You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Recipe Share >

Dinner from a Jar


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
ashley8072
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
 
ashley8072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 318
Liked 188 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 55

ashley8072 is on a distinguished road
Default Dinner from a Jar

I've been on this run lately of making what we call Easy Dinner. My Mom gave me a book called Gifts from a Jar years and years ago. Since my newly acquired dehydrator and vacuum sealer, I've started using it all the time. Ive set a goal for myself to make 100 of these to store before the New Year. I stick with recipes that require little work and ingredients when ready to make. I've found some, but not much, recipes online. I keep some in the cabinet for our own use, and then once a week I make about 4 dif meals 2 each. I vacuum seal them so they stack and/or lay flat. So I thought about some recipe shares and I'll start off with our family fav...apparently in the second post because my screen won't move.



__________________
The greatest risk in life is to wait for and depend upon others for your own security. ~Denis Waitley

Bloggity Blog Blog Geocaching, Prepping, and Minecraft.
ashley8072 is offline  
6
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
ashley8072
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
 
ashley8072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 318
Liked 188 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 55

ashley8072 is on a distinguished road
Default

Chicken and Rice Soup

1/2 c. Split peas or wild rice (I use reg instant rice usually)
2 tbs. minced onion
2 tbs. veggie flakes (I use 1/2 carrots and 1/2 celery)
2 tsp. chicken boullion crumbled
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic (however I've got it, minced or powdered)
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1 c. Brown rice (I use reg instant rice for this also)
1 bay leaf
(Layer all ingredients as listed if using jar, or just combine them in a container if using bags)
*Needed ingredients to cook: Listed Soup mix, 6-7 c. Water, 8oz tomato sauce, 1 can or cup cooked chopped chicken, salt and pepper..

1. Combine soup mix, water, tomato sauce in cook pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 min (determine how you want your veggies).
2. Add chicken. Heat thoroughly and simmer a few minutes til reached desired thickness. Remove Bay Leaf.
Makes 10-12 serv. it's quite a bit and very good.

Note: all soup mix ingredients are dry. I use all my own dehydrated stuff and when cooking make sure to test the veggies. I like mine a little tough, almost crunch like.



image-2186067631.jpg  

__________________
The greatest risk in life is to wait for and depend upon others for your own security. ~Denis Waitley

Bloggity Blog Blog Geocaching, Prepping, and Minecraft.
ashley8072 is offline  
8
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
neldarez
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png
 
neldarez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , out West
Posts: 1,669
Liked 2046 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 2032

neldarez is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley8072 View Post
Chicken and Rice Soup

1/2 c. Split peas or wild rice (I use reg instant rice usually)
2 tbs. minced onion
2 tbs. veggie flakes (I use 1/2 carrots and 1/2 celery)
2 tsp. chicken boullion crumbled
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic (however I've got it, minced or powdered)
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1 c. Brown rice (I use reg instant rice for this also)
1 bay leaf
(Layer all ingredients as listed if using jar, or just combine them in a container if using bags)
*Needed ingredients to cook: Listed Soup mix, 6-7 c. Water, 8oz tomato sauce, 1 can or cup cooked chopped chicken, salt and pepper..

1. Combine soup mix, water, tomato sauce in cook pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 min (determine how you want your veggies).
2. Add chicken. Heat thoroughly and simmer a few minutes til reached desired thickness. Remove Bay Leaf.
Makes 10-12 serv. it's quite a bit and very good.

Note: all soup mix ingredients are dry. I use all my own dehydrated stuff and when cooking make sure to test the veggies. I like mine a little tough, almost crunch like.
absolutely awesome! I'm going to make this....thanks
__________________
neldarez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Sentry18
Hired Gun
PS_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sentry18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,621
Liked 18637 Times on 5490 Posts
Likes Given: 7345

Sentry18 is on a distinguished road
Default

You know my wife makes jar things all the time for gifts (like hot cocoa, brownie mix, etc., etc.). Never thought about making them with a soup mix or other meal. I also never thought of putting them in a vacuum seal bag. I am so impressed I will overlook the fact that you like Glocks.

__________________
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius
Sentry18 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
ashley8072
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
 
ashley8072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 318
Liked 188 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 55

ashley8072 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18
You know my wife makes jar things all the time for gifts (like hot cocoa, brownie mix, etc., etc.). Never thought about making them with a soup mix or other meal. I also never thought of putting them in a vacuum seal bag. I am so impressed I will overlook the fact that you like Glocks.
Aah, Glock. My right hand friends.

