9-year-old + Man vs. Wild = survival

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by BlackPaladin, Jun 23, 2009.

1. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin Enforcer

TV show helps boy survive night solo in woods

By Elizabeth White
    Associated Press

POSTED: 02:50 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY: When he realized he'd been separated from his family on a weekend hike in a northern Utah forest, 9-year-old Grayson Wynne's thoughts turned to television.

Grayson watches Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel every week with his brothers and his dad. On the show, host and adventurer Bear Grylls strands himself in the wilderness and then shows viewers how to survive the sticky situations.

That's where Grayson says he learned to leave clues behind to help searchers find him.

On Saturday, when he was scared and alone in the Ashley National Forest, Grayson started tearing up his yellow rain slicker, despite the intermittent downpours, and tying pieces to trees.

''I just used my hands,'' said Grayson, who was found safe Sunday after spending 18 hours lost in the forest. ''I don't know how many times I tore the thing but quite a lot.''

Grayson was among a party of about 15 family members that left Saturday from the Spirit Lake trailhead in Daggett County. The group stopped to tighten a saddle on a horse at some point, said Grayson's dad, Kynan Wynne. But Grayson didn't realize it and went ahead of the pack before diverting onto a smaller trail in the thick forest.

Although Kynan Wynne was concerned for his son's safety, he was also confident in the boy's resilience.

''Somewhere he got the idea that for multiple reasons, not just for people to find you, but to retrace your steps if you have to, to leave a trail,'' Kynan Wynne said.

Grayson created a small shelter overnight under a fallen tree. The next day, he decided to follow a creek in hopes of finding help.

Pop the hood and read the heart-warming story:
    Ohio.com - TV show helps boy survive night solo in woods

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Very cool though I prefer Survivorman over Man vs. Wild in terms of teaching.

3. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Yeah... good thing he didn't jump headlong in the river and cling onto a long thinking that was the way to survive..... :rolleyes:

4. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I also prefer survivorman. I'm glad the kid was okay.

5. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I know. Half the stuff he does is stupid. Les actually shows legit ways to survive that you don't have to be a superhero to do. Bear is more of an entertainer.

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

not to mention an outright FRAUD... with that fiasco of staying at a luxury resort when he was supposed to be 'in the wild' :eek: :rolleyes:

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

He's a total fake. He did a whole episode where he was never more than 100 meters away from the road and his convoy of production vehicles.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP0_-7gbXbY&feature=fvw]YouTube - Man vs Wild: Faking it in Kilauea[/ame]

8. endurance

endurance Well-Known Member

Les is no doubt twice the survivor that Bear is, but this story makes a good point. The kid survived the night because he had confidence in his abilities to take care of himself and didn't panic. He made some mistakes, but he did what he had to do. He had the common sense to not try some of Bear's stunts.

That's why some of my favorite reading is great true adventure stories. They teach you about the limits of human endurance and how far you can push them. The Endurance, The Long Walk, Ice Masters, We Die Alone, Red Sky Mourning; they all have lessons in them on the bare essentials of survival and what luxuries we can survive without. While I don't see MvW as a good education, it worked to get the kid over the hump and down to the business of survival.

9. The_Blob

...yeah, it sounds corny, but I am GLAD that most introductory survival manuals generally start with chapters on maintaining your positive attitude and assessing any situation before acting

... it might be 'gimmicky' but maybe that kid can do one of those tandem survival shows with Les, showing that if you don't lose your head chances are much better for your survival

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I think an interesting show would be to take the people who experienced these actual events, let them explain what happened and their thoughts and feelings about what they were going through, then continue the experience with expanded training and further the scenario. :cool:

11. endurance

endurance Well-Known Member

There's a show coming up on the Discovery Channel that might be very well worth watching and on-topic called The Colony. If they do it as well as The Alaska Experiment: Out of the Wild, I think it will be immensely valuable. It they make it like Doing DiVinci or Expedition: Africa, where the drama between conflicting personalities, it's going to be worthless.

The Colony link

I'd suggest everyone tune in for the first episode and give it a shot. You just never know with Discovery Channel. It starts July 21.

12. The_Blob

beat me to it, endurance! :D

Les Stroud produces a show on cartoon network called Survive This, with a group of eight teenagers who are 'left on their own'... the episode I watched had Les come in in the morning & assign food-gathering tasks to groups of two, fishing, edible plants, insects, and frogs... idk enough about it to know if it is 'survivor'-based drama 'reality TV' or what tho... :rolleyes:

kids might like it tho

13. rf197

rf197 Trying to find a way

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know this show was going to be on.