2011 hurricane season

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by *Andi, Jun 1, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

2011 hurricane season gets underway ... It's the one time you hope for a short Thread. lol

The 2011 Atlantic hurricane season is underway and we are already watching a system off the Florida coast. (per the weather channel.)

2. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

When a storm starts to make it's way to the coast. Watch the weather patterns to the west, you can pretty much tell how the storm will go. Hurricanes have no steering, they hook up with other weather patterns. If there is a front coming in across your area as the storm approches you can be pretty sure you will get hit. Take it from someone who lived over 50 years with these storms.

3. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

GRRRRRR....:mad:

Jimmy

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Maybe they'll name the first one "*Andi"? :D

Hope you all stay safe this hurricane season.

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

No Andi ... lol ...

2011 Hurricane Names
    Arlene
    Bret
    Cindy
    Don
    Emily
    Franklin
    Gert
    Harvey
    Irene
    Jose
    Katia
    Lee
    Maria
    Nate
    Ophelia
    Philippe
    Rina
    Sean
    Tammy
    Vince
    Whitney

6. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

Just ONCE Id like to see one named GAYLENE. *pouts*

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Isn't "Gert" short for Gaylene? :D (just kidding!)

You can tell I live a far way from the hurricane zone...I didn't know they had them all named for the year! I figured when one brewed on the horizon they say to each other "Hey, Bob! What did we call that last one?" and then find a name to go with the next letter of the alphabet! :surrender:

Any reason they skipped five of the letters of the alphabet? (Q,U,X,Y,Z)

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

If I remember right it is becasue there are few common names using Q,U,X,Y,Z. I did half expect that to change, last year someone made a complaint that the names being used were not "PC" :gaah: Names like Cindy, Don, and Emily are just plain common names. :rolleyes:

9. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Uh oh... the first hurricane of the year in the Pacific is named "Adrian" (my stepdaughters name) and the first hurricane of the year in the Atlantic is "Arlene" (my wife's name). WE GOT TROUBLES!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

:lolsmash:

And the "H" hurricane for this year is Harvey, which is pretty dang close to "Harley"... :D

11. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

What do they do if *heaven forbid* they have so many hurricanes that they run out of names? Does it just loop around and start over?

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Then it goes to the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, ... :D

13. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Outstanding, gypsy..... :congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat: :D

14. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Until a 35 years or so ago, they were all named after women....

Turned into big deal. The ladies got tired of being called ugly names...:dunno::D

Only thing I can say is the 2 worst storms to ever hit the USA were named ladies names.....:ignore:

Hmmmmm......;)

Love ya girls!!!!:kiss:

Jimmy

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Arlene

- Arlene has dissipated in Mexico over the Sierra Madre

- All warnings have been discontinued

- The remaining threat is heavy rain which will cause flooding and mud slides in northern Mexico

- Rainfall of 4 to 8 inches is possible

- Showers and thunderstorms will continue to affect South Texas through Friday

- Over the weekend the remnant moisture from Arlene moves through northern Mexico toward the Desert Southwest increasing thunderstorm activity there.

Per the Weather Channel ...

16. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Hopefully it will help the parts of TX that so desperately need rain...

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Latest on Bret

T.D. Two was upgraded to Tropical Storm Bret Sunday evening just north of the northern Bahamas. Bret is not a significant threat to the United States and will begin moving north-northeastward away from the Bahamas over the next 24 hours ...

Per the weather channel.

18. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Bret forecast sure did change fast.Last night it said it was'nt any threat to US.We could sure use a good storm here.Our rivers and aquifers are all down.
    Even a hurricane is welcome by some.

19. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

I lived in Florida for 10 years and learned that the summers where Florida has a lot of Rain ended up having few Hurricanes. This summer they are getting the rain! Having said that the rest of Country may be at risk cause I know nothing about ya'lls weather patterns! :scratch

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Don

Tropical Storm Don Forms

The season's fourth named storm, "Don", formed Wednesday afternoon in the southern Gulf of Mexico, with its sights set on the Gulf Coast of Texas or Mexico ... per the weather channel.

How did I miss C? :dunno:

Looks like Texas might get some rain ...