25 KW generator

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by cowboybart, May 28, 2010.

1. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

I'm new here but can provide references from other forums.

I'm selling a large 25KW Westinghouse single phase generator. 4 cyl LeROI industrial engine. Propane fired. 1004 hours. New head gasket. 9.5’ long x 3’ wide x 5.5’ high. Approx 6000lbs $5000

I am located in NW WY approx 40 N of Cody and 80 miles S of Billings.

Trades toward Back hoe, articulated loader, excavator or gun stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

How in the heck would I tow this Bad Boy back to Miami with my Harley? :dunno:

3. 91004

91004 Tannerite goes boom!

Will it provide enough power to charge my cell phone?? :dunno:

4. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

I reckon I could find an axle to put under it. The weight then would be around 6500 lbs. You won't set any land speed records towing it:rolleyes:

Should work for your cell phone, unless you have a bag phone from the '80's, then it may not have enough juice :D

PS I found and bought a loader. I could use a motor grader though!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  5. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

I've done business with Bart on other boards, he's a straight shooter.

6. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

BIG price drop: Come get it before Christmas for $3000

7. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

Generator

Ive been looking for one to put in the bed of my truck to power my camper..this one is a tad overkill...but reading this post reminds me of a couple weeks ago I did see a couple SUV's towing big bad generators on trailers..they looked like milsurp maybe out of Fort Campbell KY

8. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

If you are frugal with your consumption this should power 3 homes. If you have electric heat, hot water, dryer, arc welder and a 7HP compressor running at the same time, it will only power 1.5 homes.

$3000 price still valid

9. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

Twist my arm - I need the garage space.
    $2800

10. VUnder

VUnder Well-Known Member

Still got your generator?

11. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

Yep, still got it.

12. rkinnin

rkinnin New Member

will you email me some more pictures? also, can you supply me with the weight of it and your address? I would like to make an informed decision. you can send this information to robb at netstep dot net if you prefer thanks.

13. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

Let me know if the pix and info doesn't come thru.

14. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

Sandy victims: be prepared for next time!!
    This will run a gas station!!

15. Well_Driller

Well_Driller Member

That price still seems a bit high to me. I just went and looked at a 30KW diesel with less hours and a bit newer for less than what you're asking for this, and it was also a heavy industrial unit....

16. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

I don't know how much "heavier" you can get but this is not a light duty set up!
    Diesel gensets have fuel storage issues, but are good units. If you go with the 30KW diesel make sure you have it loaded at a 70% or more draw. Otherwise carbon from the exhaust will get pulled back into the oil. Carbon in the oil and on your bearings will make for short engine life.
    If I'm high - throw me an offer.

17. Well_Driller

Well_Driller Member

That certainly is a nice unit. No electronic voltage regulators etc. which is a plus. I'm not too familiar with that engine, are parts still available for it?? I've been around lots of diesels powering various equipment, none of them have a 70% load, and some of the ones on the drilling rigs have more idle time, light loads on the cable rigs and we've never had a carbon problem. I have seen it though on some of the very old diesel engines but those were antiques...

18. onsno

onsno New Member

I have the twin brother to that unit. My Dad does actually. We were a dairy farm before switching to strawberries, x-mas trees, and so on. Ours runs on gasoline. Has only 45 hours on it!! We're at the end of the line so we used it during power outages to keep our milk cold. Now that we're no longer a dairy farm we just use it to keep our shop functional during power outages. It is wired to our barn, shop, main house, and employee apartment. When we run it, we try to turn about everything on. The more we turn on, the better it runs. We can weld fantastically while under gen power. Better than under public power. We've halfheartedly been looking for another one of these units to run my house and my sugarhouse (maple syrup operation with oil fired evaporator that needs electricity) which are both located across the road from the main farm. Otherwise we'd pipe em into our existing unit. Although we're located in NH, for the right price, we'd consider a road trip after the salt is off all the roads

19. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

My guess is that it would be cheaper to put it on a truck and ship it rather than to make a round trip from NH. Although, if you are coming to visit Yellowstone anyway ;-) --.
    Where in NH are you?? I spent some time in Portsmouth and Hampton Beach when I was in the Navy. Had a good friend in West Lebanon (moved to AZ) and I got married in Woodstock VT.

If the diesels are higher RPM's engines (1800-2500), there won't be a carbon issue. However, you will burn more fuel. Idling a diesel is about the worst thing you can do to it. I know EVERYBODY does it, but that is where you get the carbon build up in the oil.

20. cowboybart

cowboybart Member

PS. If you change the carb and make a few other minor tweeks this will run on gasoline too.