$1 Preps

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Johnnyfive, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Johnnyfive

Johnnyfive Member

I did a search and couldn't find a subject on this so if its been discussed before please excuse me.

One Dollar Preps.

From Dollar Tree:
    • AA & AAA Alkaline batteries...At 4 for $1 there hard to beat.
    • 25 sq ft of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil MADE IN USA
    • Alcohol fuel cans MADE IN USA
    • Trail Mix PACKAGED IN USA WITH PEANUTS,RAISINS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, SOY BEANS FROM USA
    • Cotton Twine
    • Hand sanitizer MADE IN USA

Anyone else?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Transplant

Transplant Newbie

Love Dollar Tree...

Dish pans can't beat them they come in so handy

Manual can openers...never can have to many and they have some by Betty Crocker right now that are pretty good.

Heavy duty plastic clothes pins that look like gator clips. There are only like 6 or 8 to a pack but they hold up to the high winds here in the panhandle so they are worth it to me.

Spices...I have been able to pick up some really great spices there.

Another thing I buy there is mustartd - spicy brown mustard, dijon mustard and honey mustard. They all cost over a dollar in Wal Mart and the grocery store so this is a bargain for me.

Puzzle books for BOB bags...got to have those!

3. chick

chick alpha female

I know this one item doesn't even cost $1. and it's very tiny so it doesn't take up any space at all.
    It is a pencil sharpener.
    Not only is it handy for sharpening meat roasting sticks or arrows, or pegs or ..... the list is endless, but it's also great for making nice thin shavings for starting a fire.

Other good items:
    Steel wool
    spool of wire
    magnifying glass or mirror
    emergency blankets
    rain ponchos

4. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

I was just in a Dollar Tree yesterday and was going to post this same post this morning. Lots of good things in there. I couldn't stay long but will go back when i' off work.

5. showmegal

showmegal Well-Known Member

Pasta, I watch specifically for the 24 and 32oz pkgs.

6. d_saum

d_saum ExCommunicated

Great idea for a thread... and yes, I love Dollar Tree as well, but for some reason, I always seem to pass it by. :-/

7. CapnJack

CapnJack Problem with authority

Dollar preps are nice, but I feel I'd have to pass on the majority of what the dollar stores sell. I'm not going to depend on the Chinese to get me through a disaster situation, especially when they can't even build a simple ceramic heater that lasts more than a day.

8. MetalPrepper

MetalPrepper Willowe

I was in the (Chinese) dollar store the other day, picked up some large containers of spices, and a bunch of shampoo, deodorant, toothbruses & fingernail things (for my trades bin) .

9. dixiemama

dixiemama Well-Known Member

I'm in my dollar tree so much, I'm on a first name basis with the employees! I stock up on toothbrushes, paste, flosses, plus small packs of water for BOB. The educational aisle had helped me stock up on pencils, erasers, and notebooks. It's a great place to get small things

10. CapnJack

That kind of stuff is great. I should have specified mroe clearly in my post. Electronic/mechanical items I will pass right by. You can find older versions that kind of stuff that was MADE TO LAST in these great United States at yard sales, fleas, ect, and often, they are priced at the same buck that you can buy a new crappy Chinese one for.

11. Johnnyfive

Johnnyfive Member

You will be very surprised at how much stuff there IS made in USA. Being raised in a UAW family my father taught me at a young age to always check to see where stuff is made.
    I looked at the things I bought at the last trip

From Dollar Tree:
    • Sunbeam Ultra Performance AA & AAA Alkaline batteries...At 4 for $1 there hard to beat. Made by Energizer in USA.
    • 25 sq ft of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil MADE IN USA
    • Alcohol fuel cans MADE IN USA
    • Trail Mix PACKAGED IN USA WITH PEANUTS,RAISINS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS, SOY BEANS FROM USA
    • Cotton Twine CHINA
    • Hand sanitizer MADE IN USA

12. Johnnyfive

Johnnyfive Member

Its funny you said the can opener.. I bought one about a month ago and its still working strong. We do not use electric ones in my house and its hard to find a decent one that lasts from Wal-Mart or the like even at a $10 price tag..The dollar tree one worked so well we went and bought 5 to throw in the drawer.

We normally buy spices from Dollar general they have some 2 for $1. We have a couple dish pans we bought there also a couple years ago and use them when we go camping. Never thought about getting clothes pins from there...

13. Tactic12

Tactic12 Well-Known Member

At Dollar Tree they had some small Snap N Seal Containers that made good waterproof first aid kits for Bugout Bags. Wooden clothespins, & matches were a good fund in addition to everyone above.

I'd have to research the foil for bargain, might be possible to buy larger rolls elsewhere for less than $1 for each 25'. (I'm not sure yet, so don't shoot me). Lol

14. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

I found a box of 300 strike anywhere matches on sale for $1/box.

15. IlliniWarrior

IlliniWarrior Well-Known Member

Gossners brand shelf storage milk .... super cheap at a $1 a quart .... expire dates are usually out 9 months or so .....

16. CapnJack

Oh, I know. I check everything. Batteries are a good deal, they'll last pretty much the same as Duracell or any of the usual name brands. Lots of their food products are from right here, too. But there's a lot of other stuff that I would find useful that ain't from here. What'd ya rather buy for your kit? Plastic Chinese flashlight from the dollar store for $1.00 that the batteries barely fit in, or an old Coleman flashlight made in the states at a yard sale, likely they'll throw in the batteries, too, for $1.50? I know what I want. :2thumb:

17. bluestocking

bluestocking ExCommunicated

There are blogs related to items (not prep specific that I know of) one can get at dollar stores, for example Dollar Store Crafts and even one I think called Dollar Store Death Wish (for food of questionable quality found there). I have been known to get some items there, but a word of warning: sometimes the quality if what you pay for. While I have many storage items, mixing bowls, etc from dollar stores that are great, I have also gotten some items of shoddy quality. Many of the items are made in China and other places abroad and are not in good shape. Obviously YMMV and use your common sense!

18. Transplant

Transplant Newbie

Word of warning about the foil it is thin. I am sure it would be great in an emergency if you didn't have anything else but I like my foil to be heavy duty. Especially if I am going to wrap a tater in it and toss it in the coals.

19. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

Packages of multiple lighters. Great for trade or just stashing everywhere with a candle for power outages.

20. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

I was looking at the candles. They have the Jesus an Mary candles in the tall glass for a buck. I wouldn't use them in a tightly closed area.