You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Prepared Society!    
Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > General Survival Discussion >

Dams After SHTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
d_saum
ExCommunicated

Liked 188 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 857

d_saum is on a distinguished road
Default Dams After SHTF?

So.. what exactly would happen to dams that form man-made lakes if the power went out via EMP or what have you? Would water just simply build up and flow over the top? Or would the flood gates open? (Forgive my ignorance as I have no idea how dams work).

I mean.. I assume there's a run-off thing on the side of most dams, and that nothing would really happen at all... but I'm curious since there are quite a few dams around here, and my BOL (even though I really plan on bugging IN unless it gets REALLY bad) is below 2 dams, and above a third.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
CA357
Supporting Member

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 163

CA357 is on a distinguished road

That's an interesting question and worthy of discussion. Thanks for posing it.

I'll be watching this thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
cowboyhermit
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 4327 Times on 2064 Posts
Likes Given: 3239

cowboyhermit is on a distinguished road

I can't speak for all areas and types to be sure, but most that I know of have spillways that can handle the appropriate amounts of water to avoid catastrophic failure. I am sure if they weren't being operated some would fail as to how many and over what time period
Important to think about, especially if they might affect your area.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
oldasrocks

Liked 807 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 6

oldasrocks is on a distinguished road

It all depends if the gates automatically close or open when electricity fails.

Overflow or flood gates that aren't able to open might create a problem of excessive stress on the dams.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
hiwall
Just walking at the edge of my grave

Liked 6826 Times on 2488 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

hiwall is on a distinguished road

I agree with cowboyhermit. Most/all have spillways that have nothing to do with any moving parts(like gates). If you have one upstream from your house the logical thing would be to go look at it and see where the water would go if it built way up.

Times are tough - keep your powder dry

When is doomsday gonna get here?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
BillS

Liked 3467 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 335

BillS is on a distinguished road

Much of the country is drier than normal. I wonder how many parts of the country would be wet enough for dams to be affected.

Life is hard but God is good.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
bacpacker

Liked 768 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 2580

bacpacker is on a distinguished road

This bears some investigation. My house is above the dam that would affect us. But with as many as we have around here it would royally screw things up. Most of the dams around here have manual flood gates. We had 7+ inches of rain above normal this January and after the main channel was lowered, all the reseviors were spilled to lower them to allow for more containment during the spring rains. I tend to think if they were not functional they lake would rise till it topped the dam. I would think long term the this would erode the concrete rather quickly, probably erode the anchor points on either side as well.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
cnsper

Liked 3314 Times on 1101 Posts
Likes Given: 2186

cnsper is on a distinguished road

Without continuous maintenance, they will eventually fail. The upkeep is critical. There is one on the Cumberland River in KY that is leaking around the edges NOW and they are working on a fix for it but without that work that dam will fail.

**When government expands, liberty contracts - Ronald Regan
**If ignorance were gun powder, you would be a weapon of mass destruction.
**Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
HamiltonFelix
Part Time Good Guy

Liked 207 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 6

HamiltonFelix is on a distinguished road

This is an interesting question. I'm writing this from the control room of Ross Powerhouse were I began my career on Monday April 29, 1974. I've been in Hydro Operation for a while. The generating plants that were here in the 1960's and some in the early 70's would be recoverable after an EMP. Today's plants would be toast. For decades now, I've watched bad Engineering decisons wreck the reliability of generating plants. I've seen processor driven automated systems replace manual controls, the manual controls removed, then the only Engineer that understood the new system at all leave the utility to go to another state.

Generally, gates do not open automatically. And, given that emergency generators at the dams have electronic controls these days, getting power to open them would be a challenge after an EMP. It's theoretically possible to crank open the two 72" butterfly spill valves in the center of Ross Dam and the three 78" butterfly valves in the center of Diablo Dam, using hand wheels. But it would take a good crew a full day of constant cranking for some of them. For the spillgates you need power. For 16 of the 19 gates at Diablo you need to push a 5,300 lb. "mule" onto the dam, hook it up to power and use its hydraulic grapples to lift the gates. THe two 47 by 500 ft. gates at Gorge need power for a 15hp three phase motor, and even its lower outlets are gates that need power.

Most concrete masonry dams are well constructed and can withstand a certain amount of overtopping, but it won't do them any good or make recovery any easier.

As to the generating plants, if we have battery power or other stored energy (sometimes a pressure accumulator) to close the penstock valves, or opportunity to put gate locks in place, we can keep the generators from spinning up and damaging themselves as all power and pressure on the gate servos is lost. If the plant has a functioning water powered sump eductor and we turn it on, we should be able to keep the powerhouse from flooding as long as there is water in the power tunnel.

The dams themselves are built to last. Concrete is weird stuff, it never really stops curing, only slows down. At 50-80 years, good concrete is very good, indeed. At 150 years, it may actually be getting a bit brittle.

I don't see these plants as recoverable from EMP in less than... well years, if major equipment is damaged and more has to be ordered, built and transported. Working around delicate electronics to get something running could be done in weeks or months, but that requires some materials, too. And it requires a full time operating staff that no longer exists. The solid state exciters common on modern generators would not fare well in an EMP event. No excitation means that big alternator does not make much power.

With the generators down for the count, our biggest immediate challenge would be configuring the dams to not be overtopped and perhaps to function as some degree of flood control. Example: the water behind Ross is 82 feet below full right now, because the storage reservoir cycles seasonally. If we could get enough lower outlets opened, leaving space for the lakes to fill before getting close to the tops of the dams, we could still use the dams to even out some of the peaks during flood season. But as far as power, don't hold your breath.

