Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 hurricane season gets underway ... It's the one time you hope for a short Thread. lol

The 2011 Atlantic hurricane season is underway and we are already watching a system off the Florida coast. (per the weather channel.)

·
Registered
983 Posts
When a storm starts to make it's way to the coast. Watch the weather patterns to the west, you can pretty much tell how the storm will go. Hurricanes have no steering, they hook up with other weather patterns. If there is a front coming in across your area as the storm approches you can be pretty sure you will get hit. Take it from someone who lived over 50 years with these storms.

·
803 Posts
GRRRRRR....:mad:

Jimmy

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
2011 hurricane season gets underway ... It's the one time you hope for a short Thread. lol

The 2011 Atlantic hurricane season is underway and we are already watching a system off the Florida coast. (per the weather channel.)
Maybe they'll name the first one "*Andi"? :D

Hope you all stay safe this hurricane season.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Andi ... lol ...

2011 Hurricane Names
Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katia
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rina
Sean
Tammy
Vince
Whitney

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Just ONCE Id like to see one named GAYLENE. *pouts*
Isn't "Gert" short for Gaylene? :D (just kidding!)

You can tell I live a far way from the hurricane zone...I didn't know they had them all named for the year! I figured when one brewed on the horizon they say to each other "Hey, Bob! What did we call that last one?" and then find a name to go with the next letter of the alphabet! :surrender:

Any reason they skipped five of the letters of the alphabet? (Q,U,X,Y,Z)

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I remember right it is becasue there are few common names using Q,U,X,Y,Z. I did half expect that to change, last year someone made a complaint that the names being used were not "PC" :gaah: Names like Cindy, Don, and Emily are just plain common names. :rolleyes:

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Uh oh... the first hurricane of the year in the Pacific is named "Adrian" (my stepdaughters name) and the first hurricane of the year in the Atlantic is "Arlene" (my wife's name). WE GOT TROUBLES!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Uh oh... the first hurricane of the year in the Pacific is named "Adrian" (my stepdaughters name) and the first hurricane of the year in the Atlantic is "Arlene" (my wife's name). WE GOT TROUBLES!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:lolsmash:

And the "H" hurricane for this year is Harvey, which is pretty dang close to "Harley"... :D

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
What do they do if *heaven forbid* they have so many hurricanes that they run out of names? Does it just loop around and start over?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then it goes to the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, ... :D

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Outstanding, gypsy..... :congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat::congrat: :D

·
803 Posts
Until a 35 years or so ago, they were all named after women....

Turned into big deal. The ladies got tired of being called ugly names...:dunno::D

Only thing I can say is the 2 worst storms to ever hit the USA were named ladies names.....:ignore:

Hmmmmm......;)

Love ya girls!!!!:kiss:

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arlene

- Arlene has dissipated in Mexico over the Sierra Madre

- All warnings have been discontinued

- The remaining threat is heavy rain which will cause flooding and mud slides in northern Mexico

- Rainfall of 4 to 8 inches is possible

- Showers and thunderstorms will continue to affect South Texas through Friday

- Over the weekend the remnant moisture from Arlene moves through northern Mexico toward the Desert Southwest increasing thunderstorm activity there.

Per the Weather Channel ...

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latest on Bret

T.D. Two was upgraded to Tropical Storm Bret Sunday evening just north of the northern Bahamas. Bret is not a significant threat to the United States and will begin moving north-northeastward away from the Bahamas over the next 24 hours ...

Per the weather channel.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Bret forecast sure did change fast.Last night it said it was'nt any threat to US.We could sure use a good storm here.Our rivers and aquifers are all down.
Even a hurricane is welcome by some.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
I lived in Florida for 10 years and learned that the summers where Florida has a lot of Rain ended up having few Hurricanes. This summer they are getting the rain! Having said that the rest of Country may be at risk cause I know nothing about ya'lls weather patterns! :scratch

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don

Tropical Storm Don Forms

The season's fourth named storm, "Don", formed Wednesday afternoon in the southern Gulf of Mexico, with its sights set on the Gulf Coast of Texas or Mexico ... per the weather channel.

How did I miss C? :dunno:

Looks like Texas might get some rain ...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts