Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall before cutting hay for the last time I spent a day working on the baler. Dad worked on the hydraulics in the old Ford 2000, replaced some O-rings. He pulls the wheel rake with the Ford. Anyway when we started baling dad had trouble with the hydraulic lift. He had to move the lever past the stop to get it to lift at all.

Today in preparation of this years hay season I took the hydraulics out of the ford. Lucky break, it was just the linkage, badly out of adjustment. An hour of re-adjustment and re-assembly and it was good to go! I like those easy fixes. :D

Note to self... next time check linkage before re=assembly!

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
Hydraulics are like computers, they're great until they stop working. Then they turn just plain frustrating sometimes.

Glad your's was a relatively easy fix there, Cotton!:2thumb:

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
All of those "8N -9N" based-platform tractors have VERY easy to service hydraulic systems, as you can se here!

International & Massey are not too much worse, but I hate Deere hydraulics with a passion. They try to "crutch" issues with priority valves - bad idea.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
I hate Deere hydraulics with a passion. They try to "crutch" issues with priority valves - bad idea.
But they have such pretty green paint! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fords are easy to work on but the hydraulics are a bit heavy. I use a come-along to lift them then roll the tractor out of the way.

Color, my preference is orange… AC :D

Its what I learned to drive when a little fellow!

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Color, my preference is orange… AC :D
Its what I learned to drive when a little fellow!
Me too - we had a Allis "C".
I liked it because it was the smallest tractor we had, but it was a P.O.S.
Had to do something to it every time we wanted to use it.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh! but it was easy to work on! :D As was all the tractors of that era!

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
I'll tell off on myself here...

My current tractor is a Chinese import that I've had for over 20 years now, and while it's not fancy or American made, it's the best tractor I've ever owned. It's simple to work on, which has been rarely unless I tear it up. I've had a few tractors over the years, and this one has been the most trouble free of the bunch.

The best part is I paid $3200 for it new, with a 16 ft trailer, 4 ft bush hog, and box blade. I've got my money's worth out of it, even if it dies tomorrow.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
All brands have their special problems, Deeres euro and world tractors have a pile of issues, "real"(waterloo) deeres have decent hydraulics, The ford N series are hard to beat for small simple tractors, but they are fuel hogs compared to Deere and IH of the era.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
One of our mechanics was working on a JD backhoe one day and I walked by him and said "Nothing runs like a Deere, except maybe a Hitachi or Volvo" and he got a good laugh out of that one.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
My current tractor is a Chinese import that I've had for over 20 years now, and while it's not fancy or American made, it's the best tractor I've ever owned. I've got my money's worth out of it, even if it dies tomorrow.
Is it a Jinma? 284? 384?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts