Prepper, Survival, Homesteading Forum > Preparedness & Survival Forums > Communications > True 30 mile range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Shammua
No Effort No Rewards, Big Effort Big Rewards

Liked 76 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Shammua is on a distinguished road
Default True 30 mile range

OK I know this has been beaten to death over and over, but here goes again anyway. Maybe a new spin this time?

Is there anything out there that could be used for commo gear that DOESN'T require a license that can get a true 30 mile range (not on the open desert, but around urban, and outdoors) , be mobile (vehicle mounted if needed, handheld slave to vehicle if needed), and not cost 10minutes of our deficit interest.

Basically what I am looking for is something that has great range so I can talk to and practice our commo opsec now, and when TSHTF we can still have our set comms for when those of our group are geographically removed can contact us when in vicinity.

We have several locations setup and none of us have the EXACT location for all of them. So we have to be able to establish comms when in range to get carried into home.

For those that have had a few to many or are just slow on the up take, here is what I mean.

TSHTF and it's time to bug out. My family and I pack up and get buggin, however when we get to the location that we know about we find out it has been compromised (how doesn't matter here, just play along). So it's time to move on to another area. Well even with our compromised location the bad guys don't have anything to use because all we have is a region. So I live in Virignia Beach and we head west. One of our BOL's is in TN lets say. Well the only thing I know is an area on a map, and a memorized radio freq.

We get to the designated area and following op sec we broadcast as preset and wait for response. Once we get a response, we have someone come get us and we follow into safety.

So what I am asking for is a radio that we can get that will allow us to do this reasonably well without costing thousands of dollars to get. Or tons of silver, ounces of gold, or to much bartering to make happen. :P

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
DKRinAK
As smart as

Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 13

DKRinAK is on a distinguished road
Default Star trek

The fast answer is - No.

The last set of Communicators I had to dump because the unobtainum batteries couldn't be recharged.

You have very little choice for non-license radio coms

CB - With a large antenna up high on both ends, and using SSB maybe.

MURS, two watts, by law. Not going to happen.

GMRS, which may soon be license free is five watts with antenna/ ERP restrictions. If you want to buy into a repeater, 30 miles no problem, no repeater, no comms.

I see this question about every other month. Short of finding a working set of Star Trek communicators, it just isn't going to happen, and in urban terrain, even less of a chance.

If you had a ham license, you could set up a low cost Digital voice QRP system, but each part would required a transceiver, large antenna and on and on. Several hundred for each node.

LincTex Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
cnsper

Liked 1245 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 403

cnsper is on a distinguished road

Smoke signals but they are worthless on stormy or windy days.

**When government expands, liberty contracts - Ronald Regan
**If ignorance were gun powder, you would be a weapon of mass destruction.
**Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. ~Frank Leahy

Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
rf197
Trying to find a way

Liked 153 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 95

rf197 is on a distinguished road

Without having 2 cans and a 30 mile long string I'd say no.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
k0xxx
Supporting Member
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 589

k0xxx is on a distinguished road

As the others before me have said, the short answer is no. Even in licensed services, 30 miles in real world conditions can be iffy for mobile or portable, depending on terrain. There's always Satellite phones, but in a true SHTF situation they may be restricted or disabled.

At my age, rolling out of bed in the morning is easy... Getting up off the floor is another story.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
zombieresponder
random gibberish

Liked 265 Times on 190 Posts

zombieresponder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRinAK View Post
The fast answer is - No.

The last set of Communicators I had to dump because the unobtainum batteries couldn't be recharged.

You have very little choice for non-license radio coms

CB - With a large antenna up high on both ends, and using SSB maybe.

MURS, two watts, by law. Not going to happen.

GMRS, which may soon be license free is five watts with antenna/ ERP restrictions. If you want to buy into a repeater, 30 miles no problem, no repeater, no comms.

I see this question about every other month. Short of finding a working set of Star Trek communicators, it just isn't going to happen, and in urban terrain, even less of a chance.

If you had a ham license, you could set up a low cost Digital voice QRP system, but each part would required a transceiver, large antenna and on and on. Several hundred for each node.
I'm pretty sure that GMRS can run up to 50 watts. I'd have to go read part 97 again.

No man who is not willing to help himself has any right to apply to his friends, or to the gods."
Demosthenes

Old 04-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #7
Bobbb
I sold my soul to the internet

Liked 2732 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Bobbb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsper View Post
Smoke signals but they are worthless on stormy or windy days.
You just think that they're worthless. What you're actually seeing with smoke signals on a windy day are ENCRYPTED smoke signals. The smoke looks noisy but if you have the decryption algorithm then you're golden.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
DKRinAK
As smart as

Liked 155 Times on 98 Posts

DKRinAK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieresponder View Post
I'm pretty sure that GMRS can run up to 50 watts. I'd have to go read part 97 again.
A GMRS system consists of station operators, a mobile station (often comprised of several mobile units) and sometimes one or more land stations. A small base station is one that has an antenna no more than 20 feet above the ground or above the tree on which it is mounted and transmits with no more than 5 watts ERP.

Source -
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

The MURS has a two watt limit, but no antenna restrictions or ERP limits - it is a no license class service - but you must use type accepted radios.
crabapple Likes This 
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
invision
Supporting Member - Crazy Huh?
PS_SUPPORTER.png

Location: up there, over there, down there, - quiet I KEEL YOU - Ka-boom, three Ps --peanuts, pecans, and peaches.
Liked 922 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 70

invision is on a distinguished road

Take the technicians exam... A little less than a week of studying and then your good to go... You can get 2 YAESU FT-8800R units and can definitely hit 30 miles... And if terrain is an obstacle, then you can bounce off a repeater...

Space For Rent!

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Shammua
No Effort No Rewards, Big Effort Big Rewards

Liked 76 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Shammua is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by invision
Take the technicians exam... A little less than a week of studying and then your good to go... You can get 2 YAESU FT-8800R units and can definitely hit 30 miles... And if terrain is an obstacle, then you can bounce off a repeater...
I am currently studying for my technicians exam. Woohoo!!!
How hard is it to get your general afterwards? I'm pretty interested in being able to talk to Japan since that is where my son is going to be stationed at real soon.

Quick Reply