You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Recipe Share >

Hay Box Dinner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
mdprepper
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 675 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

mdprepper is on a distinguished road
Default Hay Box Dinner

Thank you kappydell for the great recipes that you have posted.

For dinner tonight I made the Taco style lentils and rice from the bean recipe thread. On the same thread wrapped/hay box cooking was discussed. I figured "what the heck" and gave it a try.

TACO STYLE LENTILS & RICE (by kappydell)
3/4 cup dry lentils
3/4 cup brown rice
4 cups tap water
4 beef bouillon cubes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
In a 2-quart saucepan bring the water to a boil. As the water is heating, add the lentils, rice, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring the whole thing to a nice fat boil. Reduce the heat to low. Place a lid on the lentils and allow the mixture to simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes. The water should be mostly absorbed. You may serve this as it, topped with a little cheddar cheese if desired. Or you can use it to fill burritos or tacos instead. Both ways are very tasty.

I followed the instructions except I reduced the water to 2 2/3 cups (per the instructions to hay box cooking). I made this in my cast iron bean pot. Once it was at a boil, I put the lid on (so the lid would also get hot). Once the lid was hot, I put the whole thing in my makeshift hay box. For that I used a cooler that I lined with a towel and some blankets. I also put 2 long pieces of foil across the top blanket. I snugged the pot down in the center, closed the foil over the pot and pulled the blankets over and around it. Closed the cooler lid and went about my day. After 6 hours I opened it all up and found perfectly cooked lentils and rice.

I put the lentils and rice in a soft tortilla with some cheese. Rolled them up burrito style and covered them in a homemade enchilada sauce. Served with a fresh salad. Easy dinner!

Enchilada Sauce

1/4 c oil
2 Tbls flour
1/4 c chili powder
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
salt to taste

In a small sauce pan heat oil, flour and chili powder. Once that is bubbly slowly stir in the tomato sauce and water. Add the rest of ingredients and simmer until it thickens.

EDIT: I was not sure if I should have put this in recipes or not. The main point I was trying to get out was the "hay box" method I used.

Last edited by mdprepper; 02-08-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
kappydell

Liked 471 Times on 226 Posts

kappydell is on a distinguished road

Way to go! No-stress dinner!!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
JustCliff
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 452 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 282

JustCliff is on a distinguished road

That sounds pretty good and I just ate.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 3577 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1905

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprepper View Post
EDIT: I was not sure if I should have put this in recipes or not. The main point I was trying to get out was the "hay box" method I used.
Moved it to the Recipe section because you shared your recipe ...

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
Salekdarling

Liked 618 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 1948

Salekdarling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprepper View Post

Enchilada Sauce

1/4 c oil
2 Tbls flour
1/4 c chili powder
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
salt to taste

In a small sauce pan heat oil, flour and chili powder. Once that is bubbly slowly stir in the tomato sauce and water. Add the rest of ingredients and simmer until it thickens.

You're on my list of favorite persons for posting about enchilada sauce. One of my favorite sauces!

Quick Reply