Federal law requires us to have an "Emergency Action Plan" for the event of a dam breaking or threatening to break. It does not require us to have a plan that would work in an earthquake. We are not required to plan for an EMP event. If we have a solar event like the one in 1859, I'd say our society is back to about the year 1900.

I am my utility's most senior Hydroelectric Operator. I collect kerosene lamps. Think about it.

In most of our critical infrastructure, not just the electrical industry, we see the skilled blue collar people who keep it working gettting older and older and finally retiring. Very few youngsters are coming up through the ranks. Recently, it gave me pleasure to see two bright young Apprentices "top out" and become Journeyman Electrician Constructors. But this was in a time and place where it should have been a dozen, not two. Physical assets are not being adequately maintained. "Managment" is more and more the political type who will postpone maintenance and upgrades to cut costs. The term "crumbling infrastructure" is accurate. But perhaps equally important is the loss of institutional knowledge and experience as the most experienced people are leaving, or in some cases being driven out, without adequately trained and experienced replacements coming aboard.

We live in a nation of MBA's who cannot wire a house, fall a tree, or even change a tire or drive a nail. Brace yourselves.

People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
seanallen

Liked 179 Times on 104 Posts

seanallen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonFelix
This is an interesting question. I'm writing this from the control room of Ross Powerhouse were I began my career on Monday April 29, 1974. I've been in Hydro Operation for a while. The generating plants that were here in the 1960's and some in the early 70's would be recoverable after an EMP. Today's plants would be toast. For decades now, I've watched bad Engineering decisons wreck the reliability of generating plants. I've seen processor driven automated systems replace manual controls, the manual controls removed, then the only Engineer that understood the new system at all leave the utility to go to another state.

Generally, gates do not open automatically. And, given that emergency generators at the dams have electronic controls these days, getting power to open them would be a challenge after an EMP. It's theoretically possible to crank open the two 72" butterfly spill valves in the center of Ross Dam and the three 78" butterfly valves in the center of Diablo Dam, using hand wheels. But it would take a good crew a full day of constant cranking for some of them. For the spillgates you need power. For 16 of the 19 gates at Diablo you need to push a 5,300 lb. "mule" onto the dam, hook it up to power and use its hydraulic grapples to lift the gates. THe two 47 by 500 ft. gates at Gorge need power for a 15hp three phase motor, and even its lower outlets are gates that need power.

Most concrete masonry dams are well constructed and can withstand a certain amount of overtopping, but it won't do them any good or make recovery any easier.

As to the generating plants, if we have battery power or other stored energy (sometimes a pressure accumulator) to close the penstock valves, or opportunity to put gate locks in place, we can keep the generators from spinning up and damaging themselves as all power and pressure on the gate servos is lost. If the plant has a functioning water powered sump eductor and we turn it on, we should be able to keep the powerhouse from flooding as long as there is water in the power tunnel.

The dams themselves are built to last. Concrete is weird stuff, it never really stops curing, only slows down. At 50-80 years, good concrete is very good, indeed. At 150 years, it may actually be getting a bit brittle.

I don't see these plants as recoverable from EMP in less than... well years, if major equipment is damaged and more has to be ordered, built and transported. Working around delicate electronics to get something running could be done in weeks or months, but that requires some materials, too. And it requires a full time operating staff that no longer exists. The solid state exciters common on modern generators would not fare well in an EMP event. No excitation means that big alternator does not make much power.

With the generators down for the count, our biggest immediate challenge would be configuring the dams to not be overtopped and perhaps to function as some degree of flood control. Example: the water behind Ross is 82 feet below full right now, because the storage reservoir cycles seasonally. If we could get enough lower outlets opened, leaving space for the lakes to fill before getting close to the tops of the dams, we could still use the dams to even out some of the peaks during flood season. But as far as power, don't hold your breath.

Federal law requires us to have an "Emergency Action Plan" for the event of a dam breaking or threatening to break. It does not require us to have a plan that would work in an earthquake. We are not required to plan for an EMP event. If we have a solar event like the one in 1859, I'd say our society is back to about the year 1900.

I am my utility's most senior Hydroelectric Operator. I collect kerosene lamps. Think about it.

In most of our critical infrastructure, not just the electrical industry, we see the skilled blue collar people who keep it working gettting older and older and finally retiring. Very few youngsters are coming up through the ranks. Recently, it gave me pleasure to see two bright young Apprentices "top out" and become Journeyman Electrician Constructors. But this was in a time and place where it should have been a dozen, not two. Physical assets are not being adequately maintained. "Managment" is more and more the political type who will postpone maintenance and upgrades to cut costs. The term "crumbling infrastructure" is accurate. But perhaps equally important is the loss of institutional knowledge and experience as the most experienced people are leaving, or in some cases being driven out, without adequately trained and experienced replacements coming aboard.

We live in a nation of MBA's who cannot wire a house, fall a tree, or even change a tire or drive a nail. Brace yourselves.
I know exactly what you mean. Its hard to get electrician apprentices to stay the course. Ive been training these kids in residential and commercial for a few years now. Everytime they get to a certain level of training and responsibility, the boss doubles the load on them but wont pay them any extra. Hes making a stinkin killing and running off potentially great future tradesmen all in the name of short term profits. I tried to explain how this was to his detriment, but the discussion quickly devolved to him telling me to hit the gate if i didnt like it. Smh...

Quick Reply