Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Recipe Share > Canning in Half Gallon Jars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
kappydell

Liked 353 Times on 179 Posts

kappydell is on a distinguished road
Default Canning in Half Gallon Jars

it seems nobody except amish families and other large families can in half-gallon jars anymore. Even the jar companies will not give out recipes for anything other than apple or grape juice in half-gallon jars - they have not tested them.

However, for the adventurous, as late as 1982 the Kerr Home Canning & Freezing Guide gave guidelines for using half gallon jars for canning. “Backwoods Home” magazine canner Jackie Clay confirms these times and adds in her articles that as long as the food is boiling hot when you put it in the jars, and you can it right away (packing hot into hot jars, and keeping it hot) you should get good results.
Use the usual check for spoilage when opening: appearance, spurts and smell; then simmer 15 min to be sure.

The guidelines say that you add:
10 min to quart jar times for water bath canned acid foods
5 min to quart jar times for pressure canned acid foods
20% more time to quart jar times for non-acid pressure canned foods
So I did the math and here are my calculations:
(On this chart, BW means processed in boiling water bath, 10# means processed under 10 pounds of pressure)

PRODUCE
Apples BW 35 min
Applesauce BW 35 min
Apricots BW 40 min
Asparagus 10# 40 min
Beans, snap 10# 35 min
Beans, lima 10# 60 min
Beets 10# 48 min
Berries, except strawberries BW 30 min
Bruss. Sprouts 10# 40 min
Broccoli 10# 48 min
Cabbage 10# 40 min
Carrots 10# 36 min
Cauliflower 10# 48 min
Cherries BW 35 min
Corn, kernel 10# 102 min.
Cranberries BW 25 min
Currants BW 30 min
Eggplant 10# 48 min
Fruit, dried BW 25 min
Figs BW 50 min
Grapes BW 30 min
Greens 10# 108 min
Fruit Juice BW add 10 min to quart time
Grapefruit BW 30 min
Hominy 10# 96 min
Nectarines BW 35 min
Okra 10# 48 min
Onions 10# 48 min
Peas 10# 48 min

Peaches BW 40 min
Pears BW 40 min
Peppers, sweet 5# 72 min
Pickles BW add 10 min to quart time
Pineapple BW 40 min
Plums BW 30 min
Potatoes 10# 48 min
Pumpkin 10# 108 min
Rhubarb BW 25 min
Rutabagas 10# 36 min
Soybeans 10# 96 min
Strawberries BW 25 min
Sweet potatoes, wet packed10# 168 min
Squash, summer 10# 36 min
Squash, winter 10# 108 min
Tomatoes BW 55 min
Tomato juice BW 25 min
Tomatoes, stewed BW 65min

MEATS & CONVENIENCE FOODS
Beef 10# 108 min
Stew Chunks, any meat 10# 90 min
Fish 10# 108 min
Game 10# 108 min
Ham 10# 108 min
Lamb,veal 10# 108 min
Pork 10# 108 min
Poultry 10# 108 min
Sausage 10# 108 mi
Tenderloin 10# 108 min
Venison 10# 108 min
Bean soup 10# 72 min
Bean & Bacon soup 10# 75 min
Beans, baked 10# 75 min
Chicken soup 10# 60 min
Hamburger sauce 10# 108 min
Italian meat sauce 10# 90 min
Soup stock 10# 36 min
Tomato sauce 10# 45 min
Veg. Beef Stew 10# 90 min

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM THIS POST. IT IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY, AND YOU USE SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, AS WITH ALL CANNING RECIPES. (So I don't want all the home canning folks screaming about the USDA guidelines, as I already know them quite well.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
LilRedHen

Liked 172 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

LilRedHen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappydell View Post
it seems nobody except amish families and other large families can in half-gallon jars anymore. Even the jar companies will not give out recipes for anything other than apple or grape juice in half-gallon jars - they have not tested them.
Thanks for the info. I saw six half-gallon wide mouth jars yesterday at Ace Hardware for $10.99. Then I looked at the price of a dozen wide mouth flats and rings and they were $5.49. I would like to have them, but thought the price was ridiculous.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
Emerald
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Emerald is on a distinguished road

I love my half gallons.. I do not can in them tho.. I use them for vacpacking dry goods that I use more often.. Like powdered sugar/brown sugar/honey/maple syrup and herbs.
I also like them for sun tea for me just enuf for one day.
I prefer wide mouth as they are much easier to clean but I have small mouth ones also..
The $10.99 you found them at is a reasonable price as they are much more expensive around here.. more like$12.99 to $14 even for a six of the half gallons.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
timmie
timmie

Liked 161 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 592

timmie is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info .i have added it my growing library.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
*Andi
PS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3126 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 3336

*Andi is on a distinguished road

My Grandmother used half-gallon jars for canning but when you have a large family, you can for your family size.

I'm like Emerald, I use them for dry goods or goat milk. They also come in handy for tea and other drinks around the holiday season.

Homesteading ... it's a way of life.

"I am the momma-bear your daddy warned you about" ...

"Aim small, miss small"

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3946 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 1851

Davarm is on a distinguished road

I inherited my grandmothers (small mouth)half gallon jars, they were her, and now my, pickle jars. All I am able to do in them besides pickles is hot water baths, cant afford a canner tall enough to hold them. Its a bear packing those small mouths with cucumbers for dill pickles though.

The local Gibsons carries just about all the canning supplies you could ever want, kinda pricey for the most part though. They do stock the half gallon wide mouths with lids and rings for $11.99 a six pack. I have a few dozen in addition to those I inherited, would not trade them in for just about anything.

Thank you for the guides, will put it in my book in case I happen to find myself with a canner that will hold the jars.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
cybergranny

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

cybergranny is on a distinguished road

That's an awesome price for half gal jars. They come with the lids and rings and then you can watch for sales on lids for when you need new ones. You save and reuse the rings.

My grandmother canned meat in 1/2 gal jars. My mom said she had this large copper oval shaped kettle. She could remember how long she boiled it for; but said the meat was always delicious. My grand mother raised 17 children on the farm. Now I'm a great grandmother and just really canning 3 years ago. I saw one of those copper kettles on ebay and sure was tempted. I use my 1/2 gal jars for dry goods and sun pickles.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
timmie
timmie

Liked 161 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 592

timmie is on a distinguished road

my great grandmother also did sun pickles. i haven't thought about them in a long time.would you mind sharing you recipe so i can make them and see if they are as good as i remember,please?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
kathyprepper

Liked 34 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

kathyprepper is on a distinguished road

Please don't consider canning meat or anything else low acid in anything but an approved pressure canner. There are reasons for most of the USDA's guidlines. It's not possible to check the internal temp of 1/2 gallon jars. I teach canning classes and have a web site where I talk about it a whole lot. One of my biggest hurdles is getting people to understand that just because your grandmother didn't die doesn't mean you won't.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Davarm
Texan
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3946 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 1851

Davarm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyprepper View Post
Please don't consider canning meat or anything else low acid in anything but an approved pressure canner. There are reasons for most of the USDA's guidlines. It's not possible to check the internal temp of 1/2 gallon jars. I teach canning classes and have a web site where I talk about it a whole lot. One of my biggest hurdles is getting people to understand that just because your grandmother didn't die doesn't mean you won't.
Have you posted the web address for your site? Lately I have been spending less time reading posts and more time in the garden so I may have missed it if you have.

I have been canning for a long time but am not old and cranky enough "yet" to close myself off to learning something new.

Quick Reply