11 Prep Items That Almost Never Go Bad

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by IrritatedWithUS, Apr 4, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Honey

Honey never really goes bad. In a tomb in Egypt 3,000 years ago, honey was found and was still edible. If there are temperature fluctuations and sunlight, then the consistency and color can change. Many honey harvesters say that when honey crystallizes, then it can be re-heated and used just like fresh honey. Because of honey’s low water content, microorganisms do not like the environment.

Uses: curing, baking, medicinal, wine (mead)

Salt

Although salt is prone to absorbing moisture, it’s shelf life is indefinite. This indispensable mineral will be a valuable commodity in a long term disaster and will be a essential bartering item.

Uses: curing, preservative, cooking, cleaning, medicinal, tanning hides

Sugar

Life would be so boring without sugar. Much like salt, sugar is also prone to absorbing moisture, but this problem can be eradicated by adding some rice granules into the storage container.

Uses: sweetener for beverages, breads, cakes, preservative, curing, gardening, insecticide (equal parts of sugar and baking powder will kill cockroaches).

Wheat

Wheat is a major part of the diet for over 1/3 of the world. This popular staple supplies 20% of daily calories to a majority of the world population. Besides being a high carbohydrate food, wheat contains valuable protein, minerals, and vita*mins. Wheat protein, when balanced by other foods that supply certain amino acids such as lysine, is an efficient source of protein. If stored properly, wheat can last a long, long time.

Uses: baking, making alcohol, livestock feed, leavening agent

Dried corn

Essentially, dried corn can be substituted for any recipe that calls for fresh corn. Our ancestors began drying corn because of it’s short lived season. To extend the shelf life of corn, it has to be preserved by drying it out so it can be used later in the year.

Uses: soups, cornmeal, livestock feed, hominy and grits, heating source (do a search for corn burning fireplaces).

Baking soda

This multi-purpose prep is a must have for long term storage.

Uses: teeth cleaner, household cleaner, dish cleaner, laundry detergent booster, leavening agent for baked goods, tarnish remover

Instant coffee, tea, and cocoa

Adding these to your long term storage will not only add a variety to just drinking water, but will also lift morale. Instant coffee is high vacuum freeze dried. So, as long as it is not introduced to moisture, then it will last. Storage life for all teas and cocoas can be extended by using desiccant packets or oxygen absorbing packets, and by repackaging the items with a vacuum sealing.

Uses: beverages, flavor additions to baked goods

Non-carbonated soft drinks

Although many of us prefer carbonated beverages, over time the sugars break down and the drink flavor is altered. Non-carbonated beverages stand a longer test of time. And, as long as the bottles are stored in optimum conditions, they will last. Non-carbonated beverages include: vitamin water, Gatorade, juices, bottled water.

Uses: beverages, flavor additions to baked goods

White rice

White rice is a major staple item that preppers like to put away because it’s a great source for calories, cheap and has a long shelf life. If properly stored this popular food staple can last 30 years or more.

Uses: breakfast meal, addition to soups, side dishes, alternative to wheat flour

Bouillon products

Because bouillon products contain large amounts of salt, the product is preserved. However, over time, the taste of the bouillon could be altered. If storing bouillon cubes, it would be best repackage them using a food sealer or sealed in mylar bags.

Uses: flavoring dishes

Powdered milk – in nitrogen packed cans

Powdered milk can last indefinitely, however, it is advised to prolong it’s shelf life by either repackaging it for longer term storage, or placing it in the freezer. If the powdered milk develops an odor or has turned a yellowish tint, it’s time to discard.

Uses: beverage, dessert, ingredient for certain breads, addition to soup and baked goods.

ARE YOU PREPPED? Check out these preparation calculators provided by Ready Nutrition: Essential Prepping Calculators | Ready Nutrition

2. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

To expand upon the non-carbonated beverage category, Gatorade and similar electrolyte+sucrose sports drink mixes are excellent items to have for first aid and home-pharmacy purposes. Fluid and electrolyte replenishment is critical for cases of diarrhea (of which there are many, many causes), viruses, heat injuries, etc. Good stuff to have around.

3. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

To expand on BizzyB, all powdered drink mixes that can be stored are a useful and tasty to add to water. To escape boring water every day.

I would also add Pepper to the list, a very tasty and it has a spicy flavor.
    Use aluminum cans to store beverages, as plastic containers are porous and will absorb flavors and smells if left to their on.

Pickling packets would also be a good prep.

4. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

As long as it is stored pepper corns... ground pepper doesn't keep.
    Keep a pepper mill or two stored with the pepper corns.

5. nkjones1

nkjones1 Active Member

Just as a correction, i know for a fact that gatorade goes bad. don't know why or how long it takes but it separates and if you drink it it will make you sick. Happened to about 20 guys I served with in Iraq. You'd probably be better off buying the gatorade powder to mix with water. It'd store better anyway. Hope this helps.

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I'm currently eating a plastic jar of Kroger peanut butter that is 2 years beyond its shelf life, still tastes good. The jar is a little crunchy & chewy though.:D

7. LincTex

The powder cakes up a bit and gets hard, and gets darker in color (oxidizes?)
    ....But I doubt that will ruin it. If you can vac pack some in mylar bags, it would probably last forever.
    Will make weird water taste better, too.

8. TrackerRat

TrackerRat Well-Known Member

could that be because it was stored in heat and/or direct sunlight?

9. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

I drink alot of Minute Made lemonade in the cans...wonder how that would do

10. Ezmerelda

Ezmerelda Well-Known Member

Speaking of baking soda...

Can heat degrade baking soda to the point that it is no longer useful for cooking? :confused:

I have been purchasing the Large bags from Sam's since last fall and need to know if I need to move it out of the attic now that the weather is warming up.

11. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Just as another option to the non carbonated drinks, a friend at work just turned me on to MiO liquid water enhancers. They're like drink powder, but a liquid you shoot into your water and it's ready to go, no stirring required. I've only had the fruit punch but my friend has tried them all and likes all but the sweet tea.

They come in these little silver guitar pick shaped bottles, about 2 inches high. Great for long term storage because they're small and really concentrated- the bottle says each 1.62 oz bottle is good for 24 eight ounce servings. The one I got is sugar free-not sure if they all are.

Not trying to hawk a product here but I'd never heard of these before this week and wanted to pass along what I think will be a good addition to many people's long term stores.

12. retief

retief New Member

According to Univ of Utah, here heat isnt as much a bother as moisture. So keep the soda dry! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  13. Ezmerelda

Ezmerelda Well-Known Member

Thanks, Retief! That's a very useful site. :2thumb:

14. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I got a bottle of Mio for free in the mail from a promotion online. They are good tasting and it does use the one artificial sweetener that doesn't bother me as much. I have tons of $1 off coupons for it and found that while meijer stores have it for $3.99 each the walmart next door has them for $3.49 each. So if I get a few more of them I am going to head to wallyworld.
    They are all sugar free using splenda.

15. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Thanks for the info! (and thanks Ezmerelda for asking - I've stocked up on those same bags ;) )

16. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

You forgot sanitary pads.those things can close one hell of a wound,I've seen it!
    Guys,forget the macho crap,buy a case today!the darn things can close a sucking chest wound!

17. IrritatedWithUS

Good to know...LOL

18. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

pads are for blood and fluids

as my DH says " all chest wounds suck ":2thumb::2thumb: just remember to to cover gunshot wounds to the chest with a piece of plastic or mylar and tape on three sides. If the shot was clear through , then tape the back on all four sides and the front on three. Remember what the ladies' pads are for. (Blood is blood):rolleyes:

19. LincTex

I wonder how that makes a difference?

20. IrritatedWithUS

I've heard the same story for YEARS that my great-grandmother cut off her finger on an old washer machine and there was no doctor and my grandma watched her sew her finger back on with a thread and needle without even a tear or gasp...