Prepared Society Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excellent article that I have read several times over the last couple years and even attended a bible study based on the same assertions. Those deep seeded in the precepts of religiosity and denominational interpretations may have a hard time with it, but it is based clearly in scripture. As I say when I speak about casting off religion; the cell door was never locked and the shackles were never pinned, don't choose to be an inmate in a prison never meant for you. Set yourself free.

The 9 Lies of Religion

Truth v lie "I came into the world to testify to the truth," said Jesus. "Everyone on the side of truth listens to me" (John 18:37).

These are strong words. If Jesus put them on his Facebook page he'd get roasted. "Jesus, how dare you claim to have the inside track on truth? Why must we take sides? How ungracious. How divisive. What gives you the right? Who do you think you are?"

Jesus testified to the truth because only the truth can set you free. Religion, on the other hand, keeps you bound with half-truths, bent-truths, and damnable lies. By religion I mean the universal quest for self-improvement. I am talking about the religion of the snake who said, "Do this and you will be like God."

The lies of religion are contemptible because they throw doubt on the good news of Jesus and keep enslaved those whom Jesus loves. Here are nine of the most diabolical lies ever preached:

1. God is keeping score

"He's making a list and checking it twice. He's gonna find out who's naughty and nice." The picture of God as a bookkeeper is at odds with the one Jesus gives of God as the forgiving father. Religion says, "God is recording your sins on video-tape." But the good news declares, "Love keeps no record of wrongs" (1 Cor 13:5).

The gospel truth is that God is not recording your sins (2 Cor 5:19) and he does not treat us as our sins deserve (Psalm 103:10). "But didn't Jesus say he might blot our names from his book?" No, Jesus said he wouldn't blot our names. The only thing God promises to blot out are your sins (Is 43:25), and he did that already. Why? Because he loves us and wants us to come home.

2. God is mad at you

"Sure, God loves you but he's also mad at you. You have to balance his kindness with his sternness." It sounds Biblical, but it isn't. The Bible proclaims, "God is love" (1 John 4:16). Everything he does is an expression of his love for you. If the wrath of God scares you, then you have the wrong picture of wrath because there is no fear in love (1 John 4:18).

The gospel truth is that God was angry with your sins but he poured out all his wrath on the cross (Rom 8:3), and he is angry no more. As the hymn says, because of Jesus the wrath of God has been satisfied.

3. God is punishing you

"God scourges his children and burns the rest." How many people did Jesus scourge? How many people did Jesus punish? If it's not true of the Son, it's not true of the Father (Heb 1:3). The gospel truth is that God doesn't scourge his children, but he trains and instructs them as a father trains the son in whom he delights.

Religion wields the big stick of punishment to compel proper behavior, but the gospel truth is that in Christ you are eternally unpunishable! "The punishment that brought us peace was on him…" (Isa 53:5). As Spurgeon said: "How shall the Lord punish twice for one offense? If Christ took my sins and stood as my substitute, then there is no wrath of God for me."

4. God makes you sick to teach you things

"God gave you cancer to teach you character." No he didn't. God is certainly able to redeem our suffering, but he doesn't give us sickness in the first place.

Under the old covenant, people got sick as a consequence of breaking the law. Under the law, sickness and disease were considered curses (Deu 28:15-28). But Jesus has redeemed us from the curse of the law that we might live healthy and abundant lives.

Religion says God teaches us with sickness, but Jesus says he teaches us through the Word and the Holy Spirit. The gospel truth is that Jesus took sickness off people; he didn't give it to them.

Not good news

5. God gives and takes away

"Your baby died because God needed another angel in heaven. God took your job because you were enjoying it too much. Your car was stolen because it was an idol." Heed these damnable lies and you won't resist the thief when he comes to plunder you.

Religion loves to quote Job because the man was self-righteousness (Job 32:1-2), but he was also bitter (Job 27:2), and suicidal (Job 7:15) and spoke a lot of rubbish (Job 42:3). "Job is an ignoramus. He talks utter nonsense" (Job 34:35, MSG). Why listen to Job when you can listen to Jesus?

The gospel truth is that Jesus came so that you may have life to the full. God gives good gifts and he never takes them back (Rom 11:29).

6. God might reject you

"Unfruitful branches are broken off and cast into the fire. Consider the Jewish branches that were broken off on and be afraid!" Jesus never said God breaks off unfruitful branches and nor did Paul. "God did not reject his people…" (Rom. 11:2). The Jews broke themselves off through unbelief (Rom 11:20).

Religion says, "You have to get on fire for God, or Jesus will vomit you out." Not true. You are the body of Christ and Jesus doesn't vomit out body parts.

Religion says work hard and God may accept you, but the gospel truth is that in Christ you are 100% acceptable. Nothing can make you more or less pleasing to God than you already are.

7. God can be bought

"Grace is free but you have to prove you were worth it. God wants your service, your sacrifice, and your money." The endless appeals for sweat and coin are a hallmark of DIY religion. "Jesus died for you. What will you do for him?" It's an anti-Christ message that prostitutes the love of God by putting price-tags on the priceless.

A holy God cannot be bribed; your Father's love cannot be bought. You cannot pay for salvation, sanctification, or any of the blessings of God. But the gospel truth is that all the blessings of God are ours in Christ (Eph 1:3). We are not blessed because we give but because he gives.

8. God can't be trusted

"You have to maintain your place in the kingdom by bearing fruit, pursuing holiness, and being a productive Christian." Nothing will kill your faith faster than the lie that says, "It all depends on you." This is serpent theology: "If you fast, pray, give, and do a hundred other things, you'll claw your way into the throne room. You'll be a self-made god."

The gospel truth is that you are saved by grace and kept by grace. You can trust Jesus that the good work he began in you he will carry on unto completion (Php 1:6). You don't stand on your promises to God, but on his awesome promises to you.

9. God doesn't really love you

An angry God that keeps score, punishes you with hardships, makes you sick, and threatens to cast you aside, is not a God of love. He's an idol made in our own fallen image, a perversion that reveals our fear and insecurity. Remove the religious mask and you will find it is Satan who is constantly accusing you and finding fault with you.

The God that Jesus revealed is nothing like this! "God is your Father in heaven who loves you and holds nothing against you! God doesn't want to crush you, he wants to hug you and hold you and rejoice over you with singing, for you are the apple of his eye!

The gospel truth is that God loves you unconditionally, no strings attached. He doesn't love you because you did good or kept the rules. He loves you because he is your Father. Period. Amen. The end.

What if I have bought into these lies?

Listen to the damnable lies of religion and you will bear the bad fruit of fear and doubt. You will lose your peace, joy, and freedom and end up anxious, insecure, and fallen from grace.

What's the remedy?

Jesus said those who love truth recognize his voice. So fix your eyes on Jesus, get settled in his love, and let nothing move you. Remain in your Father's embrace and you will never be seduced by the lies of dead religion.
https://escapetoreality.org/2015/04/01/the-9-lies-of-religion/

·
Winston Smith Sent Me
4,996 Posts
Methinks there are far more than 9 lies in organized religion. Probably not a popular comment around here but I think organized religion is just another example of people taking a good thought and screwing it up to serve their own ends. Which seems to be the purpose of all 9 of those lies.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Methinks there are far more than 9 lies in organized religion. Probably not a popular comment around here but I think organized religion is just another example of people taking a good thought and screwing it up to serve their own ends. Which seems to be the purpose of all 9 of those lies.
The word religion no longer has any meaning. It has been perverted like the word tolerance to the point that people use do not even understand what it is or what it means.

A good friend of mine is an Atheist and as he reports it "a recovering Catholic". We have had 100 conversation about Christianity and no matter what I say, what scripture I quote or how I present it; he simply cannot differentiate between Catholicism and Christianity. Even when he accepts some aspect of that it only lasts a few minutes and he returns to discussing organizational religion as being Christianity. All of his arguments against faith have nothing to with God or the bible, they are all based in his experiences with man and a man-made organization.

If you know and understand the word of God you know that Christianity rejects such ideology. Proverbs 5:23 says "...he will be lost because of his great foolishness." Proverbs 10:21 says "The words of the godly encourage many, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense." And Hosea 4:6 says "My people are being destroyed because they don't know me. Since you priests refuse to know me, I refuse to recognize you as my priests. Since you have forgotten the laws of your God, I will forget to bless your children." [And for those who do not know, the word law in that passage is the Hebrew word "yarah" which in that context means teachings or instruction, not commandments.]

Read those 3 verses and look around at our world. I see a lot great foolishness, I see a lot of lack when it comes to common sense and I see a lot of children not being blessed in the world today. The bible never fails to reveal the truth.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Thank you for posting this thread, knowing your stance about faith, it means a lot, I have always believed that most "organized churches" drove more people from faith than it drew to it.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for posting this thread, knowing your stance about faith, it means a lot, I have always believed that most "organized churches" drove more people from faith than it drew to it.
I agree. Religion usually closes doors and turns people away.

I was raised in a strict Lutheran church until I turned 17. Never really learned anything about scripture or Jesus but I was told that it was ALL about me, my behavior, my failures and my faults. God loved me one minutes and was ashamed of me the next. I never stepped in a church outside of Christmas, Easter, weddings and funerals for the next 10+ years. I certainly did not need to be reminded that I wasn't perfec. Then I found my wife and we found a church that focused solely on Christ and the Word. No religiosity, no membership, no man made rules, no guilt, no shame, no condemnation and no pomp & circumstance. Services are more like going to a class at a seminary. Two of the Pastors wear pistols and often times a Hawaiian shirt. Congregation varies from suits & ties to dirty clothes worn for morning chores on the farm and everything in between. There I learned it wasn't about me at all and hasn't been since the Cross. I learned that Mosaic law was over and we were living in a new covenant. And I learned that the goal of Christianity is not to get into heaven but to be blessed on this earth. I learned that we are redeemed, justified and sanctified not by what we do, say or think by as a gift from God. At that point the veil was lifted and the glory was revealed. I don't run around telling people I am a Christian, I let people see my life and when they ask me why we are so care-free, happy and blessed I tell them that we simply believe in the Son of God and we receive our inheritance. That has brought more people to faith than religion ever has.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone you are interested and like to read, Andrew Farley has two excellent books out that touch on this topic. The first one is God without Religion and the second is called the Naked Gospel. I have read them both more than once. Amazing stuff.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That's how i feel. And it really pisses me off when someone suggest that im not complete without god in my life. Not saying anyone said that. This isn't a blast to anyone on here either but in my life the mist religious people i know are the biggest scum bags too, hiding behind god. The more religious a person is the farther i stay away from them. But not Sentry, i think you guys almost have to be religious because i don't know how else you could deal with what you guys do and see.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's how i feel. And it really pisses me off when someone suggest that im not complete without god in my life. Not saying anyone said that. This isn't a blast to anyone on here either but in my life the mist religious people i know are the biggest scum bags too, hiding behind god. The more religious a person is the farther i stay away from them. But not Sentry, i think you guys almost have to be religious because i don't know how else you could deal with what you guys do and see.
A Christian who is a Christian in their heart (and not just their head) has an overwhelming sense of peace and joy in their lives and they want so much for you to have it too. I use the analogy that finding JC is like roaming through the desert your whole life having little sips of dirty water and chewing on dead lizards. Then suddenly someone rolls up with an an air conditioned RV offering you respite from the heat, a fresh glass of ice water and a bowl of homemade ice cream. And all you have to do is receive it, no strings attached. It's hard to have such blessings and not run around telling everyone and inviting them to enjoy it too. Most of the time it comes from a good place and is not meant to cause you disdain.

And you are right, many people who are religious are scumbags and some are downright pieces of ****. The worst of humanity hides behind religion in many forms, including pedophile priests and greedy ministers who fleece their flocks. Of course we know (and scripture tells us) that all people are imperfect. Which is why we do not put our faith in man. We do not look at the actions of those who have fallen from grace to determine the value of faith. We look to those who live up to what they have obtained. God does not care if you sit in the front row in your best clothes acting holier than though or if you slap on leather chaps, climb aboard a Harley and head out for parts unknown on Sunday morning. To Him we are all the same, we are all perfect, we are all pleasing and He has a plan for each of us. And that plan is rooted in hope and happiness. But not everyone receives His love or His blessings, even people who go to church every week and preach His word to others.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A Christian who is a Christian in their heart (and not just their head) has an overwhelming sense of peace and joy in their lives and they want so much for you to have it too. I use the analogy that finding JC is like roaming through the desert your whole life having little sips of dirty water and chewing on dead lizards. Then suddenly someone rolls up with an an air conditioned RV offering you respite from the heat, a fresh glass of ice water and a bowl of homemade ice cream. And all you have to do is receive it, no strings attached. It's hard to have such blessings and not run around telling everyone and inviting them to enjoy it too. Most of the time it comes from a good place and is not meant to cause you disdain.

And you are right, many people who are religious are scumbags and some are downright pieces of ****. The worst of humanity hides behind religion in many forms, including pedophile priests and greedy ministers who fleece their flocks. Of course we know (and scripture tells us) that all people are imperfect. Which is why we do not put our faith in man. We do not look at the actions of those who have fallen from grace to determine the value of faith. We look to those who live up to what they have obtained. God does not care if you sit in the front row in your best clothes acting holier than though or if you slap on leather chaps, climb aboard a Harley and head out for parts unknown on Sunday morning. To Him we are all the same, we are all perfect, we are all pleasing and He has a plan for each of us. And that plan is rooted in hope and happiness. But not everyone receives His love or His blessings, even people who go to church every week and preach His word to others.
The difference is you believe the lord gives you that piece and joy, i believe i have that same joy and peace, i get it from my wife and daughter. By the way it's nice talking about it, i think it's hard to see each others point if view sometimes. What ended it for me was in school we learned about greek mythology and native American myths. It bothered me they said they were myths. Real people, real civilizations believed with every bone in their bodies. Same as today with the religions they say are real. Then all the history i have read shows religion being used for control and to wage wars. Really we are both believers, you in the lord and me in nature, well nature and little green men.

·
Banned
595 Posts
In front of you is a 55 gallon drum full of marbles of varying size. You know with absolute certainty that there is either an even or an odd number of marbles in that drum, but at the same time you cannot say with any certainty whether the number is even or odd because you cannot count the marbles.

That's me with whether or not God exists: I know He either does or does not exist.

The Scientific Method says to take an hypothesis and test it until you break it. If you can't break it, then it becomes a theory. Then, others try to break it. If they can't, then it remains a theory or becomes a fact. The purpose behind this effort is to dispassionately prove or disprove that an idea is sound.

I'm looking for evidence that God exists that can't be explained away.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In front of you is a 55 gallon drum full of marbles of varying size. You know with absolute certainty that there is either an even or an odd number of marbles in that drum, but at the same time you cannot say with any certainty whether the number is even or odd because you cannot count the marbles.

That's me with whether or not God exists: I know He either does or does not exist.

The Scientific Method says to take an hypothesis and test it until you break it. If you can't break it, then it becomes a theory. Then, others try to break it. If they can't, then it remains a theory or becomes a fact. The purpose behind this effort is to dispassionately prove or disprove that an idea is sound.

I'm looking for evidence that God exists that can't be explained away.
"I may say that the impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wondrous universe, with our conscious selves, arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for the existence of God; but whether this is an argument of real value, I have never been able to decide. I am aware that if we admit a first cause, the mind still craves to know whence it came and how it arose. Nor can I overlook the difficulty from the immense amount of suffering through the world. I am, also, induced to defer to a certain extent to the judgment of the many able men who have fully believed in God; but here again I see how poor an argument this is. The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect; but man can do his duty." - Charles Darwin 1873

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the Mysterious - the knowledge of the existence of something unfathomable to us, the manifestation of the most profound reason coupled with the most brilliant beauty. I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, or who has a will of the kind we experience in ourselves. I am satisfied with the mystery of life's eternity and with the awareness of - and glimpse into - the marvelous construction of the existing world together with the steadfast determination to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature. This is the basics of cosmic religiosity, and it appears to me that the most important function of art and science is to awaken this feeling among the receptive and keep it alive." - Albert Einstein 1954

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am one of those who wants to know who created god.
No one made God. He had no beginning, and will have no ending. He is the eternal spirit, a self-existing Being. He is without time, has always existed and will always exist. He is the Aleph and the Tav. His existence is beyond the scope of man and his incomprehensibility is declared in scripture. One can no more understand the totality or even the essence of God than they can understand how the utter improbable and perhaps impossible formulation of life that came to be on this planet... without intervention.

·
Registered
0 Posts
No one made God. He had no beginning, and will have no ending. He is the eternal spirit, a self-existing Being. He is without time, has always existed and will always exist. He is the Aleph and the Tav. His existence is beyond the scope of man and his incomprehensibility is declared in scripture. One can no more understand the totality or even the essence of God than they can understand how the utter improbable and perhaps impossible formulation of life that came to be on this planet... without intervention.
Or his name is Jeff and he lives two galaxies away with the rest of the green men. :D If i was going to be religious i would choose to see it the way you do. Your version of religion is a lot better than most!

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or his name is Jeff and he lives two galaxies away with the rest of the green men. :D If i was going to be religious i would choose to see it the way you do. Your version of religion is a lot better than most!
And that's the whole point! :)

I don't have any religion, I just have the Word as it is written not how some organization wants it presented so us commoners can be kept in line.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
BKT...at some time in your life you may see proof of God. Then that will be all you'll need.
Organized religion, maybe not so much.

·
Registered
187 Posts
And that's the whole point! :)

I don't have any religion, I just have the Word as it is written not how some organization wants it presented so us commoners can be kept in line.
Unfortunately the word has been written / translated by men. (Humans)

I have seen too many things that make me think that a just God would not allow things to be the way they are. Children dying. Children being punished for the acts of their parents? Children with cancer. The list could go on. If the "God" I am instructed to believe in is so cruel to such innocents then why would I want to "worship" a being that "welcomes" us to heaven? We supposedly go to heaven to worship our creator yet this same creator allows such depravity here on earth.

I pray. I pray for those that suffer. I pray for those that cannot protect themselves. I pray for humanity. I believe there is a supreme being out there. I am just not sure what I I'll find when I pass from this existence to the last.

Faith, I suppose, is all we have at this point. I want to believe and understand but for me I have more questions than answers. Sentry, I accept you are a man of faith and there is nothing wrong with that. I am just not sure that I agree with all of that at this point.

BKT...at some time in your life you may see proof of God. Then that will be all you'll need.
Organized religion, maybe not so much.
I have seen some strange and wonderful things Amish but nothing that has convinced me it is divine intervention at this point. I hope I do some day.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately the word has been written / translated by men. (Humans)

I have seen too many things that make me think that a just God would not allow things to be the way they are. Children dying. Children being punished for the acts of their parents? Children with cancer. The list could go on. If the "God" I am instructed to believe in is so cruel to such innocents then why would I want to "worship" a being that "welcomes" us to heaven? We supposedly go to heaven to worship our creator yet this same creator allows such depravity here on earth.

I pray. I pray for those that suffer. I pray for those that cannot protect themselves. I pray for humanity. I believe there is a supreme being out there. I am just not sure what I I'll find when I pass from this existence to the last.

Faith, I suppose, is all we have at this point. I want to believe and understand but for me I have more questions than answers. Sentry, I accept you are a man of faith and there is nothing wrong with that. I am just not sure that I agree with all of that at this point.

I have seen some strange and wonderful things Amish but nothing that has convinced me it is divine intervention at this point. I hope I do some day.
The scripture is pure as it is written. Every translation has glory because the Word is guided by God and not by man, even if man puts it to paper. But it's not enough to read the words and rely on your own understanding of it. We are imperfect beings with imperfect thoughts who live with veiled eyes, hearts and minds. It is only through the investigation of the Word that the truth is revealed. And once the truth is revealed your appetite for more biblical knowledge magnifies exponentially. I liken the desire for faith to going to a movie while wearing foam earplugs, a dirty gas mask and riot helmet, sitting in the back row with two people sitting beside you talking nonstop and constantly having people stand up in the rows in front of you and throw popcorn at you. You have to tune out the noise, you have to ignore the distraction, you have focus on what is being laid out before you and you have to strain to see the light. But as you do the image on the screen becomes more and more clear, as those who would deny you this understanding fade into irrelevance.

If you believe the God of the new covenant is cruel than you do not know God and (most likely) you have been misinformed. God is not the ruler of this world Satan is. We gave that up in the Garden when we ate from the tree, the one and only requirement placed on us during the covenant of Adam. We then told God we could be perfect and keep his laws. He knew better. But even then He gave us the covenant of Moses (or the Law) so we could be saved. We failed again. He then devised a new covenant, the covenant of the Cross so we could receive the gift of salvation and righteousness. So we could have the propitiation of sin and be reconciled to God. So the covenant of Death (the Law) could come to a close, as the covenant of Adam came to a close in the Garden. We now live in that new covenant if we choose to believe and receive. We are co-heirs with Christ and the world is ours if we choose it to be. There is no judgment and your identity in Christ is one of hope. God no longer brings rath or death or destruction. Good is good, all the time. If it is not good, it is not God.

And I assure you, I can provide you the scripture for each and every assertion I have made in this post. If one reports to be a man (or woman) of God, the he must be able to defend his faith.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very good description Sentry. I agree with you somewhat but still have issue with accepting that even if this world is controlled by evil that the Lord Lord cant intervene. I know that scripture can be used to back up any statement. Maybe being due to human failure I still cannot seem to accept many things of this nature. It is possible the reason I am still part of this planet and society is because I have not learned what I need to to progress to the next level. "Good die young and all that". I learn every day so eventually maybe I will be led in the right path or see it myself and follow. I dont think I have had enough coffee this morning to effectively discuss any more intelligently at this point.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.