it by the door. She got the papers and did the same.

She kept asking me questions. Do you have clothes for me in there, medication, soap, brush, what about water? I just had to laugh yes mother I have all of that and more. What about the chickens and Jackson? Chickens can be put into a box, Jackson can go with the neighbors horses. Well it looks like you have every thing thought out. Im going to sit down.

They got the fire under control about 1/4 mile away. We did not have to leave. I think my mother is getting a clue. She asked me to make one for her.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

how long did it take for everybody to be ready to bug out?

3. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Ten min. Just mom and me during the week. All the papers are in a lock box. The guys are home on the weekends. Dont know how long it would take if they were hear.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Glad to know you all are alright ... and also nice that had things went the other way ... you had a plan.:2thumb:

Grass fires/ wild fires are strange critters ... keep an eye and ear open. Thinking of you and yours.:)

5. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Thanks *Andi. You know, I knew that nothing was going to happen to the house and even if it did I was not worried.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Good job, Catsraven. I've said it before, but there is a difference between having lots of cool stuff and actually having the presence of mind to be able to function and think on your feet during an emergency and it sounds like you did well.

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

have you looked into any of the Thermal Gel home fire-proofing products? If you live in an area of frequent grass fires (like my friend in California) the insurance savings pay for the unit in about 3 years... the chances of having something to come back to greatly increase.

8. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Grass fire is not to common around here. Just when we have drought. This year we have had very very little rain. I had not thought about Thermal Gel.