#10 cans of food

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by dano23, Apr 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dano23

dano23 Member

With just the wife and I eating, how can I save the balance of a #10 can of food open for one meal?

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Good question. I only buy small cans.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

first off... #10 cans of what?

2nd, just the 2 of you... #10 cans might be a little wasteful when you take into account the resources involved in re-canning, freezing, or otherwise preserving the leftovers again... smaller cans might be better

4. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Refridgerate? Freeze? If you can't do either, pig out for one day, starve for the next two :D

5. MaryV

MaryV Well-Known Member

it depends on the food. if its dried veggies, they will keep, just put them in a airtight container. if its something like a mountainhouse dinner such as lasagna, they dont keep more than a week after opening, so you have to eat it up or you could re-pack it in mylar and keep in the fridge, then it should last a while longer. if its rice or oatmeal or food like that, it will keep a long time after opening.

6. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

You can cook the food and keep in warm in a pot over the fire. As long as the food is fully cooked the keep warm temperature for food is surprisingly low. As long as it is held at the proper temperature it should be able to sit warm for a day or so before you'll have any problems.

7. saintsfanbrian

saintsfanbrian Liberty or Death!!!!

Bacteria grows between 40 and 140 degrees so as long as it is outside of those zones you should be okay.

I would think that if you fully cook whatever was in the can and then vacuum pack it and put it in the freezer you should be able to get a few months out of it.

8. Pandora

Pandora Guest

I say take it out of the can after opening it, like when you take the rest of the food out then put the remains in a Ziploc bag or tupperware and refrigerate or freeze.

9. lanahi

lanahi Well-Known Member

Many of the companies you buy the #10 cans from give you an idea of how long an opened can is good for, but many of them are good for a year or more after opening. The main thing is to keep them dry.