A dutch oven

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by lotsoflead, Oct 29, 2010.

1. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

with no legs. I had a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate left over from something so i cut it into a circle with the torch, then cut out the center and welded 5 short bolts on the plate for legs, now i can use it to stack a couple ovens, nothing fancy, but ti does the job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Nice idea!

I have seen stacked DutchOvens before and never gave it a second thought as to how they were stacked. Alas, I only have one ...

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

... !

Great job, lotsoflead!

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I have a question though. I've never done it but I've read articles on dutch oven cooking. they tell you to put a few pieces of charcoal on top to get heating from all directions. How would you get uniform heating on both ovens?

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

6. lotsoflead

you would use twice as many on the top lid.the ovens get smaller as you stack them so if the first oven needed 14 coals on top and the second one called for 6 on the bottom, you would put the 6 under the second oven and the other 8 coals out around the edge of the top oven.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

OK. That makes sense. Thanks.

8. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I had 5 give my brother 2 and he's hooked. Two with leg's and the others don't all but one are two day's older than dirt. HE! HE! Don't know how old but one is over 80. Food has a special taste in them ya can't get on a stove top.

9. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Fancy smanshy, yer cookin in iron. If it works that be all that matters, better built then what ya woulda bought. I like it, nice job!:2thumb:

10. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Volcano stoves

Anybody have any experience with a Volcano stove? made for cooking with dutch ovens and stacking..

I read about them and they seem to be the cats *** for cooking with charcoal and dutch ovens..

11. lotsoflead

I don't see how a Vocano stove would work with a dutch oven, there has to be more heat on top of a dutch oven for it to cook even.

12. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

could not resist the wife is dutch and does not like my bed time dutch Oven..... LOL
    1st time I did it she had never heard of it... LOL

13. kyfarmer

Son ya gona get more than roadrash if ya keep that up. LOL

14. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

Actually I will get less....

15. kyfarmer

LOL, that will work. Not sure it apply's but i took an old binkmans bullet grill one time set my dutch oven down into the pan with the charcol then put the top layer on and dang it cooked the crap outa a deer stew, done great. Used it for two years before it fell apart. They were going to throw it out before i got it. If ya find an old binkmans grill, smoker with the grates burned out or rusted up as long as that pan still there. Snag it and try it with the dutch oven they cook great in them.

16. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Active Member

i have had one for years we use it every time we have a bombfire cant do without it now

17. MrTinkerTrain

MrTinkerTrain New Member

Dutch ovens

Good idea... i could use a couple of those... :rolleyes:

Cheers on idea!
    :beercheer:

18. Thors7Glocks

Thors7Glocks New Member

the best peach cobbler and breafast grub I've ever had has been cooked up on dutch ovens while camping.

19. kolob

kolob Member

no flame cooking

I live in the desert southwest and a friend told me that in the summer he can cook a meal during the day using just an old tire that his dutch oven fits snugly inside of. He says the sun heats the black tire enough to cook a meal in the dutch oven. I know I am going to try it this summer.