5 gallon water jugs, any use for them?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lilmissy0740, Jun 25, 2013.

1. lilmissy0740

lilmissy0740 Well-Known Member

I was given a bunch of water jugs for a water cooler. Any ideas on what to use them for?

2. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

You can store water in them.

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

They make great fermenters!

4. cnsper

cnsper Well-Known Member

coin collecting

5. cowboyhermit

cowboyhermit Supporting Member

Me and OldCootHillbilly think alike on this one:D although I would say they only make "good" fermenters because they are permeable to some degree:cheers:

6. pandamonium

pandamonium 180 OUT

Store dry goods, rice, beans and such. Make sure can seal the opening well.

7. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

Well its already been stated, but the obvious use is to, well, store water. I keep them around empty because I dont see a way to actually seal them except with wax, but they should come in handy when needed. I got some with the built in handle, cause if it goes down, I'll have to hump water from the nearby (1/4 mi) lake.

Please explain? I got a gallon glass jug that Ive used for fermenting veggies and experimenting with someones (I think Davarm?) bread beer, but I dont think I'd use plastic. What are yall fermenting in em?

8. cowboyhermit

cowboyhermit Supporting Member

Well I was talking about beer/wine/mead:D Plastic is fine for the primary fermentation, though I much prefer glass carboys or wood barrels, most homebrewers use a pail as a primary fermenter these days.

9. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Ditto:beercheer::cheers:

10. Jimthewagontraveler

Jimthewagontraveler Well-Known Member

No they are useless pm me so i can give you my address and I will dispose of them in a ecologically safe manner
    so that the earth will be clean and beautiful where you live.

11. Jimthewagontraveler

Jimthewagontraveler Well-Known Member

For a very small fee.
    This is a limited time offer.
    Not availible in any store

12. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Seals.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=SCREW+WATER+COOLER+BOTTLE+CAPS+2+3+5+GALLON+TOPS+

13. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Use them for water

If it were me, I would fill the jugs with water and cap them.

I recently scored a free water cooler from craigslist and now would like to score some 5 gallon jugs for water. I have one that my daughter used for coins that I recently cleaned out and filled. I have saran wrap and a rubber band for a temporary. Heavy to move around at 40 pounds, but the cooler (not necessarily used as a cooler, more as a dispenser) will make a nice way to access the 5 gallon jugs. So far I haven't found a decent deal on the jugs, but craigslist has been good to me many times, so I will keep trolling it. I'll keep watching. I am also glad for the link for the caps. Thank you readytogo!

14. lilmissy0740

lilmissy0740 Well-Known Member

Thanks. To ferment or not??. Hmmmm
    Weedy garden if you lived close I would be more than glad to give you some.

15. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

The used ones I get for free are never clean enough inside for me to trust them for potable water.

So, I take them back to the store and exchange them for new, filled, and sealed bottles - and they stay sealed.

16. extexanwannabe

extexanwannabe Newbie

I'd be happy to take them off your hands...

17. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Going west?

Thank you! I thought of that, but I have no trips planned going east to be able to pick them up. I am wondering if someone might be heading west between you and me and could bring me some! You never know! I literally live just 2 miles off of I-70 if anyone would possibly be making a westward trip from the east in the future and would be willing to bring some.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  18. Kodeman

Kodeman Kodeman

I would only use plastic in an emergency as it has a tendency to affect the taste.

19. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

I get that from HDPE containers, but not from PET

20. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

lilmissy,

Hmmm, I live close. ;)

Take about 8 of them, seal the top, strap a piece of plywood to the top and cruise down the Allegheny, Mon or Ohio. You're a month late for the Regatta.