13 year old w/ Airsoft gun shot by police

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Sentry18, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

Tragic. And why all of my children's "toy guns" are lime green or red or orange guns that could never be confused with the real deal. Airsoft guns and the like are treated like real guns and never leave the house without a parent or older responsible sibling along to go to the BB gun range. This is also why I hate the current trend of coloring guns pink for women and other bright colors just to make them stand out.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/13-year-old-shot-while-carrying-fake-gun/

2. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Whoa, where is the orange tip? I don't see it.

This is so sad.

Wait, now I'm questioning does air soft have orange tips.

3. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

The one I have in the house HAD an orange tip. I took gun bluing and coated it. It originally was a prop gun for a movie that I kept when we finished shooting. Not uncommon for this to be done for movies or TV. It is cheaper and easier to get a hold of air soft guns than rent "real" prop/blank firing guns.

(I use bluing to age metal buttons and buckles on costumes. That and I redid a derringer barrel a few years back.)

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

My understanding is that Airsoft "toys" in Canada are not required to have the bright-orange tip and that it is only a requirement in the USA. Many children will repaint their "toys" with camo-colors or flat-black and play with them in the yard or fields behind their homes.

On the other side of the coin, there are criminals who are using bright paints on their real firearms to make them look more like kids toys, and, if they are asked about it, they just say that they only have toys with them and "mean no-one harm" ...

5. Sentry18

These are all REAL guns. Some have aftermarket finishes and some are factory stock in these colors. This should be worrisome to everyone, not just cops. If I saw a green and yellow AR15 I would probably think toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sentry18

These are all TOY, airsoft or prop guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

None of the sources go into any more depth than that...

We can go after the toy gun all we want but a lot more comes into play. (IMO)

8. drfacefixer

drfacefixer Well-Known Member

But what if it's driven by the free market? Should there be regulation on how a gun looks?

9. NaeKid

That is exactly what I was trying to get across. We need to teach our children that real-or-toy guns should always be treated like they are real.

Here in Canada, we have a couple of "sayings" that are taught over-n-over again to all firearms owners through the courses. Maybe these same sayings should be put onto toy-gun packaging as well (Airsoft, BB, etc).

THE VITAL FOUR ACTS OF FIREARMS SAFETY
    • Assume every firearm is loaded.
    • Control the muzzle direction at all times.
    • Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
    • See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.

PROVE
    • Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
    • Remove all cartridges.
    • Observe the chamber.
    • Verify the feeding path.
    • Examine the bore.

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

And who is to say the kid didn't?

Now if the kids pointed the gun at the cop and yelled, "DIE" ... I may look at it different but when they say ... None of the sources go into any more depth than that... It leaves a lot to ponder...

Just saying ...

So I guess now along with our 2nd A they will also go after all toy guns...

11. Sentry18

There is no regulation at all, so that point is moot. But when cops starting shooting people who point pink guns at them because the market is flooded with pink guns what is CNN going to tell people to think? Will people say, well he shouldn't have pointed it at a cop. Will people say, why did the cop shoot? Shouldn't he have stood there with a possible gun pointed at him and waiting to BE shot before he shot back? If a 13 year old point a possible gun at you would you just wait it out to see what happened?

A little common sense now could save a lot of lives later.

I recommend you go back and read the last paragraph of the article. It said a lot and it said it well.

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

None of the sources go into any more depth than that... (why???)

Did the kid point the toy are the cops??? Did he look at them and say, "Who me???"

What happen and why will they not say???

And on a side note: My gun is purple... Does that matter one way or the other ???

It all comes back to ...None of the sources go into any more depth than that.

(SORRY)

13. Sentry18

I don't have the link right now, but the deputy's said that he turned and pointed the gun toward them. The issue at hand now is that apparently the 13 year old did not speak any english and may not have understood the commands that the deputies were shouting at him.

14. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

People get shot because they have a cell phone in their hand and it is mistaken for a gun. I don't mean to be callus but these things happen and there is nothing we can do to stop them. We might try to reduce the numbers but I don't predict much success.

The sad thing is the point which this society has reached. Fifty years ago teenagers used to take guns to school and hunt on the way home. Nobody thought a thing about it.

15. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Bingo. I think that I've shared this story before. Here I go again with another one....

We have lots of toy guns as well as, you know. My kids aren't allowed to even point toy guns at each other. I mean, I come unglued if I saw it when they were youngest, before they were exposed to real you know... Anyway, there is a child that we keep often when he's not in school (we homeschool so I have become the babysitter for this child on days that he is out) one day, the kids comes to me... Johnny is pointing his gun at me. :eek: I had to sit this child down and explain, even toy guns are not to be pointed at others. Go shoot a tree or squirrel (which we have all around) a bird, a deer, my chickens, but do not point the gun at each other. Now, not saying the kids don't so this occasionally when playing war now that they are older but I did this moreso to just teach them some seriousness of 'pointing' a gun. Now they are extremely good at gun safety. Right now I have one asking if he can shoot his 22 with his brother watching, no was the answer.

So we have parents that have never been around guns, do not even allow toys guns (that's so so bad) and once that child gets a toy gun, he doesn't even know how to play with the thing.

We had a pastor's kids do the same thing. Pastor was a total liberal and saw guns as evil. Needless to say, no longer around those folks.

16. Jimthewagontraveler

Jimthewagontraveler Well-Known Member

Man this is one of those times when you just cant find any part of this that doesnt stink.

17. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

10 seconds from the first call till the call of "shots fired" ... (per the FBI) The time line does raise a few question.

I've not read anything about the kid not knowing English ... as of yet.

18. NaeKid

Just found a story on RT about this ...

http://rt.com/usa/thousands-protest-shooting-victim-funeral-931/

19. Cotton

Cotton Supporting Member

Tragedies like these leave me heavy hearted for all concerned. Imagine the cops, carrying something like this for the rest of their life. No cop I know would want to shoot a kid or live with it.

I see no workable prevention, sadly this will happen again.

All I can add is the story of the first time I saw a pink gun, a 12ga at a sporting goods store. I was at the counter and a guy walked up beside me. Obviously his first time seeing one and he spoke his question aloud…

“Who would want a pink shotgun?”…

I said “a security guard at a bubble gum factory?” :D

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Gelhaus has declined all media requests, but a police report detailed that he fired upon Lopez when Lopez had his back toward the police and appeared to be raising the weapon.

WOW!