Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
The idea is sort of cool, but tiny tractors don't really accomplish much. hydraulic drives are horribly inefficient. a restored ford 8N goes for way less and is 10 x the tractor, but VHS out sold BETA.
My son bought a 140 hp tractor with a CAT 2 three point hitch and a really good loader and decent tires for $8500.00 CDN about a month ago, Granted he has been looking for at least a year.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Yes! I need a tractor of any sort. Im gonna build something. Although i might take after my gramp and use my old chevy as the base of it. 4 wheel peel is kinda nice!
If I were to build a tractor, I think a fourwheel drive based on pickup parts would be the answer, a torquey engine, like a 4.3 V6 chev, with the cam advanced, a turbo 350 with a lock up convertor in front of a 203/205 transfer case. chev 14 bolt hd floating axles and articulated steering. slight modification to 16" dual rims would allow 18.4 16.1 tires.

And you have a tractor, not an ungainly garden toy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were to build a tractor, I think a fourwheel drive based on pickup parts would be the answer, a torquey engine, like a 4.3 V6 chev, with the cam advanced, a turbo 350 with a lock up convertor in front of a 203/205 transfer case. chev 14 bolt hd floating axles and articulated steering. slight modification to 16" dual rims would allow 18.4 16.1 tires.

Basically just like that. Except no turbo 350 it would be an old 4speed rock crusher with pto. Can't stand autos. And no suspension to speak of. Would build soild just like a tractor.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
you gotta build what you like ,

·
Registered
0 Posts
you gotta build what you like ,
Very true. That and my gramp built a tractor out if an old truck so i have one to copy.

I probably want a lot of different things in a Shop built tractor than you do, I have several old tractors, that do a fine job of what they do, If I were to build one it would need to do those things easier or better.
My transmission choice is more or a powershift, IE full manual valvebody, lock up convertor, with range selection via the transfer case combo.
a simple manual transmission with a dry clutch would be easier, but less versatile IMO. I think 4 wheeldrive with articulating steering makes for less demand on axle strength,
but a pickup truck coupled to a big (23000 #) gas truck rearend , for the deep gearing hopefully a 2 speed axle, would make a pretty quick build that would work well for years.

I probably want a lot of different things in a Shop built tractor than you do, I have several old tractors, that do a fine job of what they do, If I were to build one it would need to do those things easier or better.
My transmission choice is more or a powershift, IE full manual valvebody, lock up convertor, with range selection via the transfer case combo.
a simple manual transmission with a dry clutch would be easier, but less versatile IMO. I think 4 wheeldrive with articulating steering makes for less demand on axle strength,
but a pickup truck coupled to a big (23000 #) gas truck rearend , for the deep gearing hopefully a 2 speed axle, would make a pretty quick build that would work well for years.
Oh i didn't think of a split rear. I was thinking twin transfers but i like the split rear idea better. I wonder if you can get a rockwell with a split rear? Articulating in the middle would be awesome, not to hard to do either. Good thing your not closer to nh, id be bugging you for sure!

Most 2 speed axles were eatons, I am guessing you are referring to Rockwell military style axles, Rockwell/Timken did build some 2 speed stuff though.

Yes i am. Timken is 30 mins from me. But I've never seen a split rockwell thats why i ask.

the manual that I found Rockwell referred to as Timken was from the 1970s
and it didn't show model numbers, what EVER IS PLENTYFULL in your area is the correct choice for a shop built machine

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
yes I posted the part with the link, but probably at the same time the Mods decided it would be clearer from reply 4, As long as the info gets to those interested..........

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts

Ask and you shall receive: (based on a Dodge 4WD truck with a 318)

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts

·
Dogs breath
2,597 Posts
yes I posted the part with the link, but probably at the same time the Mods decided it would be clearer from reply 4, As long as the info gets to those interested..........
WE just try to be accomadating when possible, ;):)

Just a little massaging of things.:wave:

Jim

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
This dump trailer would be HANDY (about perfect size for a homesteader) and made very cheaply if you can get junked boat trailers for parts:

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
A shop built spin on the oggun / tuff built style

If a person built a chassis like the Allis G, which is a great design for a small tillage tractor, but instead of using a hydrostatic design transmission and small engine(which is probably most of the price)
Most small front drive cars have transvers mounted engine and trans axle,
these can be found cheap, you might need to wreck 2 cars to get both a good engine and good transaxle.
Mount the power pack over the rear axle location and build an enclosed roller chain drop box to transfer power to the rear wheels, a cross shaft that had a dog clutch could provide an optional differential lock out.

you could build a very effective tractor from mostly salvage parts. and if a bit of planning went into the rear drive design it could be pretty easy to swap to a completely different manufacturers engine/ trans axle set up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts