My purpose in a limited amount of time was to make charcoal (I hate those stupid briquetts) and take step 1 in making a simple wood gasifier to use in my tri-fuel generator. I bought a heavy gauge 55 gal drum that was used to ship lecithin. The top is removable and fastens with a steel band. I then drilled 6, 3/8" holes from one end to the other so that when it lays on its side the 6 holes all point down. I added 3 more holes at the end so allow for liquid discharge. I split dry maple to kindling size and stacked it in the barrel, alternating the layers and leaving lots of airspace and closed and clamped the lid. I set the barrel, laying on its side on blocks on each end with one end slightly higher than the other to allow for drainage of the condensate, and then I lit a good hot fire beneath. In about 45 minutes or so it began to gasify and in about 1 hour I had 9 blowtorches (one for each hole) flaming, each flaming 10 to 12 inches out the bottom with a low roar just as I had hoped. The gas flame dramatically increased the temp of the fire. It had become self-sustaining. After about 3 hours of gasifying I had to leave. I returned 2 hours later to find no more gas flame. I hosed the fire and barrel down but found the barrel was creating its own heat because I left it on the fire too long. So, I opened the barrel to find that the charcoal was indeed, burning, so I hosed it down to, then scooped it out onto some trays to dry in the sun. That evening, I put some in the charcoal grill, lit it, and yee haw! Much hotter and burned much longer than those stupid, ridiculously priced briquetts. Next time, I'll place a steel "cradle" inside the barrel so the wood inside does not touch the outside of the barrel. That should prevent it from igniting if I let it on the fire too long. As an aside, we can sit around the campfire and make our own charcoal all at the same time. The experiment continues. Next: capture the gas, clean it, and try it in a cheapy lawmower engine.