Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone else ever made what I call '3rd-world sandals'?... basically flip-flops made from old tires

I'm not ashamed to admit that even though we're not so poor that I have to make them anymore, I still like them because they are nearly indestructible

cut two foot-shaped/sized pieces from the tread part & make the straps from pieces of the sidewalls, punch your holes, tie your straps (I then melt mine underneath & press them to the concrete so that I don't feel like I'm walking on a pebble)

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Great idea, we use to get these in Tijuana, Mex, they are called Huarache sandals, made from non-steel belted tires, I wore them until my feet wore out, the sandals never did.
They were all the style when we use to surf and spend time on the coast in Mexico, I won't go down there anymore now for obvious reasons, even to pick up prescription drugs cheap and without a Doctors written prescription.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been looking for some non steel belted tires to make a pair out of. I've got dozens of tires on the place, surrounding fruit trees, to protect them from mowing. Alas, every tire here is steel...

Next time I have a flat needing repairing, I'll search thru the junk pile of tires for a nylon belted one. From what I've read, it's difficult to make em out of steel belted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts