10 Billion humans by 2050….Wow.

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by ke4sky, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ke4sky

ke4sky ke4sky

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

We can't keep expanding the populations of the world forever. I'll give the Chinese one thing. Their "one child per family" rule is helping to postpone the inevitable overpopulation of the planet.

Perhaps a viral plague will wipe out most of the world's population and the survivors will get to start over.

3. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

I think Mother Nature and Human Nature will trim the population DRASTICALLY long before we reach that large of a world population.

Drought, floods, earthquakes, dwindling resources forcing countries into conflicts (war) with ever more sophisticated weaponry reaching new heights of destruction, will encroach upon every continent and person!

China has the right idea concerning population control, but population control only works if it is being practiced on every continent and in every country. 3rd world population expansion is now threatening every country that does practice various forms of population control. That is a part of the economic, social, and political problems that we are ignoring now.

4. Nadine

Nadine Guest

I don't agree with a rule about how many kids you should be allowed to have, although I find it quite rediculous to be having 14-18 kids! Like that show 18 Kids and Counting.....please, stop counting!

5. 10101

10101 Guest

I agree, however it could happen:confused:

6. mandiex4

mandiex4 Mom of 4

LOL, I agree! My 4 were blessings! But, 18 is a lot! But, if you can take care of them, I guess go for it. I will be stopping at 4, lol.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

While this sounds great in theory, the "one child policy" doesn't necessarily reflect what is actually going on in China.
    We have been going to a small, out of the way, Chinese buffet almost every Fri. night for about 2 years and have gotten to know the daughter of the owner. She will be 20 next month. Her father and 2 brothers, 1 older ( who is now in the US army in NC. ) and 1 younger, came here 11 years ago. About 3 months ago they had saved up enough money to pay their fines and, in essence, buy her mothers freedom and bring her to America. It cost them about $10,000 for fee's and transportation expense to get her here and another $10,000 in fines for having more than 1 child. They actually had 4 but 1 died as a baby. The fines vary widely but are mostly based on the family income. They are from a mid-sized city of about 50,000 in a southeast province where she says life is similar to any city of that size in the US.
    While most people there believe it is a good idea, compliance doesn't reflect that as most of the people her family stay in touch with have at least 2. They just pay the fines.

8. Canadian

Well two kids sure beats four or more.

9. mandiex4

mandiex4 Mom of 4

LOL, I think I will have a 5th one just for you Canadian!!!! LOL, just joking! But, really my children are gifts from God and we are so blessed!

10. Canadian

I don't think Oklahoma is exactly overflowing with people.

11. mandiex4

mandiex4 Mom of 4

Nope, that is another reason I love it here! But, at the rate we are all going, that could change....I can understand where you are coming from.

12. Obsidian

Obsidian Guest

Lot of discussion on global warming, swine flu, peak oil, and so on.

None of those would exist were it not for the population bomb.

13. Canadian

Send condoms to China!!!

14. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm pretty certain that the 'population explosions' are actually happening in South America, The Middle East, and India.

of course, TODAY they announced 'The Pandemic'... just HOW bad of a person does it make me for crossing my fingers? :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

15. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Very bad ... :p

16. Vajk

Vajk Guest

Well...

According to the Georgia Guidestones, it calls for an 85% population reduction from current levels.

The Message of the Georgia Guidestones

Any volunteers? ;)

I love folks who support Eugenics. You'll volunteer to help reduce the 'surplus' population starting with yourself, right? :D

Otherwise, it's just hypocrisy.

17. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I just looked at that site:

All that I see from that list is a "utopian" society which is impossible given the nature of people ... my answer to those 10 points ..

#1 - impossible
    #2 - China is trying that - and - failing
    #3 - English is the "unified" language being spoken primarily in tha majority of countries
    #4 - Huh?? What is that supposed to mean?
    #5 - Fair laws? When criminals don't play fair, why should we play fair with them?
    #6 - Tried that - dictators destroy their countries, then, the people of that country ask for help to get things back on track again
    #7 - All laws are petty - all officials are useless
    #8 - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - and it still doesn't work because of the petty laws and useless officials
    #9 - Sounds good - so - when chickie becomes ugly - what do we do with her?
    #10 - I think I read an echo there ..

18. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Lots of open space here and in Texas to grow but I agree. I think Mother Nature will weed the population when it becomes too much.

19. Obsidian

Obsidian Guest

I think we can safely say now that Project Replenish the Earth is mission accomplished.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  20. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

The wife and I have one child- a son. We've decided that he's all we want. This is mostly due to our own personal financial reasons, but the thought also crossed our minds about the population explosion. How many people do we really need to bring into the world?

Our son is the best thing that ever happened to us, but one is plenty. He has cousins very near (within a mile) to play with and our friends have kids near in age to him.