Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
with no legs. I had a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate left over from something so i cut it into a circle with the torch, then cut out the center and welded 5 short bolts on the plate for legs, now i can use it to stack a couple ovens, nothing fancy, but ti does the job.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Nice idea!

I have seen stacked DutchOvens before and never gave it a second thought as to how they were stacked. Alas, I only have one ...

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
... !

Great job, lotsoflead!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Interesting.

I have a question though. I've never done it but I've read articles on dutch oven cooking. they tell you to put a few pieces of charcoal on top to get heating from all directions. How would you get uniform heating on both ovens?

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting.

I have a question though. I've never done it but I've read articles on dutch oven cooking. they tell you to put a few pieces of charcoal on top to get heating from all directions. How would you get uniform heating on both ovens?
you would use twice as many on the top lid.the ovens get smaller as you stack them so if the first oven needed 14 coals on top and the second one called for 6 on the bottom, you would put the 6 under the second oven and the other 8 coals out around the edge of the top oven.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
OK. That makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had 5 give my brother 2 and he's hooked. Two with leg's and the others don't all but one are two day's older than dirt. HE! HE! Don't know how old but one is over 80. Food has a special taste in them ya can't get on a stove top.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Fancy smanshy, yer cookin in iron. If it works that be all that matters, better built then what ya woulda bought. I like it, nice job!:2thumb:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Volcano stoves

Anybody have any experience with a Volcano stove? made for cooking with dutch ovens and stacking..

I read about them and they seem to be the cats ass for cooking with charcoal and dutch ovens..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody have any experience with a Volcano stove? made for cooking with dutch ovens and stacking..

I read about them and they seem to be the cats ass for cooking with charcoal and dutch ovens..
I don't see how a Vocano stove would work with a dutch oven, there has to be more heat on top of a dutch oven for it to cook even.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts

·
414 Posts
could not resist the wife is dutch and does not like my bed time dutch Oven..... LOL
1st time I did it she had never heard of it... LOL

·
Registered
638 Posts
LOL, that will work. Not sure it apply's but i took an old binkmans bullet grill one time set my dutch oven down into the pan with the charcol then put the top layer on and dang it cooked the crap outa a deer stew, done great. Used it for two years before it fell apart. They were going to throw it out before i got it. If ya find an old binkmans grill, smoker with the grates burned out or rusted up as long as that pan still there. Snag it and try it with the dutch oven they cook great in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
no flame cooking

I live in the desert southwest and a friend told me that in the summer he can cook a meal during the day using just an old tire that his dutch oven fits snugly inside of. He says the sun heats the black tire enough to cook a meal in the dutch oven. I know I am going to try it this summer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts