Discussion in 'Politics' started by jafl, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

People on the left insist that even if Barak Hussein Obama had been born in a country other than the United States he is still a natural born citizen of the United States because his mother was a citizen at the time of his birth.

Using the Left’s reasoning Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was born in Tel Aviv, is also a natural born American citizen because his mother was an American citizen.

If it weren’t for his 3 wives, I’d consider Bibi ‘012.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm personally inclined to think that the BHO citizenship status might be a red herring to divert attention/energy from actual grievance-worthy things he is/will be doing holding the highest office in the land. And no politician wants the exposure or risk in this regard if it is a distraction/entrapment tactic. I was under the impression that the reason he is not a citizen is that his mother failed to register him properly when he returned to US soil or somesuch :confused: I don't know, I haven't really been following that particular cause.

3. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

One of the first laws enacted by the U.S. Congress after the Constitution took effect was a citizenship law that defined anyone with a U.S. citizen as a parent as being a natural born U.S. Citizen. Liberals routinely point to this law as proof that Obama is a natural born U.S. citizen. But, this was replaced after a few years and this provision was not included in the replacement law.

Under current law if you are born outside of the U.S. you are a citizen if either of your parents is a citizen and meets certain U.S. residency requirements and (I think) if you live continuously in the U.S. for a certain amount of time before or after a certain age.

Personally I would not accept anyone who is not born in the United States as a natural born U.S. citizen regardless of what citizenship their parents have. But to my knowledge no current U.S. law defines what a natural born U.S. citizen is and I don’t know if any other previous law was ever made or challenged in court.

4. Obsidian

Obsidian Guest

Have to disagree with you there. I don't know nor have I heard anyone on the Left say anything other than that he was born in Hawaii. The Democratic party for the sake of their own sanity has already vetted this. The state of Hawaii has confirmed it. A lawyer named Berg brought suit challenging this last fall I think (after suing Bush / Cheney for 9-11). The SCOTUS refused to hear it.

Except for a few on the lunatic fringe, it's a dead issue. You can find a summary of the whole affair on snopes.com.

I agree that its just an issue designed to distract people from real issues.

5. The_Blob

yeah... I just can't trust snopes anymore, after repeatedly contacting them (trying to be helpful) about a few errors they had; their response, finally, was to threaten me with a "harassment" charge. I believe they have some kind of dissemination agenda, I just don't know what it is. :eek: :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

6. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

Pay attention. That is not what I said. Liberals I have encountered on the net have not said that Obama was born outside of the U.S., but they have said that even if he had been born outside of the U.S. (as some rightwing blowhards have claimed) he would still be a natural born U.S. citizen based on the 18th century citizenship law.

Not by providing a copy of the original certificate of live birth showing when and where Obama was born. I know that Obama has released a birth certificate, but I gather it is a secondary copy that was issued decades after he was born and is based on information that either Obama or his designees provided.

7. waynemart

waynemart Waynemart

It appears no one mentions there were different immigration laws when Obama was born. First of all, Hawaii was a US territory and not a state at the time. Under the US laws of that time, a mother must have been 18 to qualify as a US citizen in Hawaii. She was 16 when Obama was born, whether it was in Hawaii or Kenya (where there is strong evidence he was born). Either way, neither of Obama's parents were legally US citizens at the time of his birth, so it is important that he was really born in Hawaii. The copy of the Hawaiian birth certificate he produced strangely resembled his sisters birth certificate, signatures and all. Just the name and date were different. Even the times of birth are exactly the same. All evidence points that he was born in Kenya (also verified by his Kenyan grandmother) and taken to Hawaii when he was 3 years old. If all of this is true, at best he is a naturalized citizen even though his mother did not file the papers. What everyone should be concerned about is, with all this doubt, why hasn't Obama produced the original Hawaiian birth certificate to squelch the accusations? He has even gone out of his way to prohibit Hawaii from producing it. And, if the Constitution lays out the rules, why isn't there some agency that validates a candidate's credentials prior to a presidential election? Whether you are Republican or Democrat, every American citizen should be concerned if there is a deception involved regarding a candiate's grass-roots right to run for the highest office in the land.

8. The_Blob

HTF do you come to THAT conclusion?

Hawaii becomes a state August 21st, 1959

Barack Hussein Obama (supposedly) born August 4th, 1961

9. waynemart

waynemart Waynemart

The law applied throughout the USA until 1972. Look it up

10. The_Blob

well say THAT then... ;)

thanks for the clarification

but isn't that ALSO the law that is 'paternity' specific also? (of course, male pronouns are used as a generic in many cases, even today) or is it the one that states that both parents have to be citizens? Skimming a few threads about this subject I have seen both of these arguments, but like I've stated before I REALLY don't put a lot of effort into this subject.

also... (ahhh crap I lost the actual link)

Barack Obama was conceived out of wedlock when his mom was barely legal. Ann Dunham Soetoro was born on 11/29/42, she married Barack Obama, Sr. on 2/2/61, and their son was born on 8/4/61. So lil' Barry would've been conceived somewhere around his mom's 18th birthday, most likely before, with a man who was not her husband. And his parents' subsequent marriage wasn't even legal, because Barack Sr. was still married to a woman in Kenya.

for all you that follow this story, is any of THAT true?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  11. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

Because of my mother I am a US citzen........however......I had to live in the US for five years before the age of 18 with out ever leaving the country.