Preparedsociety.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lexxi and I decided with the pending fuel supply ending we will opt for several horses, new saddles, (being made as we speak) a spring board wagon, pack saddles, and a carriage. Most think were nuts. I'll remember that when we pass them walking on the road. This is all way cheaper than a 2001 Ford 7.3 Diesel 4x4 which we have two already.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
My hubby is looking for a new spring board wagon (2 horse) ... I would rather have a smaller one horse buggy.

I saw one, a mini buckboard at a sale I would have loved to have ... but it went for something like $12,000 bucks! :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hubby is looking for a new spring board wagon (2 horse) ... I would rather have a smaller one horse buggy.

I saw one, a mini buckboard at a sale I would have loved to have ... but it went for something like $12,000 bucks! :eek:
No fret :wave: we will be building them. Disc brakes too.
We have saddles ordered. Now the waiting begins..........

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
if you're not getting a 'renewable' resource with your horses ;) you might want to look into getting some jacks (mules) very strong animals, with hardier constitutions & surer footing; not as fast in the flatlands nor as pretty,. but plenty smart and affectionate... :eek: :sssh: :p

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
if you're not getting a 'renewable' resource with your horses ;) you might want to look into getting some jacks (mules) very strong animals, with hardier constitutions & surer footing; not as fast in the flatlands nor as pretty,. but plenty smart and affectionate... :eek: :sssh: :p
I agree.A donkey eats very little and is a hardy animal.Thats why you see so many in poor nations[like we are about to be].

Out of all the things I lost I miss my ass the most.She was a great guard donk too.

I'd love to have a buckboard,never got around to a real one.But no longer have anythign to pull it with anyway.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Meerkat you crack me up. LOL.
Funny, I thought the funny part of her quote was "Out of all the things I lost I miss my ass the most.". But... thats just me. :)

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
We go to a few tack sales in N.C. and Ohio each year. (Amish style sells)

But thanks for posting ... ebay has changed, to many rules and regs ...(IMO)

·
Banned
399 Posts
Another vote for a mule. More intelligent than a horse. Has much more strength, endurance, and will eat just about anything.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Snope

The pics of the mule killing the mountain lion has been around for a long time. Looks good. It is all a fake. The lion was already dead.
My Bad, :surrender: I should of snoped it! In this case I a donkey is not much better!

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Odd how different areas call the same critter so many different names. :) Around here they are a Jack (male, cut or not) and Jennie/Jenny.

Also you need to know the difference between donkeys and mules. (A mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.)

Some folks around here don't get that ... :scratch

·
Registered
155 Posts
A Donkey male is a Jack
And I've often heard the geldings referred to as Johns.
A donkey female is a Jenny/Jennet
A Mule male is called a John.
A mule female is a Molly.
These are for the most part the "informal" generally accepted terms. However if you go but the "Formal" ADMS registry accepted terms it's much longer.
Jacks and Jennets are the same But
Gelded Donkeys ADMS calls them Gelding Donkeys
Male mules ADMS calls them Horse Mule
Female mules ADMS calls them Mare Mule.

My mom bred and raised both donkeys and mules for more than 15 years and I have in my back yard one of the mare mules (Molly) that My mom bred and raised.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Just remember to make sure that if the SHTF you'll be able to feed and care for the horses, mules, donkeys, or other animals you get.

Do you have pasture? Is it year-round? Can you shoe a horse? Remove the shoes if you have to? What about grain, if necessary? Etc., etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
YOu know most people who get any kind of livestock already know they will have to do these things even if the SHTF never happens.

Just remember to make sure that if the SHTF you'll be able to feed and care for the horses, mules, donkeys, or other animals you get.

Do you have pasture? Is it year-round? Can you shoe a horse? Remove the shoes if you have to? What about grain, if necessary? Etc., etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts