Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Recipe Share > Dandelion Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
mdprepper
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 654 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

mdprepper is on a distinguished road
Default Dandelion Wine

As I see all of the happy little dandelions running rampant through the neighborhood, my thoughts turn to what I can use them for. A quick search of PS forums gave me a link to dandelion syrup and tips on eating the greens. http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f36/what-uses-dandelion-6182/ Alas, no one has shared a recipe for making Dandelion Wine.

I remember my Grandmom Dot having it on hand all the time, but her recipe is lost. Would anyone care to share a tried and true recipe and instructions, tips?

Please keep in mind I have never made wine before and I would like to not have to buy any special tools or ingredients (I am cheap, I mean..frugal).

Can I reuse empty wine bottles (with screw on lids) for the finished product or would I need special, new bottles with lids?

Thank you!

Last edited by mdprepper; 04-09-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Toffee

Liked 649 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Toffee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprepper
As I see all of the happy little dandelions running rampant through the neighborhood, my thoughts turn to what I can use them for. A quick search of PS forums gave me a link to dandelion syrup and tips on eating the greens. http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f36/what-uses-dandelion-6182/ Alas, no one has shared a recipe for making Dandelion Wine.

I remember my Grandmom Dot having it on hand all the time, but her recipe is lost. Would anyone care to share a tried and true recipe and instructions, tips?

Please keep in mind I have never made wine before and I would like to not have to buy any special tools or ingredients (I am cheap, I mean..frugal).

Can I reuse empty wine bottles (with screw on lids) for the finished product or would I need special, new bottles with lids?

Thank you!
Well, I can't answer anything specific, but if you can't get answers here then maybe try a local beer/wine making shop. And I would actually use bottles with corks and wax if it were me. That way you can get a good seal.

"I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones/Enough to make my systems blow/Welcome to the new age, to the new age" - Imagine Dragons

Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
HillbillyPrep
I'd Rather be Fishin'

Liked 23 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

HillbillyPrep is on a distinguished road

I've made quite a bit of blackberry, peach, grape and even cantalope wine but never dandelion wine. If it runs the same as fruit it would be:

4 lbs. fruit
12 lbs. sugar
2 packs dry yeast

Pour ingredients into a 5 gal. bucket
Add water to about 3 inches from the top of the top of the bucket. Tap or spring water is fine.

For the first seven days the mixture needs to be stirred twice a day.

At some point during the seven days you'll need to drill a 3/8" hole in the middle of the lid and find some 3/8" hose to insert into the hole in the lid about half inch deep.

On the seventh day when you have stirred it the second time seal the lid air-tight. It HAS to be air-tight.

The hose you inserted in the lid can now be run to a water bottle with water in it. This method allows for the pressure that builds up in the bucket to escape. You'll hear it bubbling every so often, that means its working.

Let it sit in a place where it won't get too cold or hot for six weeks.

After the six weeks it may still be building pressure in the bucket so I let it sit for about seven or eight weeks just to make sure. If you bottle it and pressure is still building it could git ugly. i've seen bottle explode when folks try to bottle too soon.

You can taste it after the six weeks but it seems to get better the longer it sits.

We use a paint strainer to put it in 1/2 gal mason jars and let it sit for a few days before siphoning it into wine bottles. That allows the smallest particles to settle to the bottom of the mason jars and produces a very clear wine.
I re-use bottles and corks. As a matter of fact most of my family and friends stop by for a re-fill quite often.

You really don't have to use wine bottles. Jars with lids would work too.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
md1911

Liked 72 Times on 45 Posts

md1911 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyPrep
I've made quite a bit of blackberry, peach, grape and even cantalope wine but never dandelion wine. If it runs the same as fruit it would be:

4 lbs. fruit
12 lbs. sugar
2 packs dry yeast

Pour ingredients into a 5 gal. bucket
Add water to about 3 inches from the top of the top of the bucket. Tap or spring water is fine.

For the first seven days the mixture needs to be stirred twice a day.

At some point during the seven days you'll need to drill a 3/8" hole in the middle of the lid and find some 3/8" hose to insert into the hole in the lid about half inch deep.

On the seventh day when you have stirred it the second time seal the lid air-tight. It HAS to be air-tight.

The hose you inserted in the lid can now be run to a water bottle with water in it. This method allows for the pressure that builds up in the bucket to escape. You'll hear it bubbling every so often, that means its working.

Let it sit in a place where it won't get too cold or hot for six weeks.

After the six weeks it may still be building pressure in the bucket so I let it sit for about seven or eight weeks just to make sure. If you bottle it and pressure is still building it could git ugly. i've seen bottle explode when folks try to bottle too soon.

You can taste it after the six weeks but it seems to get better the longer it sits.

We use a paint strainer to put it in 1/2 gal mason jars and let it sit for a few days before siphoning it into wine bottles. That allows the smallest particles to settle to the bottom of the mason jars and produces a very clear wine.
I re-use bottles and corks. As a matter of fact most of my family and friends stop by for a re-fill quite often.

You really don't have to use wine bottles. Jars with lids would work too.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free.
That sounds abou like the same recipe I use.. I was going to look for it when I got home. The main differance is I use 1 gallon jugs and put a cheap condom on the moth of the jar. It will expand as the gas builds up then deflate. I know its ready when the condom dosnt look like a party baloon.

speak softley and carry a big stick

Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3313 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3478

*Andi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprepper View Post
As I see all of the happy little dandelions running rampant through the neighborhood, my thoughts turn to what I can use them for.
On a side note ... (sorry, can't help myself. )

If you are going to gather in the neighborhood check to make sure no one has been out with the chemical spray or other treatments. () You know that prefect lawn and all... It is that time of the year.

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
CulexPipiens
Still waiting for the zombies.

Liked 1003 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 745

CulexPipiens is on a distinguished road

This year I've been making Dandelion Syrup... well actually I've been trying to make jelly but it refuses to gel. I'm going to try a different brand of pectin for my next batch. I've made up about 2 1/2 quarts of syrup so far. After tasting it, very delicious, my wife is now thinking of trying to make wine so I will pass along the above recipe to her (and any other ones that get posted).

Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Guardian

Liked 56 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Guardian is on a distinguished road

Some good ones HERE.

Last edited by *Andi; 04-10-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Moderator: Approved post

Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
mdprepper
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 654 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

mdprepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Andi View Post
On a side note ... (sorry, can't help myself. )

If you are going to gather in the neighborhood check to make sure no one has been out with the chemical spray or other treatments. () You know that prefect lawn and all... It is that time of the year.
Yup, thought of that too. I am more concerned with trying to avoid where the neighborhood dogs have been

Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3313 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3478

*Andi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdprepper View Post
Yup, thought of that too. I am more concerned with trying to avoid where the neighborhood dogs have been
Good point!

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Moose33
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 360 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Moose33 is on a distinguished road

This thread made me smile. My Grandma used to keep a pint of dandelion wine in the back of her crisper drawer, behind the lettuce. For medicinal purposes only of course. She always made daddy keep his beer in the same place.
Take care,
Moose

Tags
dandelion, dandelion wine

Quick Reply