Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > HandCrafts > Quilting and Sewing > The Treadle Janome Sewing Machine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
historyhomesteader

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

historyhomesteader is on a distinguished road
Default The Treadle Janome Sewing Machine

I'm sure that some of you already sew with non-electric machines, and to you all this is old news, because some people sew entirely with antique treadles. I just want to share this with those who haven't considered or explored non-electric machines yet.

The antique treadle machines are good, you can get them pretty cheap, and you could just about run over them with a tank and not damage them too much. When properly adjusted they make beautiful stitching. I have 2 treadle machine-heads and also a hand-cranked model.

After using my antique Singer treadle machine-head for a few projects, I really wanted a machine that would do a little more. I found out that Janome makes a non-electric "modern" machine intended for the Amish and other off-grid folks. I had an older electric Janome, which was a good machine, so I decided to try their treadle version.

The Janome is not the heavy, almost indestructible antique machine-head; it's made of plastic like most modern machines. Unlike the older treadles, however, it has adjustable stitch-length, zig-zags, and goes backwards. It has a button-hole feature as well. I must say the button-hole feature has not impressed me very much, but it DOES make them and I may just need to play with this more.

You mount this Janome on an antique stand, which you can pick up for about $25 in most areas, or you can buy a new treadle stand. The table is a bit of a problem. If you have an antique table on your stand, you may have to do a bit of retro-fitting to get the machine to sit correctly so that the leather drive-cord lines up. You can also buy a new table that fits this machine, which is what we did. It's not very good quality, but (other than the drawers, which were worthless), it's useable.

Remember: as with all non-electric machines, you'll need some source of light, like a window or some type of lamp. Too bad they can't rig a little generator on the treadle that also powers a tiny light-bulb! (Maybe some handy person out there could work on that!)

I've sewn several dresses for our little girl on the treadle-Janome now, and I think it does a decent job for the hobby seamstress and you may want to look into it.

Last edited by NaeKid; 07-26-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Moderator: Approved post
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
IlliniWarrior

Liked 197 Times on 98 Posts

IlliniWarrior is on a distinguished road

Janome makes a combo treadle/electric powered model also ..... it has a "free arm" type operation ..... usually sells for around the same $$$$ as the all treadle machine ....

a Mennonite distributor, in northern Indiana, sells either machine for $349 (includes shipping to the lower 48 states)

Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
DKRinAK
As smart as

Liked 151 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DKRinAK is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks - didn't know that Janome made a dual use machine.

I see these for sale even here (Alaska) but the last couple have been the nasty - cheap - Chinese knockoffs.

Still looking for a hand-crank retro-retro fit form my model 66.

Thanks for the pic!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3044 Times on 1500 Posts
Likes Given: 3284

*Andi is on a distinguished road

I have my Grams treadle machine, no one wanted it ... but me. (silly people )

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Salekdarling Likes This 
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
lovetogrow

Liked 608 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1087

lovetogrow is on a distinguished road

I've got my grandmother's treadle, same thing, nobody wanted it. I drove her crazy playing with her machine . She was a master seamstress in demand!

Thank you for the headsup historyhomesteader

Laughter is part of the human survival kit

Hebrews 13:5
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

*Andi Likes This 
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
kappydell

Liked 335 Times on 173 Posts

kappydell is on a distinguished road

there is an excellent web site: treadleon on google, it has much information on the care, feeding, repair, etc of treadle machines. Lots of good info including sources for parts!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
machinist
fixit guy

Liked 1054 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 629

machinist is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. We have thought about a new Janome and have an old treadle base for it. But we have a Singer treadle machine MADE IN THE 1960's !!! Made in Scotland, where they were still popular then. The really cool part is, parts interchange with my wife's electric Singer portable that she bought in 1965! The treadle machine won't reverse, though, like the old ones.

It seems like the further we get into self reliance, the more our place looks like Dad's in the 1950's. Got the wringer washing machine, hand well pump out back, wood stove, etc.. Smokehouse coming soon.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
Emerald
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 172 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Emerald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyhomesteader View Post

I'm sure that some of you already sew with non-electric machines, and to you all this is old news, because some people sew entirely with antique treadles. I just want to share this with those who haven't considered or explored non-electric machines yet.

The antique treadle machines are good, you can get them pretty cheap, and you could just about run over them with a tank and not damage them too much. When properly adjusted they make beautiful stitching. I have 2 treadle machine-heads and also a hand-cranked model.

After using my antique Singer treadle machine-head for a few projects, I really wanted a machine that would do a little more. I found out that Janome makes a non-electric "modern" machine intended for the Amish and other off-grid folks. I had an older electric Janome, which was a good machine, so I decided to try their treadle version.

The Janome is not the heavy, almost indestructible antique machine-head; it's made of plastic like most modern machines. Unlike the older treadles, however, it has adjustable stitch-length, zig-zags, and goes backwards. It has a button-hole feature as well. I must say the button-hole feature has not impressed me very much, but it DOES make them and I may just need to play with this more.

You mount this Janome on an antique stand, which you can pick up for about $25 in most areas, or you can buy a new treadle stand. The table is a bit of a problem. If you have an antique table on your stand, you may have to do a bit of retro-fitting to get the machine to sit correctly so that the leather drive-cord lines up. You can also buy a new table that fits this machine, which is what we did. It's not very good quality, but (other than the drawers, which were worthless), it's useable.

Remember: as with all non-electric machines, you'll need some source of light, like a window or some type of lamp. Too bad they can't rig a little generator on the treadle that also powers a tiny light-bulb! (Maybe some handy person out there could work on that!)

I've sewn several dresses for our little girl on the treadle-Janome now, and I think it does a decent job for the hobby seamstress and you may want to look into it.
you mean like this!!! I used to have one on my bike when younger but it had a head light and a tail light.
http://www.amazon.com/Factor-3-Inch-Bicycle-Generator-Light/dp/B003H3Z8CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343360068&sr=8-1&keywords=bicycle+lights+generator

Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
webeable

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

webeable is on a distinguished road

Lehman's sells this complete but a bit pricey.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Sewing_and_Quilting___Traditional_Tre adle_Sewing_Machine___sewmachine?Args=

Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Jerry D Young

Liked 152 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Jerry D Young is on a distinguished road

Bit more expensive, but also Amish made: http://www.cottagecraftworks.com/sewing-cabinets-amish-furniture-sewing-machine-cabinet-p-217.html

Just a thought.

Jerry D Young

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst and alwasys remember TANSTAAFL

("There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" - Robert Heinlein)

Quick Reply