Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Recipe Share > Cast iron and you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #121
goshengirl
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2996 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 9869

goshengirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
You don't need to spend very much at all for the cookware. I have found it at BassPro for reasonable amount of coin, at dollar-stores and at many thrift-stores as well. Just keep your eyes open when you are out-n-about and you will be amazed at what is available.
I've seen Lodge Logic cast iron at Krogers. Still kicking myself for not getting it when it was 40% off on sale. Keeping my eyes open for that to happen again!

"These are the times that try men's souls." - Thomas Paine
Swagbucks
A Soapbox With a View

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #122
Hopetobeready

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hopetobeready is on a distinguished road
Default Cast iron cooking

Just a question on Cast Iron Cooking. I would like to be able to make yeast bread without the oven. Could I do that in a Dutch Oven?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #123
NaeKid
YourAdministrator, eh?
PS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2671 Times on 1415 Posts
Likes Given: 1526

NaeKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobeready View Post
Just a question on Cast Iron Cooking. I would like to be able to make yeast bread without the oven. Could I do that in a Dutch Oven?
I believe that there is a thread dedicated to DutchOven cooking and there are recipes for all kinds of ways to cook up the meals, breads and cakes (pies) ... now I am hungry again!

Ready or not, trouble comes. Being prepared for it and having the right attitude to deal with the issues is what makes us prepared. Having stuff is just a bonus!

The problem with society today is that the people who deserve the beating are not given the beating they deserve.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #124
Moby76065
Texan!

Liked 517 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Moby76065 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopetobeready View Post
You certainly can

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Easy-No-Knead-Bread-Video.aspx

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Easy-No-Knead-Bread-Video.aspx

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/dutch-oven-crusty-bread/

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&cp=13&gs_id=1h&xhr=t& q=Dutch+Oven+bread&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Dutch+Oven+br&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r _pw.r_qf.&fp=cd12dc2f43b8d189&biw=1135&bih=769
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

AND NEVER DIE ON YOUR KNEES!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #125
DJgang
I put SAs on IGNORE!

Liked 1238 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

DJgang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissy0740 View Post
Kyredneck, what is that pan for in the back, looks like a mini muffin? Someone picked me up one at a yard sale, bad shape and the one has a hole in it?? Was wondering what it is for and if I can still use the pan even though one has a hole in it. I of course, wont put any food in that part.
I think it's a full size muffin, 12.

I have a 6 one almost just like it. Use it for corn bread muffins. I don't see why you couldn't use the one you've got, you'll just have 11 instead of 12.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #126
cas4green
Newb w/ skills

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

cas4green is on a distinguished road

Wanted to ask what is the rectangle pot at the top right of rabidcoyote666's picture? Is it a type of roaster or just a non-round DO?

Also, this coming Feb. we are heading to Mich. and plan to stop by the Lodge Foundry....is there anything I should look for there that would be harder to find anywhere else. As we live near Augusta we have many stores that carry cast iron like Academy, Kroger, Ace, of course 8 Walmarts, and so on!

This was an awesome read with many helpful posts!

Husband, Daddy, Stooge....NYUK X3

Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #127
Startingout-Blair

Liked 356 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Startingout-Blair is on a distinguished road

I always wanted to get a 2'x3' (just a guesstimate) flat iron grill that I could use to cook for many people. I can never seem to find them

Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #128
mdprepper
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 652 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

mdprepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas4green View Post
Wanted to ask what is the rectangle pot at the top right of rabidcoyote666's picture? Is it a type of roaster or just a non-round DO?
It looks like a loaf pan to me, but I could be wrong.

There are 4 boxes we can use to preserve Liberty: Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo. Please use in that order
-Unknown

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #129
webeable

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

webeable is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingout-Blair View Post
I always wanted to get a 2'x3' (just a guesstimate) flat iron grill that I could use to cook for many people. I can never seem to find them
Bought mine at Lehman;s years ago.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #130
jerkso

jerkso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
The only cooking surface that is available now that is inert to the cooking transfer of surface to food is ... glass.
FYI, glass despite it appearing so, is quite far from inert. And perhaps to assist those who may insist otherwise I suggest a simple experiment.

Take two small glass jars or whatever you can find, i do not propose you smash bottles to get glass pieces. Just two glass containers of your liking. Now a 5ml tube of superglue, put the glue on a surface and attach the second glass item.

Now i am glossing over the best ways of using glues and process such as roughing the surface. But go do whatever your thing is in sticking glass together. Now once the glue has cured you will have what you think is a pretty firmly attached pair of bottles.

Clean up and put this aside and come check on it every day for about a week. You will sooner rather than later find that the glue will degrade and release its bond with one or both surfaces. Even low stress handling will cause this break.

Actually small edit: just FYI you should not really consider altering our opinions away from glasses seemingly inert status. It is by far the most stable and NON Toxic materials to store food and water in. The extremely low level processes that i mentioned are not to my knowledge going to cause any real sort of impact that you might need to take into consideration. Cheers. sorry to nit pick

Glasses leach alkalies which neutralise's the glues structure until it fails. Using epoxy when it comes to needing an adhesive for glass surfaces is the best solution. Epoxy type materials are not so susceptible or are entirely unaffected by this process. Not all epoxy's are created or best for any or all situations so do your research when selecting epoxy as a solution.

Anyways... way big post. hope it helps. But be assured glass is not inert even at room temperature.

Tags
cast iron

Quick Reply