Actually I've done some brownie mix too, but mostly in bags for storage. I've also done my own Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, which turned out really great!

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

1 c. Oatmeal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. Sliced almonds (I did some with and without)
1/4 c. Dehydrated apples chopped

Best if you let soak a few minutes before turning on the heat (softens the apples). Cook like any stovetop oatmeal.

This is a layered recipe, but I doubled some up and made large batches and small in bags. I also added sugar to them. I'm gonna try adding a little bit of powdered milk to my next ones I make.
__________________
The greatest risk in life is to wait for and depend upon others for your own security. ~Denis Waitley

Bloggity Blog Blog Geocaching, Prepping, and Minecraft.
ashley8072 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
AuroraHawk
Okie from Michigan via Alaska!
 
AuroraHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 415
Liked 194 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 210

AuroraHawk is on a distinguished road
Default

Very nice! Have you tried dehydrating chicken? It may be possible to get that recipe to the point of needing only water when ready to cook it.

Would it be possible to get you to share the title of the recipe book?


__________________
I believe in survival of the fittest and plan for us to be among the fittest.
AuroraHawk is offline  
tleeh1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
mma800
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: , Massachusetts
Posts: 130
Liked 77 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 42

mma800 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks for the chicken and rice recipe. I am going to mix some up this weekend! Would you please post some others, especially the Texas 2 step?
Thanks!


__________________
mma800 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
ashley8072
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
 
ashley8072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 318
Liked 188 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 55

ashley8072 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraHawk
Very nice! Have you tried dehydrating chicken? It may be possible to get that recipe to the point of needing only water when ready to cook it.

Would it be possible to get you to share the title of the recipe book?
The title is called Gifts From a Jar. It's a binder book, brown and tan. Came with raffia and cloth for making the gifts for like 2 I think. I've def thought about dehydrating the chicken, I have yet to experiment with that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma800
Thanks for the chicken and rice recipe. I am going to mix some up this weekend! Would you please post some others, especially the Texas 2 step?
Thanks!
Sure. I'll get that up in just a bit
image-2172086630.jpg  

__________________
The greatest risk in life is to wait for and depend upon others for your own security. ~Denis Waitley

Bloggity Blog Blog Geocaching, Prepping, and Minecraft.
ashley8072 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
ashley8072
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
 
ashley8072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 318
Liked 188 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 55

ashley8072 is on a distinguished road
Default

Texas Two-Step Soup mix

1 (1.61 oz) pkg brown gravy mix
2 tbs. chili powder (any heat you prefer)
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. minced onion
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
10-12 tortilla chips coarsely crushed (round bite size ones best)
1 - 1 1/4 c. Small-medium pasta (I've used egg noodles and macaroni before)
1 tbs dried corn
1 tbs. dried bell pepper
*Needed ingredients: 8 c. Water, 1/2 lb cooked ground beef.

- Add all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 hours, or until pasta is cooked. (Mines usually done around 30min)


__________________
The greatest risk in life is to wait for and depend upon others for your own security. ~Denis Waitley

Bloggity Blog Blog Geocaching, Prepping, and Minecraft.
ashley8072 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
cpiano
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

cpiano is on a distinguished road
Default

I have made several of these. http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/p/52-method-recipe.html We really like the stroganoff from here.

I have the same book mentioned and really like it as well. The chicken and rice is great. The thing is that these are such great time savers. I do not buy the dried chicken or any other meat because I have lots of canned on my shelves. I just add a note to the outside of the jar that I need to add a pint of chicken or ground beef or whatever.

My question.....has anyone tried dehydrating their own brown rice and adding it to something like the OP listed? If so, I would love to know the results and whether we could benefit from saving the leftovers and using them as the OP suggests.

Thanks for starting this thread!! Hopefully, others will have other sources to share!




__________________
cpiano is offline  
weedygarden Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hay Box Dinner mdprepper Recipe Share 4 02-12-2012 03:01 AM
What are you having for Thanksgiving dinner catsraven General Chit-Chat 36 11-27-2011 03:15 PM
Cowboy Dinner NaeKid Recipe Share 20 01-06-2011 12:28 AM
dinner tonight...but how would you cook it? SurviveNthrive General Food and Foraging Discussion 13 12-06-2010 11:33 PM
Deer backstrap dinner NaeKid Recipe Share 7 09-15-2010 07:09 PM