Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Members of Orlando Food Not Bombs were arrested Wednesday when police said they violated a city ordinance by feeding the homeless in Lake Eola Park.

Jessica Cross, 24, Benjamin Markeson, 49, and Jonathan "Keith" McHenry, 54, were arrested at 6:10 p.m. on a charge of violating the ordinance restricting group feedings in public parks. McHenry is a co-founder of the international Food Not Bombs movement, which began in the early 1980s.

The group lost a court battle in April, clearing the way for the city to enforce the ordinance. It requires groups to obtain a permit and limits each group to two permits per year for each park within a 2-mile radius of City Hall.

Arrest papers state that Cross, Markeson and McHenry helped feed 40 people Wednesday night. The ordinance applies to feedings of more than 25 people.

"They intentionally violated the statute," said Lt. Barbara Jones, an Orlando police spokeswoman.

Police waited until everyone was served to make the arrests, said Douglas Coleman, speaking for Orlando Food Not Bombs.

"They basically carted them off to jail for feeding hungry people," said Coleman, who was not present. "For them to regulate a time and place for free speech and to share food, that is unacceptable."

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
pretty simple, make each 'member' a different 'charter' & tell them to limit to 24 people each, thereby getting more people involved, getting publicity, not breaking any BS laws, NOT putting $$$ into a corrupt organization that maintains such BS legislation for permit fees...

buy vendor carts make 'tokens' that are 'good for 1 ______' redeemable at carts, distribute tokens to homeless, maybe also sell tokens to non-homeless people that want to get food to fund operation

not everything has to be a colossal pissing contest with govt, but they sure do try to make it that way :rolleyes:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pretty simple, make each 'member' a different 'charter' & tell them to limit to 24 people each, thereby getting more people involved, getting publicity, not breaking any BS laws, NOT putting $$$ into a corrupt organization that maintains such BS legislation for permit fees...

buy vendor carts make 'tokens' that are 'good for 1 ______' redeemable at carts, distribute tokens to homeless, maybe also sell tokens to non-homeless people that want to get food to fund operation

not everything has to be a colossal pissing contest with govt, but they sure do try to make it that way :rolleyes:
They do this in Portland, Oregon too. I've seen them arrest people for the same thing. Then the next day there's a protest. Then the people get released...same ol' bullsh*t.
Same town built a $47 million dollar building that opened THIS WEEK and the homeless can stay there. They even encourage drug use there so they won't do it in the streets...

·
Registered
418 Posts

No kidding ... If somebody had just stopped and thought about it a minute (on either side) ... but it seems that folks nowadays think that the only way to draw attention to their cause these days is to make a scene of some sort ... what's that saying ... bad publicity is still publicity or some such nonsense ...

We have a real problem with panhandlers here. It is not unusual to see a person on every "grassy part" of an intersection. They will congregate at the most lucrative intersections and actually have turf wars over spots. There are some intersections here in town I avoid like the plague because the panhandlers are so aggressive ...

I'm all for helping those in need but can see both sides of the fence here.

·
New here
137 Posts
No kidding ... If somebody had just stopped and thought about it a minute (on either side) ... but it seems that folks nowadays think that the only way to draw attention to their cause these days is to make a scene of some sort ... what's that saying ... bad publicity is still publicity or some such nonsense ...

We have a real problem with panhandlers here. It is not unusual to see a person on every "grassy part" of an intersection. They will congregate at the most lucrative intersections and actually have turf wars over spots. There are some intersections here in town I avoid like the plague because the panhandlers are so aggressive ...

I'm all for helping those in need but can see both sides of the fence here.
Yep, I agree. As a police officer, I have to give kudos to the officers allowing all of the homeless to be fed before making the arrest. I would just about bet that there was a suit from the city gov't present or they were drawing a crowd for the officers to even fool with them.

I don't even know all of the city ordinances where I work and that's fine with me. The magistrate claims that there's a book with them in it in our office, but the chief doesn't know anything about it and has been there for nearly 20 years. We can't enforce what we don't have a copy of. It's too bad the court upheld their ordinance IMHO.

I don't fault the officers, but the mayor and city council for passing the idiotic ordinance in the first place. Do they really think they've done a good thing? It doesn't seem to have stopped homeless people from gathering in the park. Maybe they should go to another park that's further than 2 miles from city hall (if there is one), then a group could feed as many people at a time they wanted to. If there was one I'd offer to shuttle 3 at a time to it as a public service. :cool:

I know the city's zoning laws are all jacked up, but I don't have to enforce them the city hired a female with a bad attitude to enforce them, called "The Sign Nazi" by nearly everyone in town, including the whole PD.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
In Tucson we have a major problem with the homeless. Unless you live in a city where the homeless are a problem then 'feeding the homeless' sounds like a great idea. Actually, its kinda like feeding the bears and isnt usually a good idea.

I dont have anything against someone that wants to live that kind of lifestyle and enjoy the freedom that comes with it but dont squat in our parks and leave your trash and needles everywhere then beg me for assistance of any kind.

The fact is that most of the homeless are a blight on the neighborhoods, towns and cities in which they live. They only take from society and dont give. There are exceptions and there are those that have mental issues that need to be taken care of but I believe the vast majority dont fit that mold.

My 2 cents.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I wonder if the police gave them any friendly warning, citizen to citizen, telling them after feeding 24 poor starving Americans they were going to be arrested for feeding one more.
I absolutely do fault the officers. I assume they did not have to arrest anyone, unless there in fact was some kind of suit there telling them to.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if the police gave them any friendly warning, citizen to citizen, telling them after feeding 24 poor starving Americans they were going to be arrested for feeding one more.
I absolutely do fault the officers. I assume they did not have to arrest anyone, unless there in fact was some kind of suit there telling them to.
I fault almost all police officers anymore...it's all a NWO agenda. I didn't used to believe int he NWO nonsense. Now I believe it all. We're all living in nanny and police states. We need to rise up and fight it!

·
New here
137 Posts
I fault almost all police officers anymore...it's all a NWO agenda. I didn't used to believe int he NWO nonsense. Now I believe it all. We're all living in nanny and police states. We need to rise up and fight it!
Oh and I guess that's why so many of the officers I know are against so many of the same things you are, including me? Have you never heard of Cops Against the New World Order or The Oathkeepers?

When an officer, or soldier is given a LAWFUL order (this one was lawful as ruled by a court of law, we aren't at liberty to argue with the courts or the folks who pay our salary) we have an obligation to enforce it. if it's just me and a violator without anyone else around, I have the option of issuing a ticket (or making an arrest if it's a serious enough offense) or giving them a verbal warning hoping that it does some good. i'm talking about traffic offenses and misdemeanors here, obviously not felony offenses). I also don't have that option when I'm called to a scene where someone is violating the law in front of others and one or more of them called the police.

Given this situation, there seemed to have been a crowd drawn and I'll bet you my pay check that someone there called the police. A crowd always changes things. as someone else suggested earlier, they wrote their ordinance in a way that a group can still feed the homeless, they just have to go about it the right way.

I haven't and won't enforce an unlawful or unconstitutional order as long as I wear a badge. I swore an oath before God Almighty not to, but in another part of the same oath I swore to faithfully enforce the laws of the State of Alabama and the town I work for. I can't speak for others, but that oath means something to me and I mean to keep it.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Whether it's disagreeing about marijuana or some other substance being illegal, a speed limit or a city ordinance like this. Don't blame the officers who're charged to enforce those laws, blame the people who passed them, that a majority of the people who actually vote put into office. Do you vote? If so, good, if not you have no right to gripe. Do you let your representatives know your opinion? Do you ask others to get involved by signing petitions or communicating with their elected representatives in order to bring about a change in the direction you'd like?

As I already stated in previous post in this thread and others, yeah, there are some overbearing cops out there and i'd like to see them gone, how dare attempt to lump us all together. If we live in such a police state why don't you move? The only question is where would you go? Like it or not the Us is the last bastion of freedom on the globe. I agree with you that too many legislators and some progressive activist judges have eroded many of our freedoms, but as I've heard all of my life, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Yes, i do believe there are great cops out there. However, more and more I see "rogue cops" doing harm to people and it's caught on camera.
I don't know if it's the media searching for this everyday that they have something to portray police as or what. I completely agree that the lawmakers are idiots and some are just as corrupt.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I have a few cops in my family ... and more times than not I will back them. They are just following orders...

If one does not like the law ... well, we the people need to change it... but now a days that is ... well, not so easy. :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
**sigh** I'm gonna leave this thread now before I say something that will get me banned. :mad:

To all the LEO and military on this board, please know that not everyone thinks you are worse than the scum you deal with day in and day out.

You guys and gals stay safe out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts