Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a test of the 22 rifle , I have always said the 22lr is a great little round but this article really made my eyes widen!!!

I ain't posting this to start a flame war, read it, think what ya want , I don't mind a bit of conversation but don't want or need a 5 page dissertation of why this is wrong, go try it yourself if you disagree..I'll accept it as it is written.

Lethality of the 22LR- Results! - Sniper's Hide Forums

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
No arguments from me. A 22 was my first weapon and still my favorite.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Good read! There are far to many "experts" spouting off about things they've never done. I've read articles saying a 22 short didn't have enough pwer to ceanly kill rabbits which would be news to hundreds of thousands of rabbits killed by people using 22 shorts. I've used them very effectively on rbbits and fox squirrels out to 100 yards. I've known several coyotes and deer that have fallen to 22 rimfires. The man (or woman) behind the gun is far more important than the ammo in the gun!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I'll agree, impressive read!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good read! There are far to many "experts" spouting off about things they've never done. I've read articles saying a 22 short didn't have enough pwer to ceanly kill rabbits which would be news to hundreds of thousands of rabbits killed by people using 22 shorts. I've used them very effectively on rbbits and fox squirrels out to 100 yards. I've known several coyotes and deer that have fallen to 22 rimfires. The man (or woman) behind the gun is far more important than the ammo in the gun!
MMM now thats the truth!! when I was a kid we bought shorts coz they was $0.50 a box of 50 and I remember one night me and a buddy killed 49 Cotton tails in a hay field by car light, we dressed them and sold them for 25 cents each and used the money to take our girls to the drive in movie... it was worth it!

Oh and the 50th shot???? I missed, never got over it LOL

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
I have loved the little rimfire all my life - one reason I have over thirty of them (mostly rifles) collected over the years. Very interesting variety of actions, styles and history in them! Used to be able to be found cheap, but prices have risen greatly. The days of finding a nice little .22 rifle for fifty bucks is about gone. :(
And of course, each has it's own preference for ammo. One will like Winchester brand, while another jams on anything marked "W".
Eventually I even got into the .17 HMR thing - only one though.

I used to do my squirrel hunting by shotgun, but that can get messy and biting on a piece of lead shot ain't fun. After reading of using the "lowly twentytwo", I tried it - much better! A good scoped .22LR rifle can do consistent headshots out to fifty yards, though my preference is not over thirty yards. Sit at the base of a tree overlooking several good hardwood trees, and you can bag your limit of bushytails in an hour or two.
Feral cat control is best done by .22, though in town takes great care! The shorts and 'primer-only' rounds require precise shot placement! But done right, the neighbors never know you have eradicated a small-bird-killing-machine from the environs. ;)

Even with the price of .22LR ammo having doubled or tripled in the last two years, it is still a bargain compared to factory centerfire ammo.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
22 lr prepping ammo

I have always believed the 22 was the best prep weapon one could have meaning for hunting for meat during a SHTF event, simply because it's quieter then anything else.

I went the route last year of getting a can for my 10-22 , the cost was high, because of the $200.00 "TAX" stamp ( control ) but I have it now and it makes me feel much better, should I chose to I can use it on any of several 22 pistols sold with threaded bbls.

Ammo for me is like putting away gold for some folks, I have on hand as of now 50 K rounds , I'll be dust before I can shoot it all, but I have young people I care about that just may not be "allowed" ( more control) to even buy ammo some day, so...it's my legacy to them, and I'm not done yet...what I can do today may well help folks I love long after I'm gone, or their kids...

In many little talks I've given and things I've written I've often stated that a family of 4 on a limited budget can arm themselves with 4 10-22 rifles, extra 25 round mags and plenty of ammo for the cost of one ar 15 and a 1000 rounds of ammo, and 4 people shooting with 4 22 rifles is a lot of lead down range. and the little rifle can allow training to start almost as soon as a kid can walk and talk, there is no reason a 6 year old couldn't help protect the farmstead if required...

Easy to master, no recoil, no loud blasts, lots to be said for the poodle shooter...

·
3,698 Posts
When people ask about survival firearms the 22 is always first on the list.

Shorts and CB caps kill small game well and the noise level is very low when shot out of a rifle. Of course a can is better but one does what one has to do.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Interesting read, most shooters at the Appleseed Project events shoot 22s. Most of the shooting I do can be done with a 22.

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
Yep, and at your local range, don't be afraid to take the .22 rimfire out to 100 yards! Any decent .22LR bolt action can turn in quite respectable shooting at that distance - 2 to 3 MOA with a scope. Especially if you use Standard Velocity ammo - subsonic high quality - ONE MOA is doable. CCI Standard is quite good and won't break the bank.
Even a good Marlin Model 60 or Ruger 10-22 (unmodified) can pop a soda can on the 100 yard berm eight of ten imes with practice.
Seen it done, and have done it myself. PRACTICE is the key! :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Back in the 70's with all the politically motivated hijackings, our military used .22LR rifles & pistols for counter hijack teams.
Since they only took head shots most times, the .22 was deemed 'Safe' for aircraft (Electronics, Hydraulics, ect.),
Over penetration, collateral human damage was minimized, ect.

For those of you that get your 'Facts' from talk radio,
Democratic President JFK instituted the SAL ('Sea, Air, Land' Warrior program, you know it as 'SEALS'...

Democratic President Jimmy Carter instituted 'Delta Force'.

It was the 'Delta Force' that trained with the .22LR in aircraft recovery after a hijacking, and the .22LR round was found to be more than enough to take out a terrorist/hijacker.

Some of the early issued rifles were pretty strange looking, but had features we find on a lot of 'Tactical Rifles' we have now.
------------------

As far as just going shooting, the Rimfires are my all time favorites!
Doesn't break your shoulder, eardrums, or budget to go shooting all afternoon, and they are a ball to shoot!

I'm partial to the .17 Rimfires, along with the old standby .22LR/.22WMR!

When we were shooting in military competitions, between rounds, we shot .22 rifles to keep the flinching down to a minimum,
And I can tell you right now, from being a 'Country Kid', that a LOT more meat was put on the table with .22 LR than any other firearm in the house!

You get a lot of meat with a 'Deer Gun', but you can go hunting about every day with a .22, and if you can't put meat on the table, there was something wrong with your hunting!
And it doesn't take long putting 2 or 3 rabbits, squirrels, ducks, ect. on the table with a .22 to far surpass any meat weight you might get from the one deer you might get a year back then!

I used to pop rabbits/squirrels/groundhogs about every day on the farm, so it was a CONSTANT source of meat for the table (and the grandparents REALLY loved game meat!) so I can tell you from experience that a .22 was the 'Hot Ticket' when it came to table meat!
The only 'Small Game' I can't take with a .22LR is FISH! (And some people try! :( )

We ALWAYS had a .22LR or .22WMR on the farm equipment for popping coyotes, skunks, ground hogs digging in pastures... You get the idea...
Just as necessary a 'Tool' as a hoe, rake, wrench in a farm setting...

The SORRIEST day of my life was when I spent an entire summers hay money on a .220 Swift because I though I needed a 'Varmint' gun over a .22LR or .22WMR which is what we had most times...
That thing was BRUTAL on shoulder, ear drums, budget! Made me cringe every time I went to pull the trigger, so of course it wasn't accurate since my eyes were usually closed!
Live and learn!

I've followed that to this day,
My light weight AR-15 that rides around in my truck with me usually has a .22LR conversion bolt and .22LR mag in it.
If I need the .223 round, it only takes about 10 to 15 seconds to change the bolt carrier out and go to full on .223 rounds,
But most of the time, the .22LR is PLENTY of round to do the jobs I run into around the farm,
And it's STILL putting meat on the table every week!

When we teach the local kids to shoot (not many 'Farm Kids' anymore, farms are mostly large and automated now, not a lot of 'Little' farms with 'Hired Hands' living on site anymore),
So we start them out on pellet guns to learn sight picture and trigger control,
Then move them up to .22 rifles so they get used to the report,
And it works VERY well!

Sure beats the way most people do things, handing some kid a .357 or 12 Ga. and letting them learn to flinch for the rest of their lives!

All in all, I'd say a .22LR is my FAVORITE rifle of all time,
And it's just hard to say 'No' to a day out with the old Ruger 10/22 rifles and a brick of ammo!
Just a great day of fun, some friendly competition, and some sharpening of skills, along with like minded people that can get the job done in a pinch!

·
3,698 Posts
I've heard about the noise issue but I wouldn't have thought a 220 Swift had much recoil. I've never shot one. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

It's just pretty hard to beat the versatility of the 22 rimfire.

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
My pride and joy is my mom's Colt Huntsman 22 pistol. When she died, the gun was passed on to me and it's probably the best shootin' and plinkin' pistol around. Mom could break lightbulbs at 50 yards all day long with it. Truly fond memories. :)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've heard about the noise issue but I wouldn't have thought a 220 Swift had much recoil. I've never shot one. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

It's just pretty hard to beat the versatility of the 22 rimfire.
Huh, I agree, every 220 swift I shot was a puppy, they have an issue with shooting out the bbls before you really find a good load and if you load them down they become a 22-250, and while great for long range flat shooting the slightest breeze is too much wind..

I have taken deer with the 22 LR, long ago when I was young and really needed the meat and too hell with hunting laws, man has to feed his family...

I got the can for the 10-22 because one of my biggest worries was noise while hunting food... with the right ammo all you hear is the bolt cycling and I may pick up a bolt gun just to avoid even that... When you have Murphy living on the same street you want Mr paranoid as your next door neighbor !!!

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts
A certain older guy set me straight on the true value of the .22lr and it proved to be correct. I can say with absolute certainty a .22lr out of a rifle drops a coyote even if you're a horrid shot like me.

(who woulda thunk you could forget military training in 10 measly years and become such a craptacular shot?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The HONORABLE 22lr.

There are certains icons of society which have stood both the test of time and are categorized as 'Classic Perfection in it's Simplicity'. These would be the; bicycle [human-powered], the US.Army P-38 can opener [manual], a General Motors small-block V-8, the original Volkswagen Bug [air-cooled], and of course the 22lr. firearm [I favor the RUGER 10-22/Mark-series pistols]. Always underrated by the 'Gun writers' in the industry, they continually run in circles chasing their tails, while hypeing the virtue of; bigger is better, newer is best, metric vs SAE standard calibers. They boast & crow about what is the best for this month's issue, but I'll bet none of them would volunteer as a test target for any 22lr. caliber firearm - long gun or sidearm, the very caliber they look down upon. You think we could raise enough greenbacks to have one of those guys 'put up or shut up' I really don't think that is ever going to happen. This is a short list I know, many items have been left out for the purposes of convenience and space considerations, and is meant for consideration only as an illustration.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts