A diet that really works...

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by prepperware, Jul 22, 2013.

1. prepperware

prepperware Active Member

No.. this is not an ad... It may sound like one but it is not.

I'm quickly approaching 55 and do not mean the speed limit. Over the last 15 years I've been as high as 30 lbs over my desired weight. I did successfully get back down about 12 years ago with exercise, and restricted calorie intake. I kept that up for about 2 - 3 years...

I've recently started on a diet that is worth passing on... "The Overnight Diet" by Dr Caroline Aprovian. It is not a fad diet. It is a way to start eating the right foods in the right proportions and so far it really works... at least for me. And I'm not ever hungry... It's really amazing.

What I feel is the secret of this diet is once a week you have a day that you only drink the these high protein/ low carb/ zero fat - but highly nutritious, "smoothies" you make yourself from her recipes. In that 24 hour period it puts your body into the state where you are burning your own fat supplies ( the smoothies are ZERO fat).. You reset your body to this state every week... the rest of the week you eat a low fat diet. This is far from a NO fat diet... you will find with the right foods, you don't need the amount of fat we normally consume... You have to be willing to change your eating habits or it will not work. But you will find yourself eating better, feeling better, not being hungry and your body will naturally shed off all those pounds you've gained from eating a poor diet.

This is a system developed by Dr Caroline Aprovian, at the Nutrition and Weight Management Center at Boston Medical Center, who has worked the last 25 or so years with patients who HAD to lose weight and keep it off. It is all based on science, and what was found to work ... I've just started my 3rd week and have lost over 12 lbs. I feel better physically and it is a great feeling to finally feel like I've found something I can live with and achieve my goal of getting back to my "normal" weight.

All you need is to read her book, buy the right foods... have a blender to make the smooties.. and you will need protein power for the smoothies, and that is it. You will be preparing your meals from scratch so you will need more time than usual. You make your own food but can buy some things from her website if you so desire. I have not nor do I plan to. The book title is "The Overnight Diet"... My coworker told me about it after her hubby and her started about 4 months ago... they have had great success too. She is off her blood pressure meds and her hubby, who is diabetic and has high BP all his life, has greatly lowered is BP meds too...

If anyone has tried this diet I'd like to know how you have been doing. I'm hoping to get to my weight in another 2-4 months.. I plan to just start eating this way so if it takes longer that's ok.. It is a better way to eat. I have not started the exercises which is what I will need to do soon. I'm still adjusting to the eating part....

I hope some of you, who are looking to lose weight will at least go to her website, see what she has to say... check out the book on amazon.. you can read the intro there I think... I only pass this information on because it has really worked for me...

2. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

About in the same boat you are, or was, I’m 57 today. I went from a lazy 210/215 to a happy 170 just eating differently and exercising. It took over a year but I didn’t mind, a slow drop means I will be keeping it off. I have been 170 for about a year now and still happy with the diet. I see folks who drop pounds like a rock only to put it back on in a year or two. It really is more of a lifestyle change than just a diet.

The basics of my plan is eating fruits and vegetables with a small amount of meat/fish/dairy and having 5 or 6 meals a day. I can eat as much of whatever I like as long as it is in that group. I eat no prepackaged dinners or cans of stuff that has ingredients I cannot pronounce. Over processed meats and deli meats I stay away from. I eat out maybe once or twice a year. Once a week I can eat whatever I want. I can have treats twice a week if I feel like it. A bag of Reese’s lasts for months! This gives me some satisfaction and a feel good moment a few times a week. I was really surprised at how fast the need for treats went away. My current bag of Reese’s expired 2 months ago and there are still 5 snack size ones in there! Even the eat whatever I want once a week is maybe a once a month thing now.

It sucked at first because my stomach was swelled from eating two large meals a day. I quelled that by eating lots of celery, apples, lettuce, watermelon… and drinking water. It started out more like snacking all day but little by little I settled into a schedule for meals. A meal may be a bowl of strawberries, mixed fruit, a salad, bowl of steamed or raw vegetables, half a sandwich, soup/stew or a combination of those. Easily half or less of what other folks are having for a meal. As an example, a half pint of beans will do two meals. A pint of stew meat makes 7 or 8 meals. I am still getting enough calories, just spreading them out over the day more.

For exercise. I lost my old lab, Wendy, and got a new black gal. There was very little sitting on the couch snacking when she entered my life I tell ya! It is not going to the gym and pressing iron for hours but it is getting out and going for 4 to 5 hour walks (I walk she runs) every day. And by every day I mean just that! If it is raining, I get wet. If it is dark, I use a flashlight. Plenty of strength training throwing sticks, logs actually. She likes ‘em big. When we get back from our walks we have the garden or other chores to do. Once a month I now have to go through the DVR and clear out shows I have not watched and actually schedule time to watch a movie or show that I want to see.

I hope your new diet works for you, we are all different. Stick with it and I know you’ll be able to keep the weight down and feel better. Hope I didn’t step on your toes with this reply, it is just that different diets work for different lifestyles.

3. prepperware

prepperware Active Member

Stepping on my toes??... I can't even see my toes!!! :)

Just kidding.. I agree that everyone is different. What is important is that you find something that works to get back to eating healthy foods and in healthy proportions. A diet does not leave you hungry if you eat and drink what the body needs... It really has been that simple for me. Time will tell, but I think I found something that I can truly live with..

4. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

I did some research on this after you posted it yesterday. This sounds like the thyroid diet my doctor wants me on. I am calling the used book stores for the book now and will add this method to my diet change.

Thanks.

5. Coastal

Coastal Member

Diet's, Book's, Dr's.......all unnecessary for being fit. My wife was a personal trainer, common sense is another trainer. And madtv summed it up best:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck[/ame]

If everyone would get more active, and control their intake of crappy foods, like pop, diet pop, energy drinks, sugary foods, fatty foods, candy, chocolate, chips, deep fried anything....and replace with some fresh greens and home cooked meals with smaller portions....there would be no obesity problem in north america. ;)

6. Grimm

I do need to point out that I don't eat junk or drink soda but still have weight issues. I can drink water for a week and not eat a crumb and gain weight. I have thyroid disease that affects my weight.

7. gabbyj310

gabbyj310 Not so new

For most people(not all ,like Grimm) a nurse friend said I have a great diet and it's sooo easy.I ask (very excited) and he said,shut your mouth and move!!! Jeeze I wanted a magic something..he was NO fun!! Since I don't smoke,drink liquor of any kind,no coffee, or tea.My one addiction is Dr Pepper.I can diet as long as I have at least one a day(would prefer 2 or 3 maybe 4 on a bad day)Yep I could really afford to loose several pounds but at age 64 it ain't easy. I'm kinda like doing good if I can get up off the floor if I drop something(Dr Pepper in hand of course):D

8. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Not meaning to be an a$$, but I'd rather starve. Not to mention home cooked meals every night won't be happening around here anytime soon. We both work for a living & I assure you after a 10-16 hour day as a builder (hubby) or a nurse (me), the last thing we're doing is cooking from scratch. Sucks to be a taxpayer but somebody has to work for the money that goes to everyone getting a government check. :gaah:

9. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

EDIT: GRIMM, I suggest if you consider either diet that you focus more on Paleo. I've looked into the thyroid research regarding the ketogenic diet and it seems there could be negative effects for some folks.

Check out the paleo diet or the ketogenic diet. (Two separate diets, but with low carb similarities) I have insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome. If I don't eat low carb, I gain weight, do not get menstrual cycles, and I become severely depressed. (Sorry for the TMI gentlemen) Both diets work well with epileptics, PCOS, depression/anxiety, diabetes, thyroid disease, folks with fatty liver disease, and sleep disorders. (To name a few) Basically they reverse or improve almost all issues pertaining to weight or hormones.

I've been on the ketogenic diet since last September. I've lost 30 pounds, my cycles restarted, and my depression has disappeared. What's also nice is that I'm not hungry and exhausted all the time like I was while eating processed, carb filled food.

Only issue I have is restocking my emergency supplies after getting rid of all grains, starches and sugar. I've been working on it though. Probably going to write up an article about it in the near future.

Some links to look at: A lot of information I gathered all came from these links here. There are science articles, FAQs, and awesome individual results posted.

*/r/keto
    */r/xxketo
    */r/paleo
    *Optimal Metabolism - link to Science post in /r/keto

Recommended books to read

*Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health
    *Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
    *Wheat Belly

*The Paleo Solution - The original human diet

tl;dr - Basically just stop eating processed junk food, stick to the outside perimeter of the grocery store. Fatty meats, butter, cheese, dark leafy greens, and nuts. (NO MILK - too much sugar. I substitute almond milk. Works just as well.)

Fat is good for you, carbs can be good for you in moderation. I typically stay under 20 grams of carbs per day on my ketogenic diet. If I ever become pregnant, I'll switch to the paleo diet, and increase my carbohydrate intake to probably 75-100 grams of carbs. Some folks do cyclic keto to build muscle (Increase carbs one day, lower carbs next, etc). Also, avoid sugar as much as possible, and drink a buttload of water. I drink 2-3 liters of water per day. Stay away from all oils except olive and coconut oil.

Supplements I use - I take 500 mg of magnesium, and 1 prenatal pill a day. I also use lite salt to keep up my potassium and sodium levels in check.

10. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

You don’t have to cook every night, once a week for me. I will make a pot of stew, soup, beans or whatever on Sunday. Yes, it takes hours to make and get all set but I do it while doing other chores. Cut stuff up and have in a pan on the counter, add to the pot as needed for cooking time. I make it very bland and more like a base than a meal. It still has all the ingredients in it, just not much for spices. Each weeknight I add something different to some of it, one night noodles and spices, one night rice and vegetables. Whatever combinations you like. It still takes some time but not near as much as say making a pot of tomato base or sauce.

If you are in a hurry one night eat it cold right out of the frig, adding nothing to it.

11. Grimm

I currently eat Paleo. I am not losing weight but I have more energy. The thyroid diet my doctor wants me on is more an increase in small healthy meals. She also advised I try eating as if I were type 2 diabetic. I feel Paleo is healthier than a diabetics diet with a reduced/no carb menu.

12. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

If you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. You need to not eat 3,500 calories to lose one pound.

13. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

That's awesome! When I first started keto, I had so much energy that I had a hard time going to sleep. Eventually that evened out. I recently have been stuck at my weight and had a hard time figuring out what the hell was going on. Turns out that I had to increase my calorie intake from 1400 to 1900 kcal since I'm pretty active. I don't mind since I like to eat. Mmm vegetables. :lolsmash:

Grimm likes this.
  14. tsrwivey

It's not that simple. Living organisms are much more complicated than that. Hell, vehicles are more complicated than that.

15. Grimm

:thankyou:

16. tsrwivey

We've used that ketogenic diet for a few pediatric patients with uncontrolled seizures. Some it doesn't work in but some have had some pretty significant declines in the number of seizures they are having.

Hubby had to go on a low carb diet for a fatty liver, (he's not at all overweight), it definately brought down his liver enzymes.

17. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

When it comes to losing weight it is that simple.

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Woody...bingo, great post.;)
    tsrwivey..I can relate.
    I am 63, 5'1", have had a hysterectomy and refuse to use hormones.
    1200 calories a day is weight gain for me.
    Try it you out there giving advice. See how well that works.
    So since I can't have those calories because my body isn't using those calories, let's try 800.
    Good luck.

Oh, when I graduated high school, I weighed 99. On trying to give blood at age 19, 101.
    Most of my early marriage, 105.
    Around gym days, age 40's, 112.

I can eat an apple, walk 30 minutes a day, or step aerobics, and green salad for dinner--lose not one ounce.
    Genetics, medical history, gender, lots of things are involved in losing and gaining weight.
    I am now ashamed at my attitude toward overweight people as I was living my life as a small, cute 105 lb. babe!!!:(
    But, I still have the prettiest, sexiest legs within miles for my age. They are sveldt--look that up.
    No varicose veins, no cellulite either.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    ~~~If you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. You need to not eat 3,500 calories to lose one pound.~~~
    That just doesn't work after an age and unless you are older than 50 with a hysterectomy, you wouldn't understand.
    At age 30, yep, age 40, weight loss still works. But eventually, age-causing hormonal imbalance will cause weight gain because of your metabolic changes. Especially after a hysterectomy.

19. Coastal

Coastal Member

To a certain extent, but eating too few calories also makes your body do neat things like store everything it gets as fat because it thinks you are starving. If people want to eat poorly, then you need to ramp up the exercise program greatly. Or just be content with your weight and don't complain about it. LOL

20. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

The fewer calories you eat the more careful you have to be to get the right mix of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Exercise is overrated as a weight loss tool. You need to run 35 miles to lose one pound.