A Small Change I Recently Made To My Routine

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by RossA, Mar 19, 2009.

1. RossA

RossA Active Member

We have several indoor cats. Please, no adverse comments from cat haters!
    We use a fair amount of cat litter, which I have usually purchased in cardboard boxes which we then recycled.
    I have recently started purchasing 40 lb. containers of litter in plastic pails with tight fitting snap on lids. I will now have a regular supply of plastic containers in which to store items which I don't want to leave exposed. The containers can also be used to store water if necessary.
    One little change to my routine, but it will hopefully help me prepare.

2. mandiex4

mandiex4 Mom of 4

That sounds great!

3. MaryV

MaryV Well-Known Member

every little thing counts. thats part of being prepared I think, we have to consider other ways of doing things than we normally do, I am 59 and set in my ways but now that i am preparing, I am making huge changes. sounds like you are thinking smart.
    you have to prep for your cats too! I have a dog, and I have to prep for him as well.

4. mona

mona Guest

These plastic buckets may or may not be food grade. Make sure to line the buckets with a food grade plastic bag if you are going to consume what is stored in the buckets.

A friend of mine uses her buckets as nesting boxes for the chickens. I don't see why it cann't be modified for a rabbit hutch too.

5. Smithy

Smithy Outdoorsman, Bladesmith

Definately useful for flush-buckets, if nothing else. Nice to be able to use the commode if the water gets turned off. Like it did for a week in DC after a big post-hurricane storm screwed with the water treatment facilities upstream, a few years back.

6. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

7. morlikmartha

morlikmartha jan in very rural bama

my oldest daughter is working her way thru college in a truck stop and brings home all the butter and sour cream buckets they are food grade and free ,i love the free part the most she adds 1 or 2 a week to our collection i use them for everything flour ,sugar;pasta,beans,grits,rice everything you can think of even the younger kids toys

8. kettleMan

kettleMan Guest

I think that will work out better for you than boxes as buckets will last you a life time and are waterproof.

Check out mandiex4's blog for 10 different ways to use a bucket with a snap on lid!