39, married 6 daughters 1 boy. wife and dog, calgary ab. canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by badbudda, Nov 18, 2009.

1. badbudda

badbudda Guest

good morning to everyone.
    from calgary, and stumbled onto yer site yesterday.
    i have been worried about the down turn of life fo a few years. and have slowly gotten my gurls into the life style. (three live with mom 30 min walk away.) my gurls and i have taken rifle courses. all of us are lic, and shoot weekly as a sporting event. my second youngest has gotten her restricted firearms cert. last month. my kids all call it the war chest. the storing of food, water and ammo.
    my gurls have a 1 week safty supply of food at their house, also all with BOB.
    they have even stocked up so mom can come too.
    at my place, i am set to be on my own for 6 months now. food water and the likes. Saftey plan, the gurls stay put for one week, then make thier way to my place.
    i also have a 2 car garage, that is set up, with enuff to last 12 months.
    we have also gotten a cargo container 55ft. out at the cottage. (lump of land with nuttin there. it is only 2 arces. that is our project for next year.
    i will be happy once we are to the point of 2 yrs plus living on or own.
    but as the kids grow, so do the numbers. bfriends and or husbands.
    once of cure is better than a pound of misery.
    hope to hear from some of you.
    badbudda

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Welcome to our site .. :beercheer:

Go for beers sometime? :cool:

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, from another newbie, look forward to your comments and posts

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome :wave:

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome. What is it with people from Calgary having such big families? Nothing good on night time TV? :)

6. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

That one brought a smile on my face ! :)

And welcome Badbubba, I hope you will enjoy it here!

greetz,

V.

7. NaeKid

If you are not into winter-sports that take up lots of time (ski, snow-mobile, snow-shoe, skate, luge, etc) there isn't much to do during the long cold nights - other than to cuddle :sssh:

8. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! Canadians seem to be into prepping as a whole. Why do you guys think that is? Naekid cuddling doesn't make babies. But that's best discussed over pm's.

9. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Seriously? My parents lied to me then !!! :eek:

lol

V.

10. Jason

I was plucked from a cabbage patch.

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well you two let me know when you figure it out. If you need help pm me.

12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Must be all the cold weather up there, just can't get out of bed.:kiss::kiss:Bunker Bob may be a newbie, but he is more prepared than most of us. Welcome aboard, Sailaway.:2thumb:

13. NaeKid

BunkerBob might think he is a newbie - but I think that he has just about become part of the wallpaper with his time here :sssh:

14. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I guess I'm not a newbie to my hobby, p r e p a r d n e s s, but that what comes with age. As you all may know or not I didn't participate in forums at all until now, that's why I say newbie. Most forums are way to extreme and have agendas that really scare me sometimes, here it seems most are level headed and are in the same state of mind as I am. I like to share my ideas and experiences, sooo many, sometimes it amazes even me, but, again I don't want to sound like I'm bragging.
    I'm presently do some research into CO2 scubbers using Sofnolime(from underwater re breather systems) and pelletized carbon. These would be important in a sealed shelter situation. What I can gather that Air contains about .04% CO2 and the normal adult exhales about 5.7% CO2.
    3000ppm would be a minimum accumulation
    5000ppm could cause discomfort an or headache
    50000ppm could cause intoxication
    70000ppm-100000ppm could cause loss of consciousness

1 kilo grams or 4 cups of Sofnolime absorb about 144 liters of CO2

Reaction of Sofnolime is as follows:
    CO2+H2O----H2 CO3
    H2 CO3+2 NaOH----Na2 CO3 + 2 H2O
    Na2 CO2 + Ca(OH)2----CaCO3 + 2NaOH
    Thus changing CO2 into carbonic acid then neutralizing it.
    The Sofnolime changes from white to a bluish purple color when saturated.

The pelletized carbon will absorb a plethory of toxins and gases.
    The canister, which holds 4 cups of Sofnolime and 2 cups of carbon, is clear acrylic which will enable visual indicators when new one is needed. It also can be readily opened to refresh the contents.
    I'll take some photos when completed.

Is there anyone who could add to or make suggestions, much appreciated.

I probably should have started a new thread for this...sorry for rambling. I just came up from the shelter project, been laying in rebar for the concrete pour, it will need many more for the large steel door support. Never a dull moment.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  15. Jason

Naekid, I agree with your thoughts on Bob. I'm all happy because we went to Sam's club on a run today, and he's laying rebar and scrubbing the air inside a blast proof bunker.

Bob, you're no newbie, either to prepping or to this forum. :)